Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers Side Window

Drivers Side Window

The subject is correct but the car is in reference to a 2006 Crown Vic--Although a P71, I wouldn't think much different--anyway-- it will not go down /up--nothing--stuck in the up position thank goodness--

A check of the local steelership estimates about $600 to fix--yeah--unbelievable--so naturally am in need of the alternate and its not me--

So how is one to determine what is wrong to buy the part even for another to do the labor--or not possible without taking door assembly apart? If that is the case I must find someone who is familiar or done it before and not at those prices--right?
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

There’s couple in that might be wrong with it. It can be small as sticky switch to motor and regulator being bad. Both motor and regulator combo would run about $120ish. The labor is not that intense but still need to be careful with the glass when removing it and installing it back on right.

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Thanks---yeah that's the whole concern--I think I know a good friend who may be able --its time we have a visit anyway---wonder if he is reading this--Hello??

is there any spray to try--say
    WD-40 maybe? would that cause an electrical issue
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    All New Parts

In Memoriam....11-14-13

My passenger window was in the same predicament as yours and it was just the contacts in the drivers side switch dirty again. Is yours trying to do something or nothing at all?

If they were able to give you a quote then what was the quote for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

X2 what Gerry said.

1.check for a blown fuse, easiest thing to start with.

2.Driver's side switch is a known problem area on CV's Rock auto is cheap/easy to swap in.$33.

3.If you check those two things and it still does not work, then a non-dealer shop should be able to fix that way cheaper than $600. FYI: motor is about $25, and the regulator is about $25. Window relay is more about $70. The hard part is finding a big rivet gun and drilling out the rivets when replacing the regulator. Took me about an hour to R/R mine.

(probably the fuse, switch or the motor.)

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    My passenger window was in the same predicament as yours and it was just the contacts in the drivers side switch dirty again. Is yours trying to do something or nothing at all?

If they were able to give you a quote then what was the quote for?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No --window seems frozen --no movement when you piush the button--$est was 600 from dealer--really--get serious---

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    X2 what Gerry said.

1.check for a blown fuse, easiest thing to start with.

2.Driver's side switch is a known problem area on CV's Rock auto is cheap/easy to swap in.$33.

3.If you check those two things and it still does not work, then a non-dealer shop should be able to fix that way cheaper than $600. FYI: motor is about $25, and the regulator is about $25. Window relay is more about $70. The hard part is finding a big rivet gun and drilling out the rivets when replacing the regulator. Took me about an hour to R/R mine.

(probably the fuse, switch or the motor.)
    Thanks--will check for fuse tomorrow--and see from there--
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    All New Parts

In Memoriam....11-14-13

Even if it's the regulator / motor

Marauderman,

I can encourage you on this. I ended up replacing both rear regulators on my 04 DTR. It was not my favorite job, and you will cut and scratch your hands, but it is not awful.
    I used Dorman regulators (with motors) from Rock Auto and they shipped very quickly. Price for rears was something like $50 or $60 apiece, and I just did both while I was into it. Dorman claims that they have a better cable and guide design that helps against breakage. That hooked me, but who knows if they are really better. Price was competitive.
    The big rivets are aluminum and they drilled out very nicely, no problem at all. YouTube has a zillion videos on how to do this job - any CV or Grand Marquis video with a good explanatory guy will do - and I followed one, it was very helpful. I replaced the rivets with little fasteners with Nylok nuts and all was well.
    I have to think that the fronts would be very similar, so if "worst case" happens you will be fine. I work real slow and methodical - I'm a freaking engineer - but it still only took me 4 - 5 hours to do both.

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR

Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, check for power into and out of the window switch. It's easy to probe the connections when flipped over. Pop the front out first.
    My driver's window got stuck down. Cleaned the contacts and all is well.

I'm actually doing a replacement regulator assembly this weekend for another member.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

When you try to operate the window switch do you hear the motor running?

Did you try both switches - master switch and individual switch?

Test:

With the engine not running and the key in the RUN position, door open so you can see the dome light, work the switch and see if the dome light dims - if it does your getting power to the motor and the window is stuck - if not then you either have a non-working switch or a bad motor.

Fix:

If the window is stuck, bang on the inside door panel (just lower than the center of the panel) while operating the switch. You may free up the stuck motor.

If the window is not stuck or you hear the motor running then you most likely need a new regulator assembly.

If you think its a switch, try another switch from another door.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    When you try to operate the window switch do you hear the motor running?

Did you try both switches - master switch and individual switch?

Test:

With the engine not running and the key in the RUN position, door open so you can see the dome light, work the switch and see if the dome light dims - if it does your getting power to the motor and the window is stuck - if not then you either have a non-working switch or a bad motor.

Fix:

If the window is stuck, bang on the inside door panel (just lower than the center of the panel) while operating the switch. You may free up the stuck motor.

If the window is not stuck or you hear the motor running then you most likely need a new regulator assembly.

If you think its a switch, try another switch from another door.
    Will do check test tomorrow as I finally got the MM to say "ready" on the code scanner so I can get it inspected--took 168 miles to do it and a final quick run to 110 as I was getting pissed--that seem to do the trick--will remember to do that sooner---duh!

Thanks for the self check--will advise.
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    All New Parts

In Memoriam....11-14-13

[QUOTE=Keith;1560156]Marauderman,

I can encourage you on this. I ended up replacing both rear regulators on my 04 DTR. It was not my favorite job, and you will cut and scratch your hands, but it is not awful.
    I used Dorman regulators (with motors) from Rock Auto and they shipped very quickly. Price for rears was something like $50 or $60 apiece, and I just did both while I was into it. Dorman claims that they have a better cable and guide design that helps against breakage. That hooked me, but who knows if they are really better. Price was competitive.
    The big rivets are aluminum and they drilled out very nicely, no problem at all. YouTube has a zillion videos on how to do this job - any CV or Grand Marquis video with a good explanatory guy will do - and I followed one, it was very helpful. I replaced the rivets with little fasteners with Nylok nuts and all was well.
    I have to think that the fronts would be very similar, so if "worst case" happens you will be fine. I work real slow and methodical - I'm a freaking engineer - but it still only took me 4 - 5 hours to do both.

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR[/QUOTE

Thanks for the encouragement but that's just not in my ability to achieve at the moment--would rather spend that amount of time visiting my friend who is spot on in their repair--but he is a good drive from me--thats ok

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, check for power into and out of the window switch. It's easy to probe the connections when flipped over. Pop the front out first.
    My driver's window got stuck down. Cleaned the contacts and all is well.
    Thanks as well but don't have those tools and like said above my ability is just not good once I take something apart like that

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I'm actually doing a replacement regulator assembly this weekend for another member.
    May need to schedule a visit for same kinda work....plus a reunion

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderman View Post
    Will do check test tomorrow as I finally got the MM to say "ready" on the code scanner so I can get it inspected--took 168 miles to do it and a final quick run to 110 as I was getting pissed--that seem to do the trick--will remember to do that sooner---duh!

Thanks for the self check--will advise.
    OK-- one problem --its a P71 and they don't have dome light s on when opening door --BUT-- press of the button with key in on with door open hears a "click" inside door but no action--

Look for a PM
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    All New Parts

In Memoriam....11-14-13

[QUOTE=Marauderman;1560237]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Marauderman,

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR[/QUOTE

Thanks for the encouragement but that's just not in my ability to achieve at the moment--would rather spend that amount of time visiting my friend who is spot on in their repair--but he is a good drive from me--thats ok

Thanks as well but don't have those tools and like said above my ability is just not good once I take something apart like that

OK-- one problem --its a P71 and they don't have dome light s on when opening door --BUT-- press of the button with key in on with door open hears a "click" inside door but no action--

Look for a PM

NICE

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderman View Post

Look for a PM
    Sounds like the motor is bound up or stuck. Try hitting the inside door panel about in the middle while working the button - key in the RUN position.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 06-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Purchased mine on Amazon.
    Had it replaced across the street from the Junk yard.
    $50 including the 6 rivets.
    He was done in 20 minutes.
    6 weeks later, regulator broke again.
    Dorman has lifetime warranty, so ordered another one and returned it to Amazon. Paid the $50 labor again.
    I've had to replace all 4 door regulators due to breaking. Driver's twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information