Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Montreal

Coming to Montreal

I am going to Montreal today and will be there from tonight on until this coming Sunday.

Between now and Wednesday I am going to have a lot of time on my hands since my wife will be working and I will be checking out the sites.

If we have anyone in Montreal who wants to hook up I can be reached at
    Hotel LeSaint Sulpice
    414 Rue St. Supice
    (514) 288-1000. Leave a message for Stra.

I don't know if we have any Montreal Marauder owners here but if so, let's connect.

Best,

Dan

TripleTransAm Guest
    I believe I live in the vicinity of Montreal ...

I'll give you a shout, things are kind of crazy nowadays but it'd be fun to hook up.

You're staying right smack in the middle of the old town, very scenic and a stone's throw away from the old Port and all it's waterfront relaxation! And the weather should be nice, so the 'scenery' pleasant, to say the least.

Yeah, you're in a great neighborhood. Go eat at the Keg, awesome baked garlic shrimp... Tons to see and do in that area.

Wish I was there. Snow should be gone by now...

What's the Old Steakhouse down there /Steve? Gibsons? Gibby's? I think that's it...it's in 'Old Montreal. I use to stay at the Chateau Champlaign...too bad you're not there for the 4th of July...KILLER Jazz-Fest!!!

I'm sure /Steve will make sure you see *cough* all the "culture" you want.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Gibby's... actually, I'm due to visit that fine eating establishment soon, my wife and I promised ourselves a nice night out when we sold the house and... well, we sold the house, so...

For the culture-curious, it's always nice to visit Les Deux Pierrots on St.Paul which is right down the street from his hotel, to catch the local Chansonniers (translation: sort of "troubador" or folk artist) singing Quebecois folk music, usually just acoustic guitars, and usually just b*tching about the evil English and what they're doing to the french-Canadian peasants.

The other culture TAF is referring to... hey, his wife is in town too, you know!

That was the one part of work I always enjoyed while I lived there, was the lunch "Meetings"....

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    The other culture TAF is referring to... hey, his wife is in town too, you know!
    Hey...I WAS referring to the "folk-art"

Uh huh...

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    What's the Old Steakhouse down there /Steve? Gibsons? Gibby's? I think that's it...it's in 'Old Montreal. I use to stay at the Chateau Champlaign...too bad you're not there for the 4th of July...KILLER Jazz-Fest!!!

I'm sure /Steve will make sure you see *cough* all the "culture" you want.
    Ah!!! My man Todd---there's not a place he hasn't been... or knows something about --or directions to and from---a Library of info--Ain't he Great!
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

OK. I am here. I see that I have a mesage flashing. I will get it and get back with you guys. I am hoping that it is a message from one ofyou.

Dan

GREAT!!!! I heard from Steve and left him a message back. I bet some fun comes of this.

I have to go eat now but I can't wait to tell you guys about the X5 that I went up against on the way up. What a blast!

Best,

Dan

The X-5 story....

I think that it was an X5 4.8. Perhaps it was a 4.4 but I don't think that the 4.4 has the type of pull that this guys vehicle had. Anyway...

While on the last 16 miles of NY State I was travelling at around 80 and an X5 blew past me. He must have been travelling at 110. I saw him coming too late so my attempt to accelerate next to him was not successful. Further that with the fact that he wound up getting through a section of traffic that held me up.

After I got throught the pack he was still in the distant view. Sight distances on 87 in this area can be up to a mile and a half and I was NOT going to get pinched at warp speed.

So, I came up to this one long stretch and decided that I was going to catch him. I have to say that it was the longest time I have spent travelling above 120 in my life. Certainly enough to become a bit more comfy with it. (Please note that there were no cars to be passed during this stretch.)

After a bit I caught him and we ran along side of each other like a Panther and Bull running side by side. He figured he could play with me but each time he would pull out I would pull up and pass him by a half a nose and then come back down. We were playing this game of "who has the most torque at high speeds" at around 110.

I was on top of him each time, of course.

I could see that he knew the road so I motioned with my hand in a gentlemanly fasion for him to take the lead and we proceeded to motor on down the road with him in front and me pacing him from about 3/8-1/2 a mile behind.

There was one time when I got hit with laser in the rear. I think he did, too. It was funny because he sped up just then and I took his cue. After a mile I saw no evidence of any one interested in asking for our licenses.

He got off of exit 42 and, as he did, he rolled down his window and gave me a big thumbs up.

I have too much respect for the guys in the BMWs who actually know how to drive so I would not call this a kill. It was more like two swordsmen fencing with their practice gear on. I mean, this guy actually used his blinker on every single pass that he made. Who, in America, does that?!?

It was quite a bit of fun.

Best,

Dan

On Martinis in Montreal...

In CT you can go just about anywhere and they know how to make a Martini. I can order a Martini in CT like most moms can order a "venti half caff non fat no foam two pump light ice extra equal mocha no lid" at Starbucks and the 'tender can go right to it. If I want a Bombay oliver twist, extra cold, stirred-not shaken, with a water back they go to work and I have the exact drink I want in under a minute.

In Montreal most bars don't even chill the glass. I was in a restaurant the other day and ordered a Martini and wanted to know what types of gin they had. Her answer was "ONE". I got a Martini from a bar and they used PITTED OLIVES.

There is one place in Old Montreal that seems like they can do it right. It is called Brandy's. I am going to try there tonight.

ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH. Maybe it is just Old Montreal that is like this. Maybe, if I went to the Montreal Hard Rock it would be different. My problem is that I really dislike going to franchise places when I am away.

Oh well. The food is good. The women are gorgeous. The people are friendly and laid back (for the most part). And the city is beautiful.

Best,

Dan

PS: As an interesting aside I have learned that "watering hole" is not a local term here in Montreal. The guys at my hotel are so desirous to offer great service that when I asked him "Where's the nearest watering hole?" he looked at me with the most curious look. Once I explained it to him he got it but it was quite funny.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-19-2004 at 07:05 AM.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Montreal's a big town... lots of bars, and most of them aren't in the old Port. If I had more advance notice, I might have been able to take a day off and lead you to some of the trendier areas (there are about a half-dozen at least) but with my life schedule it would be tough to get freed up in this fashion now.

In any case, if you're still online, check your phone messages, I left you a message about tonight's musclecar gathering (20 years and older, but they usually appreciate all cool cars), or we could just hook up for a long lunch somewhere.

And then there's Friday nights at Laval, which (if the damned weather warms up!) is usually populated by hundreds of cool musclecars that hook up at a burger joint at a mall just north of Montreal... always some cool street-driven muscle to behold.

I'll have to wash the damned car first, though.... my construction site is still just sand and mud for roads, and I just haven't had the time to wash the car in over a month!

Steve,

I am sorry about the short notice. It seems that everything in my life is that way.

It was good to talk with you on the phone. I am looking forward to tonight.

Best,

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information