Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trailering car to shop, have a few questions

trailering car to shop, have a few questions

Hey, I am trailering my car approx 2 hours to the shop that is going to work on my car. What is the best way to strap down the car to the car trailer? It is an open trailer with a full floor that has 4 welded strap hooks on each corner. The guy that lent me the trailer says to put some rags in the wheels and strap the car to the trailer through each wheel.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

1968 Ford (Galaxie) XL fastback, 390, factory buckets & auto on floor
    2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

You're kidding right????
    U haul has trailer tips and suggestions if you really don't know.
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

You can strap the wheels with a special soft strap made specifically for that, or you can simply hook the two engine mount holes (bottom of K member) for the front. For the rear I use the two small holes in the bottom of the frame under the rear doors and crisscross the straps to avoid rubbing on anything. I’ve left it in gear and in neutral for many hours and never an issue. I use good quality 2” ratchet straps cut down to the exact length I need.

Just make sure to retighten the straps a few miles from home once she settles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

My opinion- here is what I do:

I always crisscross --in a -X- type strapping. Thru the wheels with the straps=
    This is left rear wheel to right rear trailer hook point and right rear wheel to left rear hook point.
    Same for front wheels to their opposite front hook points.

This keeps car from jumping from springing on trailer to either side and stays in place--NEVER FRONT TO BACK STRAPPING-
    Last edited by Marauderman; 07-17-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: clairification
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

I worry about hooking up to the frame since the suspension will be moving when going over bumps etc. Just don't want the straps to come loose. I used to go around the axle housing years ago, but with the brake lines etc, makes me nervous. That's why I thought the wheel idea seemed to accomplish hooking up to an unsprung (no suspension) part of the car at all four corners. My wheels aren't perfect. Is there some other reason I shouldn't do this?

Oh, I just saw Marauderman's post. That sounds good.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

I’ve towed mine across many states many times and never a problem with suspension or car movement. Crank it down like you don’t want to lose it.. Tighten again in 5-10 miles, set cruise, and fogetaboutit.

As for crisscrossing (like I do on the rear and mentioned above) be careful as some states it’s apparently illegal and they will write you up on it so I’ve read.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

You prolly don't want to secure it by the wheels only. I would think that would allow the full weight of the car to bounce up and down and might create stability issues.

Of course, I could be wr- wr- wr...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Wheels are a bad idea, depending on where the strap goes through the wheel. If a wheel moves, you have a loose strap, and a loose car.

Hookups with straps, do not use straps with metal hooks, they will bend, they are not designed for the weight of a car, let alone one bouncing on a car trailer.

Use hooks and straps designed to go into the torque box’s on the frame, depending on the trailer, if it has rub rails, you can use a wheel strap that goes around the top of the tire, comes out on each side and hooks to the rub rail.

In my case, I have aircraft track welded to my deck and use Mac’s wheel nets on each wheel, but without seeing the trailer, it’s tough to tell you what type strap to use.

Then you have to figure tongue weight, electric brakes, etc.

Copied off Mac's website........

Tie-Down Tricks

Inspection and Maintenance Tips

Inspection: Always inspect straps prior to each use. Webbing that is cut, frayed or abraded should be replaced immediately. Mac's offers rewebbing services for used assemblies as well. Just give us a call or email for info.

Never use any oils, solvents, acids, etc. on the webbing itself. When necessary only lube the mechanical workings of a ratchet or cam buckle with a lightweight lube such as WD-40.

Exposure to Sunlight: Even though Mac's uses only top quality webbing with UV protection to make assemblies, sunlight is still a killer. When not in use, don't leave your straps laying around on the deck of your trailer in the sunlight. Ideally, store them in a cool dry location. This will greatly prolong the life of your straps.

Routing: Be careful of how your straps are routed. Avoid sharp edges or abrasive surfaces whenever possible. If this cannot be done, make sure you add some protection between the webbing and the surface in question. Keep in mind that Mac's offers straps with sleeve protector already in place.

Cleaning your Straps: Warm, soapy water and a good scrub brush is the best method. Once the cleaning is complete, hang the straps up to air dry. Avoid cleansers with bleach or acid as these will weaken the webbing.

Last edited by Spectragod; 07-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

I've always just strapped it down with good ratchet straps to the front suspension and rear axle. If you get a good solid attachment point anywhere you'll be fine. Like bob said, always double check the straps after driving a short distance. Once I rented a Uhaul trailer and all it came with was the front straps that go completely over the front tires. I added two straps to the rear axle and all was good.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    I've always just strapped it down with good ratchet straps to the front suspension and rear axle. If you get a good solid attachment point anywhere you'll be fine. Like bob said, always double check the straps after driving a short distance. Once I rented a Uhaul trailer and all it came with was the front straps that go completely over the front tires. I added two straps to the rear axle and all was good.
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm sure I will get ragged on, but, I put straps on the 4 wheels and I did what Bob suggested and ran the X straps in the frame holes in front of the rear tires to the back hooks. The night before, after airing up the tires, I took it for a local test drive with the car on the trailer and it rode good. I made a couple minor adjustments. Double checked everything before I left this am and after about 30 minutes down the road, I triple checked everything and it rode perfect and no issues the rest of the way. One thing about southwest Florida, is the interstates are smooth, no bumps and the only hills are the overpasses, lol. Next....BOOST!!!!

No ragging here! A bit of overkill but load stayed put and that’s all that matters.

Best to ask for suggestions from others who’ve towed this vehicle than to guess. Mine isn’t a trailer queen, I just tend to have fun on outings and drive it like it was built for. If something breaks, load her up, enjoy the Lariat on the way home, spend more money at earliest leisure.

I finally learned my lesson one night at the drag strip out of state on a school night with the wife and kids...

SOLD 12/31/2021

Never hurts to ask.
    Little late now but I have short straps with metal loops on the end for strapping the vehicle down by the wheels. I run a 2" strap through the loops and over the top of the tire. Have to watch that the metal loops don't bite the wheels or pinch a valve stem. I put them on all 4 wheels. Have never had anything move on me including delivering a car to long island (3-4 hr drive), or on a slippery rollback bed at a previous job.

Ratchet straps over the trunk lid and over the hood should do. Try not to smoosh the wipers.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Ratchet straps over the trunk lid and over the hood should do. Try not to smoosh the wipers.
    Don't you have to crank them down really tight to keep them from moving around if a big bump causes the suspension to bottom out? Likewise on the upstroke don't you risk paint or metal damage. I have only ever trailered something on a U-Haul dolly where the front wheels were restrained on the dolly and the back wheels of course just trail along, so I am no expert on this. I only raise the point out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    I don't think I'd ever do that.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information