Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Tuner To Buy

What Tuner To Buy

As stated in my other post (below), I need to get a tuner to program my car so that it drives like it's supposed to. I know that there are different options available, and some are newer than others.
    What is the latest thinking on the best tuner for optimizing a NA MM? I naturally want better shifting, rev limiter removed, and any other goodies that a tuner can program for.
    Thanks in advance.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    As stated in my other post (below), I need to get a tuner to program my car so that it drives like it's supposed to. I know that there are different options available, and some are newer than others.
    What is the latest thinking on the best tuner for optimizing a NA MM? I naturally want better shifting, rev limiter removed, and any other goodies that a tuner can program for.
    Thanks in advance.
    You want a tuner that lets change the program, or a tuner that simply performs a file transfer function???
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    You want a tuner that lets change the program, or a tuner that simply performs a file transfer function???
    That's part of my problem, Smokie, I don't know much about what's out there and what they do. With my chip, I just plugged it in and drove away.
    I think that some tuners just download a specific program for the car, and that's that.
    I think that there are others that let you "fiddle" with certain settings and set them like you want them. I don't know if I trust myself to pick out the right shift points, etc. to self-program the car's computer. I could mess something up pretty bad if I mis-programmed something.
    I'm kind of starting out from a position of ignorance on this (what's new?)
    Maybe a new chip is best for an electronically challenged guy like me, anyway?
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

That's part of my problem, Smokie, I don't know much about what's out there and what they do. With my chip, I just plugged it in and drove away.
    I think that some tuners just download a specific program for the car, and that's that.
    I think that there are others that let you "fiddle" with certain settings and set them like you want them. I don't know if I trust myself to pick out the right shift points, etc. to self-program the car's computer. I could mess something up pretty bad if I mis-programmed something.
    I'm kind of starting out from a position of ignorance on this (what's new?)
    Maybe a new chip is best for an electronically challenged guy like me, anyway?
    If you don't feel comfortable making changes, then you might consider buying a chip from Dennis or Lidio, they both offer highly touted custom tunes for the MM. You contact the vendor of your choice, provide a list of your mods and they can burn you a chip that will improve your car's performance.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Thanks in advance.
    Ross, I have an SCT Xcalibrator for sale. See the classifides. PM me if you have any qestions.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Somebody Double-dog Dare Me!

I bought an SCT ExCalibrator from Lidio about 3 months ago and haven't used it yet-too skeered to chance ruining my warrenty. Kinda dumb to spend the money and then chicken out!
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

No risk in voiding your factory warranty with a programmer.I double dog dare you!

If you need to take the car back to the dealer, returning it back to stock calibrations takes five minutes.
    On the other hand:
    The chip will be detected if they look, the pcm has a seal that must be removed to fit the chip
    If you change your rear gear ratio too, might be hard to explain why the speedo is off.
    If you are not going to use it, go ahead and sell it!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod
    I bought an SCT ExCalibrator from Lidio about 3 months ago and haven't used it yet-too skeered to chance ruining my warrenty. Kinda dumb to spend the money and then chicken out!
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

I think any tuner that you buy will show an improvement from stock settings. I have Lidio's tune, and am very pleased. The major change is with the shift points. You will also notice that under WOT your car will almost scare you before it shifts to the next gear.

What ever you decide, most any after market tuner will give you much better results than what you got from the factory. We have vendors here that can help you. Pick one, and enjoy!
    John
    (oldekid)
    2004 DTR MM (Reba)
    Build Date: 05/25/2004
    # 3020 of 3213
    # 931 of 981 DTRs

If your car has already had a chip, and you don't feel comfortable changing anything yourself, Replace the chip with an SCT chip.They are less expensive than hand held tuners.

Unless you want the ability to retrieve check engine lamp codes and see what they are.Then I would buy a hand held tuner with these capabilities.ie superchips tuner 9100 or Excalibrater 2

Thanks in advance.

My ExCalibrator is the "II" model (no chip), it just plugs into the OBD port, removes the factory calibrations, and downloads the Lidio tune. I think it is a handheld tuner also! It's also supposed to be read/reset trouble codes capable. I will install it by next spring, if not before putting the car in storage next month. My understanding is that a Ford technician can tell the car has been re-programmed at some time, even if I reload the OEM program before I bring in for warrenty work.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod
    My ExCalibrator is the "II" model (no chip), it just plugs into the OBD port, removes the factory calibrations, and downloads the Lidio tune. I think it is a handheld tuner also! It's also supposed to be read/reset trouble codes capable. I will install it by next spring, if not before putting the car in storage next month. My understanding is that a Ford technician can tell the car has been re-programmed at some time, even if I reload the OEM program before I bring in for warrenty work.
    A car that was tuned back to stock is not detectable at the dealer level and I doubt it is detectable at the factory level either. Stop worrying, you'll be fine and your really gonna enjoy the new power and especially the improved shift patterns.

Thanks Claude

Who says I'm chicken?

OK, carfixer, you "Master-Tech", if you say so. I accept Bradley's double-dog dare and will do it! If Ford ties me to a whipping-post and gives me 40 lashes and then sends me to Singapore for a caneing, I will have Mammy Yokum give you both a double-whammy!

ΓρεεκΓοδ

go with Superchips. I've had nothing, but good luck.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Get an XCal2, they're super easy to use and can be used to clear DTC's. I love mine, retains your stock program as well as 1 other custom tune.

Also allows data logging and user adjustabiliity if you so choose.

Both Lidio and Reinhart sell them with their custom tunes. Which one you choose is based on the hcanges they make and which you prefer. You can search for info on their seperate tunes or check the sponsor section and visit Alternative Auto and Reinhart Automotives website to compare.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information