Thread: Trunk lid out of alignment...

Trunk lid out of alignment...

Must be my week for dealing with whack on the MM...

My trunk lid is out of alignment, not closing flush with the body on the right hand side. Far as I can see, nothing bent, busted or broken.

Anyone handy with the remedy for this one?
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

Ther are two bumpers on either side of the lid, try adjusting them.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc
    Ther are two bumpers on either side of the lid, try adjusting them.
    Mine kept falling out so I glued them in with black silicone.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Yeah...it's not the bumpers. I think it's a hinge issue - as if the right side needs to be pushed back towards the rear window - just not sure what the adjustment is.
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

Ummm too bad you're in Cali or I'd adjust it for you. I was a Door, Deck and Hood fitter at Wixom Assembly.

Also too many variables to give an acurate description on adjusting it.

Lid could be twisted, latch might need to be raised, hinge to lid bolts might need loosened and adjusted, or any combination of them and that's just a few of the things I can think of.

I did 350 to 400 a night for 3yrs and it was never just one thing.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Last edited by STLR FN; 12-03-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

TripleTransAm Guest
    Same issue on my 2nd MM. Although it's the driver's side that needs pushing in (towards the rear window) more than the other. I've tweaked it a bit, luckily I still have the 1st MM sitting beside it so I can compare. Judging by the paint marks on the fasteners, I'd say it was installed this way on the assembly line (you can clearly see the factory VIN sticker right beside this, so it's not a repaint). Great Q&A... I spotted it within 10 seconds of first laying eyes on this MM, in a dark dealer lot!

How did you tweak it?
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

TripleTransAm Guest
    Disclaimer: do this at your own risk. I'm not going to be held responsible for the techniques I used to do this.

What I did was take a bunch of dirty detailing towels and pack them underneath the trunk lid at the back edge, between the open lid and the back window. My biggest fear was the trunk slipping back when I loosened it and smashing the back window...

So once I felt there was enough cushioning, I loosened the two bolts ever so slightly, until the lid could be coaxed into sliding down the support arm. One has to be careful here: there is some slack on all axes here... the lid will not only slide along the support arm, it will also tilt. I was extremely afraid of the inside end of the support arm poking a dent in my trunk lid surface from the inside, so hence I did not loosen the bolts anywhere near enough to have the lid flop around.

Once I got some movement of the lid, I retightened, removed the towels and carefully closed the lid and examined the gaps. I've only done one side so far, but will probably get a better job on both ends at once when I tweak the gaps on both sides simultaneously (well, one after the other, obviously.)

In comparing both my cars, there is obviously too much gap between the rear window and the rear edge of the lid, on both sides, so I know it's not a case of a bent trunk lid during the spoiler install.

I'll probably do both sides better this afternoon when things warm up a bit outside.

I'll also have to get around to applying some paint on the bare spots left behind now that the fasteners are no longer fastening on the factory spots. Again, I can't believe how this kind of stuff gets by the factory people...

Mad4Macs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    I'll also have to get around to applying some paint on the bare spots left behind now that the fasteners are no longer fastening on the factory spots. Again, I can't believe how this kind of stuff gets by the factory people...
    I hope that that earned a "No" vote on the quality of the '04!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Steve,
    Are you referring to the paint bare spots on the lid/hinge or the body gap margins? You won't believe the tolerances that the engineers tell us we have to accept. I don't agree with them and never will.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad4Macs
    I hope that that earned a "No" vote on the quality of the '04!

Both of mine are 2003s. Am I allowed to vote twice? (seeing as how I'm sampling two of STAP's finest...)

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STLR FN
    Steve,
    Are you referring to the paint bare spots on the lid/hinge or the body gap margins? You won't believe the tolerances that the engineers tell us we have to accept. I don't agree with them and never will.

I'm referring to the bare spots on the lid that are now exposed because the fasteners are no longer covering the same spot on the lid, now that the lid has shifted. This seems to indicate the lid and support were painted together. Which means no hint of having given a crap about adjusting the lid once the car was put together.

So now that the fastener is fastening on a spot that is partially covered by factory paint, I have parts of the 2 circular spots exposed that were never covered by factory paint because of the fasteners.

I have no doubt my trunk lid will line up much nicer once I get it aligned like my 1st MM, which is perfectly aligned.

Thread Information