• World Rally Challenge

1 5.88%
  • NASCAR

8 47.06%
  • CASCAR

0 0%
  • IHRA

2 11.76%
  • I don't like auto racing, you insensitive clod!

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montreal Grand Prix - CANCELLED

Montreal Grand Prix - CANCELLED

http://www.canada.com/national/story...9-79AECBB1ABD8

http://sports.canada.com/default.asp...APN2712101.htm

Unbelievable. We lost team Players - responsible for launching more Canadian drivers into Indy and Formula 1 racing - hot on the heels of Paul Tracy (canuck) winning Toronto and Vancouver, 5/9 races so far this year!

Now, I don't condone smoking - day 5 so far without one - but come on! We lost all major drag racing events because of unleaded fuel! Now Formula 1 too!
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

I enjoy NASCAR, but I really enjoy bikes.
    AMA Superbike and MotoGP. Valentino Rossi is perhars the best racer in any sport.

2003 MM Black
    2000 ZRX Black, the fast one!

They need to replace it with two US grand prix races: one east coast, one west coast.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Seems now that the head of the FIA, Bernie Eccelstone knows nothing of the cancellation.

http://www.canada.com/national/story...4-3AE8D4A80DC2

Normand Legault, the race organizer may be trying to get FIA to cancel the race so he can bring a CART race to the Gille Villeneuve raceway.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Long Live #3 Guest
    IRL is prepared to take over if CART goes down hill. They'll even race at Road America.

I'd love IRL and CART to mend fences and play happy again. But this guy just wants to promote himself, not FIA or Formula 1.

Road America would be cool. Laguna Seca too. We don't get many races televised from there, and it's always been one of my favourite tracks.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Long Live #3 Guest
    I go to Road America every year! Except for this year. We spent too much money in Daytona.

TripleTransAm Guest
    I recalled this thread had been started a few days back and figured the following article would be relevant... or at the very least kinda funny.

http://www.pitp***.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=7096

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I thought everyday was the Grand Prix in Montreal???
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by RCSignals
    I thought everyday was the Grand Prix in Montreal???

Only in the frigging west end of the Island. Wish I knew how good I had it when living in the east end or just off the south shore of the island... I probably wouldn't have moved on-island out here in the West. Everyone's stressed out, and every other vehicle on the road is but an insignificant annoyance.

But then again, it's the craziness out here in the west end of Montreal that prompted me to seek more sturdy means of protecting myself on the road than a 4 door Civic... and lo and behold what's this beautiful and sturdy hunk of metal called a Marauder?

I honestly sometimes need to get out of this area just to go back to enjoying driving again. If there's one thing I had to say to describe how the rest of Montreal (not the west end) drives, I'd have to describe it as "low tolerance for left lane squatters"... and I can deal with that just fine, thanks.

Ahhhhh, LaSalle or Verdun? I have family there and south of the island. I agree, south of the island is worse. Glad I don't have to drive it.

Traffic there isn't as bad as on the 401/427 in Toronto...Oi! (imho)

And very low tolerance for jaywalkers...I had that honour in April on Ste. Catherine's.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by Dr Caleb
    Ahhhhh, LaSalle or Verdun? I have family there and south of the island. I agree, south of the island is worse. Glad I don't have to drive it.

You think? I have a great time cruising around the southern area: parents are just across the river from the island of Montreal, and until a few years ago I used to spend a lot of time in the east end (family, etc.). But since moving to Kirkland, I find I enjoy driving a lot less. I'm just happy to get to my destination without shedding blood... (bonus if it's not my own...).

I see it on a daily basis, driving my son to my parents' place. Craziness in the west end, followed by a sudden transformation to reserved and courteous driving as I cross the river. The main boulevard near my house is 50 kph max... cruising speed is average 90-100 kph (I'm NOT exaggerating). Near my parents' place, again it's 50 kph and on the main boulevards, you'll MAYBE see 55-60 kph. I suspect it's the local cops... I had a great rapport with cops on the south shore (they knew me on sight, shiny black GTA cruising respectably around residential areas) but here in the west end, there is NO enforcement of ANY traffic laws. Pathetic...

As for jaywalking, well... if you're not a jaywalker, you're not a Montrealer! Ste.Catherine street is insane by car... just TRY to make it across an intersection in your car when it's GREEN in YOUR favor!!! One almost needs a cow catcher...

Left-lane squatters are shot on sight... then driven back to Ontario and dumped on the side of the highway...
    Last edited by TripleTransAm; 08-14-2003 at 03:02 PM.

Angry

You think? I have a great time cruising around the southern area:

but here in the west end, there is NO enforcement of ANY traffic laws. Pathetic...

As for jaywalking, well... One almost needs a cow catcher...

Left-lane squatters are shot on sight... then driven back to Ontario and dumped on the side of the highway...
    I shouldn't be thought of as an authority on Montreal traffic - I usually use the Metro when I come to town. I was at my cousins on the south shore and they were doing construction on I'le Charron, near the tunnel. What a mess! At the time, I found traffic worse on the south than on the west of the island - but i was only there a few days. You survive it daily!

Double! 100 in a 50 zone! Where are the LEO's and photo radar when you need them! That's just NUTS!

Yes, Ste. Catherines is an experience, especially with a few wobbly-pops!

Our left lane squatters and red-light runners tend to be gravel trucks. Rush hour on the Whitemud Freeway can be an interesting experience too...ohhh if only guns were legal here...I hate being tailgated at 20 over the speed limit by a Kenworth...(In the right lane!!!)

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Oh, if you're referring to traffic outright, yes it's pretty bad. The layout of the city sucks. It's an island, and was initially colonized in the mid 1500s. So, considering a town that was incorporated in 1642 on the shore of an irregular shaped island (a sock) and then grew while at the same time sprouting neighboring communities all across the island... and then trying to interconnect all these once things met. Getting from the west end to the east end during rush hour is an exercise in futility... the road network is very badly designed.

And to make things worse, there's a lousy mountain right smack in the middle of the island.

Still, overall I like the city. Crime is manageable, I can drive around at any time of day or night with the T-tops off without fear of being robbed or ***aulted or car-jacked. And this even in the 'bad' parts of town (if you can call them 'bad' parts... I've driven through the south side of Chicago at night... 'nuff said).

Local law enforcement... what's that? We have a street festival once every two months or so, when a local citizen spots a cop car in our neighborhood. Sometimes it's a false spotting (white minivan with company plates, rental late model Impala, etc.) but we still enjoy the party that ensues.

Oh, and that 50 kph boulevard I mentioned that runs at close to 100 kph... that's what I've clocked on the section that runs right in front of the local cop station. I run out of balls at 85 on that stretch, but little old ladies in Corollas will zoom right by me at close to 100.
    (not exaggerating... I can take video to prove this!)

Oh, if you're referring to traffic outright, yes it's pretty bad. The layout of the city sucks.
    [/i]
    I'd have to agree with ya there. I like Montreal, but some drivers shouldn't be driving. Edmonton is pretty cool. the city is cut in half by a river, and we're almost finished a ring road - high speed (80-90kph) all the way around the city. No stops, no lights.

Still, overall I like the city.
    Agreed. Montreal is a nice city. You'd like Edmonton. I had a cousin down from Montreal in June. The thing that got her was the pace and the people; Slow and easy, polite and friendly. She said it only took her 2 hours upon return to Montreal to have someone swearing at her.

(if you can call them 'bad' parts... I've driven through the south side of Chicago at night... 'nuff said).
    *shudders*. Never been there, but it must be harsh.

Edmonton is very low crime. Very little violent crime too, mostly car thefts and domestic violence. Quite a few high speed wrecks lately though.

Local law enforcement... what's that?
    Surete de Quebec...Oh, nevermind. I see. Inspector Cluseau.

[i]the M
    but little old ladies in Corollas will zoom right by me at close to 100.
    (not exaggerating... I can take video to prove this!)
    I believe you. The main problem we have here is tailgaiting. Doesn't matter what speed you are doing in which lane, someone wants to tailgate you. In the spring it rained then froze, several days worth. I was scared to drive 30 kph in my company 4X4. And people were tailgating me! Un freaking believable! Semis yet! I counted 54 cars in the ditch on my way to work - 38 km. More than 1 car per kilometer! And they still wanted to go faster!

I need 'bush bumpers'. Would my CV look good with police issue crash bars?

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information