Thread: Jury determines Crown Victoria safe

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)

Jury determines Crown Victoria safe

ILLINOIS JURY FINDS FOR FORD: POLICE INTERCEPTOR IS SAFE VEHICLE

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 15, 2004 - An Illinois jury today returned a verdict that the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is a safe, reliable police car, following findings by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) that the car exceeds federal standards for fuel system safety.

"No design can eliminate all risk in 70 mph or 80 mph collisions into parked police vehicles," said Ford attorney Doug Lampe. "The plaintiffs' attorneys were asking for a vehicle that's never been designed by a car company anywhere in the world - a car that is guaranteed to eliminate all risk of fuel leakage in such high-speed collisions. Instead, the jury used its common sense and found that the Police Interceptor has a proven record of safe, dependable service in high-risk police work.

"Ford is committed to making a safe car even safer, but courtroom engineering is not the answer." Lampe said. "To improve police officer safety in traffic stops requires a focus on the root of the problem: drunk driving."

There have been no accidents or injuries in the state of Illinois. This case was a class-action trial based on the value of after-market equipment sought by plaintiffs and did not have anything to do with personal injury.

This case was about plaintiffs' lawyers representing Illinois officers that have had no accidents, asking for compensation for equipment that was not ordered, not paid for, and that does not add to the safety of the vehicle. Neither the bladder nor the fire suppression powder panel is a proven technology. To improve police officer safety in traffic stops requires a focus on the root of the problem: drunk driving.

"The same plaintiffs' lawyers who brought this lawsuit also petitioned NHTSA to open an investigation into the Police Interceptor," Lampe pointed out. "NHTSA closed its investigation without ordering a recall. Having failed to convince the proper regulatory authorities, the plaintiffs' lawyers sought to have a court-sponsored vehicle designed by the lawyers, with the lawyers earning a percentage fee. But they failed in that effort, as well.

"If this issue comes to trial in other states, we believe there will be similar verdicts because the Police Interceptor remains the vehicle of choice by the people who drive them: law enforcement officers," Lampe said. "In Illinois and in the handful of other states where litigation is pending against Ford, the same departments included in class-action lawsuits continued to purchase more Police Interceptors even after the lawsuits are filed. Police themselves apparently don't agree with the allegations made by the plaintiffs' attorneys." Lampe noted that Ford has maintained its 85% market share in the police pursuit market for the last decade, despite the continued criticism of the plaintiffs' bar.

In the accidents cited by the plaintiffs' lawyers, the officers' stationary vehicles were struck by intoxicated drivers going at extremely high rates of speed - 70, 80 and even 100 miles per hour.

The Police Interceptor is designed to be extremely durable and safe. It exceeds existing safety regulations. Further, it even exceeds the next-generation of fuel system standards, which are projected to be first applicable to the 2006 model year. The Police Interceptor has earned the government's 5-Star crash rating, the highest vehicle crashworthiness rating possible. It provides body-on-frame construction, rear-wheel drive and a live-rear axle - features highly valued in police work.

State and federal accident data show that the rate of fires following high-speed rear collisions involving the Police Interceptor is comparable to other make and model vehicles, including those with the same or alternative fuel tank locations, despite its high-risk usage as a police vehicle.

Thanks, RC...Kinda sounds like the stuff we posted here about a year or two ago. Glad to see it come to rest, for a while anyway.

Funny how I don't expect this news to get published in the same channels, and with likewise enthusiam, as the media treated us to when PI crash fires were in the news.

At least the truth is out there - you're right, very few will be able to see it if they don't go looking for it themselves!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Funny how I don't expect this news to get published in the same channels, and with likewise enthusiam, as the media treated us to when PI crash fires were in the news.
    Give em time, the as*holes will find some other way to bash Ford Motor Company. So times I tend to think the media is employed by the rice 'a roni teams.
    Buy American because the job you may save, might be your own

2002 Ford Explorer XLT (Wife's Car)
    Build Date - September 11, 2001

2004 Marauder 300A (My Car)
    Silver Birch Metallic, Dark Charcoal Interior
    Build Date - September 19, 2003
    Delivered - October 2, 2003
    Purchased - November 24, 2003
    Heated Seats, 6 Disk CD Changer in trunk, Trunk Organizer,
    OEM Rear Spoiler, K&N Filter, Silencer Deleted
    GT Coil Covers w/ Thumb Screws

MY MARAUDER'S LIST OF BLING BLING
    Custom God's Head Grille and Deck Lid Badges
    God's Head Horn Button, Marauder Retro Fender Badges
    Dyno Pro Aluminum Door Sills, Bob White Inserts - Cardinal Red
    McGards Wheel Locks, Sylvania Silver Stars
    Deck Lid Liner w/ Marauder & God's Head Logo, Rear S55 Badge

Free at last ! Free at last !!!!! Now maybe I can get some sleep knowing that my CV will not -explode-

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Thanks, RC...Kinda sounds like the stuff we posted here about a year or two ago. Glad to see it come to rest, for a while anyway.

I'm sure it isn't all over yet either.

Don't look for a CNN or 60Minutes special on this any time soon.

Cool

It is refreshing to see a jury use common sense.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy
    It is refreshing to see a jury use common sense.
    something that does'nt happen in Kalifornie............
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Thread Information