Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery light flashes

Battery light flashes

A few months ago my battery light flashed on for a split second then went away. Nothing came of it so I just shrugged it off. It happened again today accompanied by a noticeable loss of power. It was just for a split second and the car drove just fine afterwords, but it is still irksome. Any ideas about what might be going on? Thanks in advance.
    The Black Pearl & White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    A few months ago my battery light flashed on for a split second then went away. Nothing came of it so I just shrugged it off. It happened again today accompanied by a noticeable loss of power. It was just for a split second and the car drove just fine afterwords, but it is still irksome. Any ideas about what might be going on? Thanks in advance.
    Replace it, it has had a long, glorious life, but it is about to die.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Get your charging system checked.....then you will have a better idea of whats going on
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

Is there an easy way to check this? I don't have a Fluke or anything, and I don't really want to take the car to a shop since I'm new to the area and don't know of any reputable places.

I was thinking about replacing the battery anyway with winter coming up, maybe even the alternator since I'm about to turn 70k.
    The Black Pearl & White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Is there an easy way to check this? I don't have a Fluke or anything, and I don't really want to take the car to a shop since I'm new to the area and don't know of any reputable places.

I was thinking about replacing the battery anyway with winter coming up, maybe even the alternator since I'm about to turn 70k.
    Take it to a FLAPS, they should be able to check out the battery & the charging system.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

mine has done it randomly as well. i monitor the scan gauge very closely for voltage.

never did figure out why it does it
    2010 fusion se

Lead acid batteries are only good for about 5 years of use - give or take depending on actual use and quality of care/cleanliness.
    If it's five or more years old and acting up, change it out before the winter comes and kills the battery which just might kill the alternator too!

Solution?

I am experiencing this same battery flicker problem infrequently. I have replaced the battery and alternator and today it flicked on/off again. Did anyone find out what the cause is or can share their experiences on how to fix this problem for good?

Is this happening during WOT or during normal driving?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

When I just start the car and put it in reverse to pull out it has stalled out on me twice. I have had it go dead on me in traffic. I replaced the battery and alternator and it flicks on/off when I drive still and stalled out again today when I reversed in a parking lot to leave. It almost feels like the idle is too low and it just conks out but starts right up once I put it back in park and start it up again. Is this a sensor issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kwkbox View Post
    When I just start the car and put it in reverse to pull out it has stalled out on me twice. I have had it go dead on me in traffic. I replaced the battery and alternator and it flicks on/off when I drive still and stalled out again today when I reversed in a parking lot to leave. It almost feels like the idle is too low and it just conks out but starts right up once I put it back in park and start it up again. Is this a sensor issue?
    You didnt mention it stalls in your text. Clean the IAC valve

IAC valve has been cleaned already. I will let you know after a ground check.

Just got alternator, starter, and battery tested at AutoZone. He noticed my battery was at 98% and I never reached 13 volts and the highest it would read was 12.6 volts. He told me I most likely have a parasitic draw somewhere that needs to be traced. Anybody run into this? Is the 6 disc changer running all the time or what?

Mechanic says the IAC valve needs to be replaced and the software of my car needs to be updated for it. Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by kwkbox View Post
    Mechanic says the IAC valve needs to be replaced and the software of my car needs to be updated for it. Anyone else experience this?
    Software update? Uh no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information