Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder Leaking

Unhappy Master Cylinder Leaking

Noticed that the master cylinder was leaking. 60k on the car currently. Any suggestions on best place to get a replacement. Something in between dealer and auto zone? Will install myself.
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

It could not hurt to see what the dealer will charge.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Funny this thread popped up. I had a brake flush done this weekend with new brakes installed and something still dont seem right. I have about a 1/4 free play before I start feeling pressure. I think I may need a master as well.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Make sure you bench bleed the master

Quote Originally Posted by BigCars4Ever View Post
    Noticed that the master cylinder was leaking. 60k on the car currently. Any suggestions on best place to get a replacement. Something in between dealer and auto zone? Will install myself.
    Bench bleed the new one before you put it in to make sure there is little to no air added to the systemto make it easier then leave the bleeder screws open on the calipers after install and flush out all the old fluid in the car to remove all moister build up in the fluid.

Break fluid does build up moister and most break lines rot from the inside out due to this. So any time the system gets something replaced it is best to flush it all out.

Fuel systems and Break systems are basicly the only things that do build up moister.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoVampire View Post
    Bench bleed the new one before you put it in to make sure there is little to no air added to the systemto make it easier then leave the bleeder screws open on the calipers after install and flush out all the old fluid in the car to remove all moister build up in the fluid.

Break fluid does build up moister and most break lines rot from the inside out due to this. So any time the system gets something replaced it is best to flush it all out.

Fuel systems and Break systems are basicly the only things that do build up moister.
    Sorry, I can usually restrain myself from pointing out typos, but its Moisture.
    Don't hate me because I'm weird

2003 300A BLACK DD
    Sequence # 4569 of 7839

Silver Inserts / K&N CAI / Drilled - Slotted Rotors
    DR Xcal2/Under drive pulleys (thank Rich)/180 T-stat
    EMP water pump / Denso irridiums (thanx Rich)
    Diamond Plate Radiator Cover and Air Dam, made by and broken in by magindat.
    Custom Embroidered SB Head Rests (Thanx Rich & Rex)
    Running with no mufflers, makes me sound fast!!

Upgraded Sound System (John's Stereo)
    -Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ XM & iPod
    -Pioneer Premier Speakers
    -MTX TC3001 Amp
    -MTX 10" Sub w/ Custom Box and LEDs (magindat)
    adopted 6/12/07 - 20,956 Miles
    SOLD 2/23/13 - 73,286
    Contemplating a battery handle delete

Sorry since my last stroke my spelling isn't the greatest

Quote Originally Posted by arejayesss View Post
    Sorry, I can usually restrain myself from pointing out typos, but its Moisture.
    Don't hate me because I'm weird
    Brain tends to think slower about the details.

Brain tends to think slower about the details.
    Sorry, like I said I'm weird like that. There are grammatical and spelling atrocities much worse every day on this forum and others. No offense was intended and hopefully none taken

2003 300A BLACK DD
    Sequence # 4569 of 7839

Silver Inserts / K&N CAI / Drilled - Slotted Rotors
    DR Xcal2/Under drive pulleys (thank Rich)/180 T-stat
    EMP water pump / Denso irridiums (thanx Rich)
    Diamond Plate Radiator Cover and Air Dam, made by and broken in by magindat.
    Custom Embroidered SB Head Rests (Thanx Rich & Rex)
    Running with no mufflers, makes me sound fast!!

Upgraded Sound System (John's Stereo)
    -Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ XM & iPod
    -Pioneer Premier Speakers
    -MTX TC3001 Amp
    -MTX 10" Sub w/ Custom Box and LEDs (magindat)
    adopted 6/12/07 - 20,956 Miles
    SOLD 2/23/13 - 73,286
    Contemplating a battery handle delete

Not at all I am use to it actualy.

Quote Originally Posted by arejayesss View Post
    Sorry, like I said I'm weird like that. There are grammatical and spelling atrocities much worse every day on this forum and others. No offense was intended and hopefully none taken
    As long as I do not lose my Knowledge of Car and PC repairs I can handle the rest.

I can't work for a living anymore but love helping and doing for freinds and neighbors.

No worries, not my first master cylinder replacement. Have a vaccum bleeder that makes it a one man job. Just wasn't happy with the quality of the rebuilt Autozone part. But it was for a 92 Vic and it's all the car deserved.
    Last edited by BigCars4Ever; 04-07-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: afterthought

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

The local dealer wants $214 for a new Ford unit and Napa wants $137 for a new United unit. Is the Ford marking worth $77??

Performance
    Dress

Quote Originally Posted by BigCars4Ever View Post
    The local dealer wants $214 for a new Ford unit and Napa wants $137 for a new United unit. Is the Ford marking worth $77??
    Tell them you're a Ford Employee or for a family member. Usually they do not check, and should be good for 10 - 15% off.

NAPA should have a lifetime guarantee?

Roll with them if the case.

Damn, what happened to the days of buying these for ~35.00?

Mike.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1836

interestingly, the "Dorman" brand remans have two different Part #'s, one for W/ Traction Control, one WO/ Traction Control.

I didn't realize traction control would make a difference...
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

So you can flush out by leaving all four bleeders open? Wouldn't this suck air back into the system (through the open bleeders), wouldn't you want to close the bleeder each time the brake pedal is to the floor?
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan View Post
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1836

interestingly, the "Dorman" brand remans have two different Part #'s, one for W/ Traction Control, one WO/ Traction Control.

I didn't realize traction control would make a difference...
    That's probably because our cars have 2 different MC as I found out via carfixer in doing a linelock install. The outputs are reversed on some models.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

My Garage

You guys know more about this then I, but: I read somewhere that when dealing with a leaking master cylinder you need to look closely at the vacuum booster as well. The leaking fluid will damage the vacuum seal on the booster and lead to repeat failures. Is this accurate?
    2003 300B
    VIN: 677166, #6738 of 7839
    built: 2/13/03
    wrty start: 5/28/03
    69,810 miles @ adoption from Marauder57 02/21/07
    84,197 on 02/21/08
    95,776 on 02/21/09
    109,301 on 02/21/10
    121,447 on 02/21/11
    125,925 on 02/26/12
    130,375 on 01/01/13
    134,831 on 2/4/14
    149,441 on 2/24/18
    Dark Blue Pearl, #128 of 327

Inherited mods: 4.10's, 180 'stat, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Ceramic-coated Cobra Manifolds, DR's X-Pipe kit w/hi-flow cats, KVR X-Drilled Brake Rotors (rear), PI 3000 TC, DR's Tranny Upgrade 1.5, DR's Rear Engine Cooling Mod, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Zack-Mack Rear U&L Control Arms.

My mods: aluminum lower grill screen, tranny cooler, DR's NoIC Novi SL 1200 S/C kit self-installed 8/11-8/14/08, Zack's tranny tune, dyno tuned by Justin Starkey @ VMP Tuning: 447 RWHP/386 RWTQ. DDM 5000k HIDs, KB BAP w/upgraded wiring, RacerX modded FPDM, front springs cut 1.25 coils

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information