Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeda Pulleys installed

Mard Guest

Steeda Pulleys installed

Installed my pulleys and I'm nothing but satisfied with the results. I've been amazed by how well our cars respond to "bolt on" mods. With the pulleys the car revs quicker and I believe I feel those 8-10 ponies. All of my mods have made over the last several weeks and this car simply hauls now . This car weights 4200 pound?....amazing!!!

Hmmmmm... what's next? Gears or exhaust?

I did the installation by myself and I would definitely recommend 2 people. It wasn't much fun laying under the car holding a socket wrench in one hand to lock the torque converter in place and in the other hand a breaker bar to bust the harmonic dampener pulley bolt loose. The directions don't tell you to do this, but remove the electric fan/shroud to have full access to dampener pulley with a puller.

My vote for you Mard, is Gears!I have heard others claim little to no gains from exhaust, (shorties) and I have never heard anyone who did not like the way the gears 4:10's made the car feel.I have a set of Steeda pullies that are ready to go on.Now since I have a seven foot reach maybe I can pull this off too!
    I did not get install instructions,as I bought them used, from a member here.Will Steeda give a install sheet? Thanks for the tip.
    Bradley G

Quote Originally Posted by Mard
    Installed my pulleys and I'm nothing but satisfied with the results. I've been amazed by how well our cars respond to "bolt on" mods. With the pulleys the car revs quicker and I believe I feel those 8-10 ponies. All of my mods have made over the last several weeks and this car simply hauls now . This car weights 4200 pound?....amazing!!!

Hmmmmm... what's next? Gears or exhaust?

I did the installation by myself and I would definitely recommend 2 people. It wasn't much fun laying under the car holding a socket wrench in one hand to lock the torque converter in place and in the other hand a breaker bar to bust the harmonic dampener pulley bolt loose. The directions don't tell you to do this, but remove the electric fan/shroud to have full access to dampener pulley with a puller.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Hey Mard,... have you experienced any electrical power loss since you installed the underdrive pullies?

I've heard it can be a problem at idle. I dont wanna have to put the car into neutral at every stop light, this is the only concern that has kept me from installing them.

Mard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    My vote for you Mard, is Gears!I have heard others claim little to no gains from exhaust, (shorties) and I have never heard anyone who did not like the way the gears 4:10's made the car feel.I have a set of Steeda pullies that are ready to go on.Now since I have a seven foot reach maybe I can pull this off too!
    I did not get install instructions,as I bought them used, from a member here.Will Steeda give a install sheet? Thanks for the tip.
    Bradley G
    Here are some directions that fastblackmerc posted that I found more helpful than the Steeda direction sheet. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...hlight=pulleys
    The small access panel is on the drivers side of the bellhousing on a forward facing surface. It is a black rubber material you can pry out with a screwdriver. Put your fingers inside access hole and feel for the torque converter nuts. You may need to slowly turn the crank bolt until one comes around. I used a 14mm deep drive socket on the nut and slowly turned the crank until the socket wedged up against the bellhouse. It took a few attempts until I got the socket positioned just right and then went to work on the crank bolt with the breaker bar (18mm).

PM me if you would like a copy of the Steeda instruction sheet. I can scan and mail you a copy.

I haven't noticed a lose in voltage the last couple mornings with the headlights, stereo and wipers on.

Thanks for the info Mard! enjoy you newest power adder.

Bradley G

Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde
    I've heard it can be a problem at idle. I dont wanna have to put the car into neutral at every stop light, this is the only concern that has kept me from installing them.
    Petro:

That shouldn't keep you from installing them...with a heavy accessory load (headlights, brake lights, heater, stereo) I noticed a very slight drop in voltage when sitting at stop lights...for the small amount of time you actually spend in this state, it's not a problem. When I was at Indy last year, I had Dennis raise the idle-in-drive by about 100 RPM (to match the idle in neutral) and it's now a complete non-issue.

Bradley:

You said you got your pulleys used...hopefully they came with the special installation bolt? You need it to start the new pulley onto the crank snout, then finish the job with the original bolt. By all means get a hold of a copy of the instructions before you take things apart as there's also a special torque-down procedure you need to follow.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    Petro:

That shouldn't keep you from installing them...with a heavy accessory load (headlights, brake lights, heater, stereo) I noticed a very slight drop in voltage when sitting at stop lights...for the small amount of time you actually spend in this state, it's not a problem. When I was at Indy last year, I had Dennis raise the idle-in-drive by about 100 RPM (to match the idle in neutral) and it's now a complete non-issue.

Bradley:

You said you got your pulleys used...hopefully they came with the special installation bolt? You need it to start the new pulley onto the crank snout, then finish the job with the original bolt. By all means get a hold of a copy of the instructions before you take things apart as there's also a special torque-down procedure you need to follow.
    Bradley:
    If you need the "special" installation bolt I can send you mine. It's just a longer than the original bolt, the instructions say it's 12mm X 60mm. You may want to get a new crankshaft bolt from Ford as a new bolt comes with the Steeda kit. I found removing the fan & shroud assembly made the job alot easier. Remember to remove the large washer after you remove the crank pulley bolt. Also put a dab of high temp silicone sealer (gasket maker) in the key way slot on the underdrive pulley. Torque specs are as follows:
    1. Torque to 66 lb-ft
    2. Loosen bolt one full turn
    3. Torque to 37 lb-ft
    4. Tighten bolt an additional 90 degrees.
    I put the full instructions up on the board soon.

Petro:
    The voltage at idle in drive with all your accessories running will be around 12v. Not enough to cause any damage, just the headlights will dim slightly until you accelerate.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde
    Hey Mard,... have you experienced any electrical power loss since you installed the underdrive pullies?

I have a 03 MM and It came Equiped with the Clutch alternator pulley which requires a special tool to remove, I Left the pulley on and just installed the crank and water pump pulleys. I did Notice a big difference in performance! and I also noticed a big drop in voltage also. At a idle, Rolling up a window with the headlights on put the voltmeter at 10volts, At a trafficlight the volts sit at about 12 and it even caused a noticable rough idle due to lower voltage to the injectors. However, Driving the Car put the volts at a normal 14 and I never had a problem starting the car or running accessories with the engine off. I bought the Car used so my Alternator may not be putting out the Voltage like it should and It may be only me with this issue lol but thats my experience with the Pulleys installed

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a
    I have a 03 MM and It came Equiped with the Clutch alternator pulley which requires a special tool to remove, I Left the pulley on and just installed the crank and water pump pulleys. I did Notice a big difference in performance! and I also noticed a big drop in voltage also. At a idle, Rolling up a window with the headlights on put the voltmeter at 10volts, At a trafficlight the volts sit at about 12 and it even caused a noticable rough idle due to lower voltage to the injectors. However, Driving the Car put the volts at a normal 14 and I never had a problem starting the car or running accessories with the engine off. I bought the Car used so my Alternator may not be putting out the Voltage like it should and It may be only me with this issue lol but thats my experience with the Pulleys installed
    True, you do not replace the alternator pulley. In fact the Steeda kit is actually for a 1996-2003 Mustang on which you do replace the pulley. I purchased an Excalibrator for DR and the tune on it increased my idle by 200 RPM, so no problems at idle, in drive with all accessories running.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc
    I purchased an Excalibrator for DR and the tune on it increased my idle by 200 RPM, so no problems at idle, in drive with all accessories running.
    I tihnk Ill look into a higher output alternator instead of buying a flash tune lol I already tuned the car with the Super chips Micro programmer and been happy with it, So I dont want to throw the $400 away and pick up another tune

twolow Guest
    I notice my voltage dip down to 12v at idle at night with lights on and I don't have modded pullies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a
    I tihnk Ill look into a higher output alternator instead of buying a flash tune lol I already tuned the car with the Super chips Micro programmer and been happy with it, So I dont want to throw the $400 away and pick up another tune
    Can't you increase the idle speed with your Super Chips micro programmer?
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Exclamation pullies install

Thanks RF,I will always read the instructions,then take the advice/tips of someone that bloodied thier knuckles before me! If not I will get some more qualified help

Bradley G

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    Petro:

Bradley:

Question Every thing needed?

That's a very generous offer if that is in fact is the size I need I will purchace one so when they come back off(TMS)I will have what is needed (even if it is for the next time user)Thanks for the torque specs/and tips fastblackmerc

Bradley G

Bradley:
    If you need the "special" installation bolt I can send you mine. It's just a longer than the original bolt, the instructions say it's 12mm X 60mm. You may want to get a new crankshaft bolt from Ford as a new bolt comes with the Steeda kit. I found removing the fan & shroud assembly made the job alot easier. Remember to remove the large washer after you remove the crank pulley bolt. Also put a dab of high temp silicone sealer (gasket maker) in the key way slot on the underdrive pulley. Torque specs are as follows:
    1. Torque to 66 lb-ft
    2. Loosen bolt one full turn
    3. Torque to 37 lb-ft
    4. Tighten bolt an additional 90 degrees.
    I put the full instructions up on the board soon.

Petro:
    The voltage at idle in drive with all your accessories running will be around 12v. Not enough to cause any damage, just the headlights will dim slightly until you accelerate.

Can't you increase the idle speed with your Super Chips micro programmer?
    No I cant only Gear Ratio, shift points,Shift Pressure and top speed limiter thats it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information