Thread: Half of instrument cluster lights not working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Half of instrument cluster lights not working

Another random problem has popped up on the car. I switched to LED lights a few years ago. The ones I got were crappy and slowly starting going out after a year tops - the lights would flicker and flicker and eventually go all the way out. I am replacing all lights now, but when I replaced the illumination lights that went out in the instrument cluster, only 2 of them are working. I believe all of the warning lights are working, it's just the illumination lights. As you can see in the pic, only the one near fuel gauge and trip meter are working. Thus I can't see top of speedometer or RPM's at night.

If I take the fixture holding the bulb from a non-working section and put it into a working section, they light up fine, so does not appear to be bulbs or the bulb holders. Yes plugs are all the way in, jiggling things does not cause lights to light up either. Fuses all seem to be fine but I wouldn't think the illumination lights would be on a different fuse anyway?

Any idears?

Forgot pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Half of instrument cluster lights not working

LED bulbs only work inserted one way. Flip them 180*

They only work in other holes because the wiring is reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

What justbob said and it looks like you need quality LED bulbs.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Hmm I had thought about checking that - the thing is that I replaced all of the lights in the car, and all of them are working fine except for the ones noted in the instrument cluster, so I figured surely I did not happen to only mismatch the ones in there? And then assumed they must be able to be put in either way - I will check and update if that's the fix, thanks for the replies

EDIT: That was it!!
    Last edited by cashmonkey38; 04-22-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: update

Thread Information