Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EATC o-ring repair - How to... with pics.

Thanks to all the guys who shared their knowledge about the EATC O-ring fix. You're postings of How-To's, pics and part n's really saved me a lot of cash and maybe my marriage too. A shop quoted me over $500 to replace the EATC. And the wife hasn't been happy since the AC stopped coming out of the vents. So its a win win all around. I was able to drive over to McMaster Carr since its local to me, get the O-rings and swap out in just a couple hours. Worked like a charm. Thanks again! Peace...
    2004 Marauder

SVT Contour 3L

Mine only comes out through the dash vents. No defrost or floor. A/C and heat work fine but only through vents. Anyone else ever have this? O rings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadasvt View Post
    Mine only comes out through the dash vents. No defrost or floor. A/C and heat work fine but only through vents. Anyone else ever have this? O rings ?
    Contact fastblackmerc. He can help you:

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=99619

***_***_****
    Last edited by Canadasvt; 12-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadasvt View Post
    Thank you Ambitious for the direction.
    Thank you to fastblackmerc for ALL the help.
    You'll also want to put a small amount of silicone dielectric grease on the o-rings before you install the plunger. Will help in the long run.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I hope this is the right place for this. Sorry if this was already covered somewhere.

I replaced EATC o-rings, and now I have new symptoms.

BEFORE o-ring replacement, I had no fan speed control and no vent selection control (hi-speed defrost only). But I was able to control the temperature.

AFTER o-ring replacement, I fully regained vent selection control. But TWO things happened.
    1. The fan speed is touchy. I have some control (a lot more than before o-rings), but it still seems a bit erratic.
    2. I immediately lost control of temperature control. After plugging the unit back in and testing the vent selection, I tried to change the temp and I immediately heard the blend door motor clicking, then it stopped and all temp control was lost. I reset the code and it happened again. Freon and compressor are good.

So the obvious question: what's going on here? The timing of the o-ring replacement and the new symptoms seems suspect. Why would fixing the vacuum issue within the EATC cause new problems in the blend door motor and potentially the blower motor?

Quote Originally Posted by 04allstock View Post
    I hope this is the right place for this. Sorry if this was already covered somewhere.

I replaced EATC o-rings, and now I have new symptoms.

BEFORE o-ring replacement, I had no fan speed control and no vent selection control (hi-speed defrost only). But I was able to control the temperature.

AFTER o-ring replacement, I fully regained vent selection control. But TWO things happened.
    1. The fan speed is touchy. I have some control (a lot more than before o-rings), but it still seems a bit erratic.
    2. I immediately lost control of temperature control. After plugging the unit back in and testing the vent selection, I tried to change the temp and I immediately heard the blend door motor clicking, then it stopped and all temp control was lost. I reset the code and it happened again. Freon and compressor are good.

So the obvious question: what's going on here? The timing of the o-ring replacement and the new symptoms seems suspect. Why would fixing the vacuum issue within the EATC cause new problems in the blend door motor and potentially the blower motor?
    Are the internal connectors (plugs) on the pins in the right orientation?

Are the two electrical connectors on the back of the EATC inserted fully?

Did you kink or disconnect the vacuum hoses?

Did you complete disassemble the solenoids to do the repair and reassembled them wrong?

Did you check the vacuum manifold for leaks?

Did you run the EATC self-test?
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 12-05-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Original pictures not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    Original pictures not available.
    Pictures!

We don't need no stinkin' pictures!
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Are the internal connectors (plugs) on the pins in the right orientation?

Are the two electrical connectors on the back of the EATC inserted fully?

Did you kink or disconnect the vacuum hoses?

Did you complete disassemble the solenoids to do the repair and reassembled them wrong?

Did you check the vacuum manifold for leaks?

Did you run the EATC self-test?
    yes
    yes
    no
    maybe
    no
    yes

When the vacuum hoses are disconnected from the back of the unit, I was getting suction only on the black hose. I assume that's normal?

yes
    yes
    no
    maybe
    no
    yes

When the vacuum hoses are disconnected from the back of the unit, I was getting suction only on the black hose. I assume that's normal?
    Vacuum on the black (source) hose only.

Maybe? - Did you take out the spring and the plunger?
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Vacuum on the black (source) hose only.

Maybe? - Did you take out the spring and the plunger?
    Yes, I removed the spring and plunger on all four, and replaced the o-ring with a red silicone o-ring with dielectric grease. Maybe was in reference to if I put it all back together correctly, though I'm pretty sure I did.

Yes, I removed the spring and plunger on all four, and replaced the o-ring with a red silicone o-ring with dielectric grease. Maybe was in reference to if I put it all back together correctly, though I'm pretty sure I did.
    Very easy to put the plunger in upside down.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Very easy to put the plunger in upside down.
    Good to know. Would an upside down plunger cause blend door issues like the one I described? What is the best way to know the plungers and everything are in correctly? Is there a diagram somewhere?

The blend door is electrically-operated and should not be affected by anything vacuum-related. If it was working properly before you opened the unit, I'd say you have a wiring/connector issue.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information