Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sometimes car hard to start

One of the symptoms is I never hear the fuel pump come on. Anyway I went back out 20 minutes later and it fired right up this time
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    My truck was doing this off and on and it ended up being corroded wiring inside the insulation down at the starter. The wiring was literally green dust for about 5-6”s into the insulation. I ended up getting a whole new harness up to the battery from Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    . Probably all parts discontinued for us lol

Anyone decent at wiring should be able to repair or replace the harness.
    The corrosion inside the wiring is a common problem. Have installed several starters which required replacing a section of the harness for warranty to apply.
    Do you have complete loss of power at this point? Power to gauges but no crank?

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    The AAA jump worked because he has good quality cables.
    Yep, battery in the Ranger failed after 10 years while at work. Co-workers' jumper cables were garbage - thanked him anyway. AAA came out and it lit right off - new battery the next day. Marauder on its second battery. 10+ years for an auto battery has been normal for me when using a Battery Tender for 'maintenance' charging twice a year.

The current Mustang being the exception with 3-4 years tops (heat?). Marauder's first battery wasn't changed out until the year before I bought it - previous owner kept it connected to a Battery Tender year around.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

I had this same issue, no crank. In my car it was the harness located just above the transmission passenger side which was accessed from underneath. Mine wasn't clipped in properly and the issue was very random, my reverse lights would also not work.

Long story short my car would not start as it was showing that it was in manual 2nd gear when on the scanner (no power to starter relay) . Once harness was cleaned up and clipped back together issue gone and in my case reverse lights also work again.
    1987 GN running 10's. 2003 MM Blue Sold and dearly missed!
    2003 Black 300B
    Procharger P1sc with air to air intercooler
    3,000 PI converter
    4.10 Eaton posi 31 spline carrier
    Moser 31 spline axles
    Koos headers, with custom stainless exhaust, Megs tips
    Carbon fiber drive shaft
    Metco control arms
    Every autometer procomp gauge in the catalogue

did not equate "no start" to not cranking in the first post. Then, I wondered if he didn't have two things going on here...good comments, thanks for posting, now I'm checking all my wires...even though mine starts OK.

The symptoms are everything normal until I turn the key forward where you are supposed to hear the fuel pump whine, but instead silence and the car is dead except for the wacky door locks.

Anyway, car is running fine again for the last few days. So this problem seems to come randomly. Sometimes 6 months later and sometimes 1 month later or sometimes even 9 months later. I'm going to finally have it taken in but i figure they won't know what to do until it actually does it again.

Took the car to the stealership to hopefully find out more about my intermittent no crank, no start issue. They checked everything but the problem didn't resurface while the car was there so they weren't able to figure out what the issue might be.

So this still happens on occasion but I remembered this time to look at the flashing alarm light. And I noticed this last time when the car wouldn't start when I got stuck at the dental office, it keeps flashing even when I turn the key. From what I can tell when the car does start normally, the alarm light illuminates while the key is turned and solid, not as a flash. Which I assume is the normal operation. So I'm thinking could be my key is getting flaky (so carrying around an extra key now to try next time) or maybe it's that PATS thing?

So I think I finally got this one figured out...I think. So I went to the dentist office and it happened again. The car would not start. But I had my extra key on me. I tried the extra key and the car started right up. So I'm thinking my old key is intermittently bad. I think they have a chip in them that the PATs is supposed to detect and apparently this key is on the occasional fritz. I'll start using my extra key as the main key now.

Did using the spare key solve the problem?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Name: Bruiser.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, BLACK w/Charcoal.
    Built 09/04/03
    #261 of 1236 Blacks, 3213 total for 2004
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

"Come with me if you want to live
    ".

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    So I think I finally got this one figured out...I think. So I went to the dentist office and it happened again. The car would not start. But I had my extra key on me. I tried the extra key and the car started right up. So I'm thinking my old key is intermittently bad. I think they have a chip in them that the PATs is supposed to detect and apparently this key is on the occasional fritz. I'll start using my extra key as the main key now.
    If the spare key is not the solution I might have one that you could try. (Not key but solution).

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Name: Bruiser.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, BLACK w/Charcoal.
    Built 09/04/03
    #261 of 1236 Blacks, 3213 total for 2004
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

"Come with me if you want to live
    ".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information