Thread: 2004 supercharged Marauder 4R70E rebuild

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow 2004 supercharged Marauder 4R70E rebuild

Marty from MO's speed shop contacting me about a customers Marauder that was getting an Eaton supercharger installed and needed the transmission to be rebuilt to handle the increased HP. The guys at MO's removed the transmission from the car and I picked up for a rebuild.

Got the transmission to my shop and disassembled. The residual fluid drained from the transmission was dark red, almost brown and had a varnished odor. I found the transmission had previously been rebuilt. A Dorman pan had been installed and the Magnet was left out of the pan. The aftermarket filter had failed and separated from the grommet , the filter was laying in the pan. A trans-go shift kit was installed. The transmission mount rubber was completely separated and the metal safety rivet was all that was holding it together. An extra steel plate had been added to the forward clutch pack, under the pressure plate. Normally, the forward clutch has a minimum operating clearance of .050", with the extra steel installed the clearance was ZERO. This is very bad, because it means the forward clutch was engaged at all times, even when its not supposed to be. This unintended engagement caused damage to the forward forward sunshell, there are deep grooves and almost all the tabs have 1" cracks down the side. The 2-3 accumulator piston was damaged, I am not sure how this happened, but I am really surprised the direct clutch (3rd gear) worked at all. The over drive servo snap ring was broken and the reverse band was worn.
    After the valve body was disassembled I found one the check balls was lodged in one of the holes in the separator plate. it appears the hole was drilled off center and sharp edges captured the check ball.

Full rebuild was performed, new seals, gaskets, clutches, steel plates, both bands and the valve body was rebuilt.

The forward clutch material was upgraded from the tan paper material to a blackish/green dynax material. This friction material is more resistant to heat and doesnt burn as easily. This is a factory upgrade Ford introduced in 2010 and most production models already got this clutch friction material. Some of the aftermarket rebuild kits are starting to come with this style clutch friction disc now. when I reassembled the forward clutch, with out the extra steel plate, the clearance was perfect at .060"

The intermediate stub shaft was upgraded to a unit made out of 300M alloy, which is stronger than steel, but more flexible. which means it wont shear under high torque load.
    The intermediate one way mechanical diode is upgraded to a heavier unit with more locking teeth. This piece is factory installed on all 2007 and newer transmissions. The factory snap ring that holds the one way clutch in place is replaced with a heavy duty spiral snap ring and staked in place.
    A sonnax OD servo pin was installed in the case as well as a new OD band. The Sonnax pin had rubber o-ring that seal the pin to the bore in the case, this eliminates and pressure leaks caused by a worn pin. The OD band material is updated from the brown paper to the black high carbon material that resists burning.
    Lubrication modifications were performed to the direct drum input snout. This increased lubrication to the planetary bushing and sungear bushing that contacts this area. Lubrication modifications were also done to the front pump stator, This increases lubrication to the forward clutch circuit, reverse clutch circuit and one way mechanical diode. All critical areas when you have increased load/torque and heat from a supercharger.

The normal valve body modifications were performed. The factory separator plate was replaced with a superior Tuff plate and the Sonnax shift valves are installed. All of the Trans Go pieces were removed and placed in the trash. The new plate was drilled for firmer shifts on 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift.

The transmission was air tested for proper operation and an LPW deep cast aluminum pan was installed. I replaced the broken mount with a good used one and delivered the transmission to be installed in the customers car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Thread Information