Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voltage issue...

whtknt2 Guest

Voltage issue...

Recently I purchased a stock 2004 Silver Marauder with 44,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle about 2 weeks now and the voltage dips from 14 (seems normal range) to about 10/12 when stopped at a light etc. It's especially bad when any accessories are on like A/C or the defroster. The voltage goes back to 14 when I continue to drive. Sometimes when its down low it spikes back up to normal. Ford has run diagnostic tests and found nothing. The battery and alternator appear fine under their tests. Another independent shop ran tests and they too couldn't find anything. To date they're only suggestion is to install a 200 amp alternator and see if that works. There is no cost to me luckily as the car is under a special 30 day warranty. Anyone have any thoughts as if this might solve the problem or what might be going on? Thanks!

Diodes going bad in the alternator, high resistance on your battery cables, loose cables, bad ground(s), Mine had the same problem with 16K on the clock, in my case, it was the alternator. FWIW.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Get a tune with the idle raised, that will help right there.

Mine did that too...

Re-charged it...

Then it just went away...

ALOHA
    Last edited by Local Boy; 03-30-2009 at 10:23 PM.

'03 A Build Date 8/02
    F.I.T. #6 ***RESURRECTED***
    *444 RWHP / 401 RWTQ
    *10 lbs. Boost
    *P1SC1 ProCharger
    *SCT Tuned *SCT Big Air 2400 MAF *BAP *GT 40 Fuel Pump *Modified FPDM *SSW Headers *MMX Drive Shaft *Metco Drive Shaft Loop *Metco Control Arms *T/A Stud Girdle w/ Diff Cover *Addco Sway Bars 3,500 Stall B/C Auto. Torque Converter *J-Mod *Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit *Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rear) *Widened Rims w/ 295 Nitto 555 *Autometer Wide Band A/F

When I turn on my car...It returns the favor

Maybe the car has underdrive pulleys on it,Zack's suggestion would cure the problem then.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLar View Post
    Maybe the car has underdrive pulleys on it,Zack's suggestion would cure the problem then.
    Assuming nothing is wrong, and it had UD's, yep, that will fix it. My car had a tune, no UD's and had the same issue, bad alternator.

I would suggest measuring voltages at load, at the battery and at the alternator, see if there are differences, or if the voltage at idle is less than 13.9 VDC.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Post a pic of the pullies I bet there underdrive's

Classic UD pulley symptom. Raise the idle. Go on with life.
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

whtknt2 Guest

voltage isuue...

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll look into the alternator again and pulley system along with the idle!

whtknt2 Guest

Voltage issue...

Well the shop installed a new 200 amp alternator and the vehicle was still having voltage issues. They checked the pulley's and all seemed stock. When I bought the car it came with a new Optima Red Top battery. They now say after checking some TSB on the car that the battery may not have enough energy in reserve, seems fishy? Instead they took that battery out and replaced it with a traditional lead type much cheaper, sometihng to do with the gel type versus traditional...I've been looking at the few TSB's on this car and can't find any battery related info nor any TSB about alternators that they said they looked at. Scam or no scam, you tell me...thanks

Well, it's great you have a nice new 200Amp alternator. The Optima Red Top tells me the previous owner was serious about his battery and they may have had issues?

Take this to a GOOD shop and they should be able to diagnose the problem. It appears you don't want to diagnose/test it yourself?
    Black 300 (aye?)
    Built 10-25-02.
    #5736, 1 of 470 built for CANADA (aye?)
    75,000 km's
    4.10's
    K&N CAI
    Custom Dyno Tune

whtknt2 Guest

voltage issue...

Thanks for your reply. I bought the car through CarMax and only had it for 8 days before the issue. Luckily they have a bumper to bumper 30 day warranty so they did the repairs sort of. They couldn't figure it out so they sent it to Ford and neither could they. So in the end the car ended up at a Fleet specialty shop. I took the car in on March 17 and getting it back April 14. Almost a month...

I hope they at least gave you a loaner.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

Quote Originally Posted by whtknt2 View Post
    Well the shop installed a new 200 amp alternator and the vehicle was still having voltage issues. They checked the pulley's and all seemed stock. When I bought the car it came with a new Optima Red Top battery. They now say after checking some TSB on the car that the battery may not have enough energy in reserve, seems fishy? Instead they took that battery out and replaced it with a traditional lead type much cheaper, sometihng to do with the gel type versus traditional...I've been looking at the few TSB's on this car and can't find any battery related info nor any TSB about alternators that they said they looked at. Scam or no scam, you tell me...thanks
    Fishy??? you bet. Scam??? +1! Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about.

The battery is only used to start the car, once started it runs off the alternator.

"They checked the pulleys and they all look stock". Know what underdrive pulleys look like... you guessed it STOCK. Difference is in the diameter.

Bet it has UD 's on it and all you have to do is raise the idle..............
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Okay,so how about somebody who has a set of stock pulleys laying around measure them and let him know what the diameters are. I can't measure mine on the car because it's already been moved and is in storage.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information