Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat broke!

Pflugerville, Tx (spittin' distance from Austin)

Seat broke!

On the way home today - my driver's side seat broke. The left side of the seat leaned back - following a snapping sound.

I'm a big guy - 350lbs (no cracks about that please) but I don't think that the bracket should have snapped... The part of the assembly that bolts to the actual seat bottom has a piece that is vertical - and -- well, look at the picture I attached.

My MM is an 03 - I guess I'm looking for my best option. Buy a new "rail unit" or go to a junkyard and get one off a wrecked GM or CV - and if that's the answer, what years are compatible? Or should I get a welder to fix it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd try the recycling yard (they are not called "junkyards" anymore) route.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If you're out of warrenty try Ray Sr "TheDealer" to see what he could hook you up with.
    Currently Marauderless but looking

Yeah, I'm out of warrantee.

I'll check with Ray - and try to find a recycler as well - in case I can find something local. What years are compatible?

Your Better off just heading to the Dealer if you have any Warranty left or just picking up the part you need by consulting our Member on here that can get it for you new.
    Anything Less then Brand New will just end up failing on you sooner then the OEM one did.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Arrow Tuff one?

Quote Originally Posted by txkent

I'm a big guy - 350lbs (no cracks about that please) but I don't think that the bracket should have snapped... The part of the assembly that bolts to the actual seat bottom has a piece that is vertical - and -- well, look at the picture I attached.
    WEll I have an '03 also 30,000 miles so far. I tooo am a BIG GUY 360lbs.

I know a good bodyshop could weld the break and make it better. Just have to look around? Or you could order new parts and have a shop weld a plate to make it stronger.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

The parts I need are $327 before shipping from TheDealer - I might try getting it fixed and still order and install the parts - just to have a better feeling about it. The break is on the bend - so I'm not sure how strong the weld might be - I'm not too up on that sort of thing.

I'm starting a new job on Monday - and I'm very lucky that the new job is in the same building my wife works at. (Where I used to work too). One of my old co-workers has a son that welds, so I might get him to take a look at it.

I'm pretty careful getting in my car. I don't just slam my butt into the seat - trying to keep things nice - although I did find a fair amount of crud under the seat that needed to be vacuumed out. Well, I guess if I do get the seat out this weekend - I'll drill a few holes and drop in a few rivets on the front flap that keeps popping loose. (and do a good cleanup of the area under the seat. Might also be a good opportunity to pop out the rear seat and finally fix that #*(#$%! subwoofer rattle.

The only sign that I've had all week that anything was awry was the seat was acting up when I tried to adjust it. It was acting slow. Oh well. It's just money. LOL (That I don't have)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogjim

I know a good bodyshop could weld the break and make it better. Just have to look around? Or you could order new parts and have a shop weld a plate to make it stronger.

As a Charter Member of the Bigass Club

I can only say that I am living proof that frequent and generous gaseous emmissions prevent metal fatigue and premature failure of seating componants.

Nah, if that were true, you could park a Mack Truck on my seat.

Thanks for making me smile about it. I've been in a crappy mood since it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    I can only say that I am living proof that frequent and generous gaseous emmissions prevent metal fatigue and premature failure of seating componants.

gray bear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by txkent

On the way home today - my driver's side seat broke. The left side of the seat leaned back - following a snapping sound.

My MM is an 03 - I guess I'm looking for my best option. Buy a new "rail unit" or go to a junkyard and get one off a wrecked GM or CV - and if that's the answer, what years are compatible? Or should I get a welder to fix it?
    I've broken a few seats myself. I have found that welding doesn't last as a fix, it just breaks again only worse. Bite the bullet and replace the part. I also found when I needed my part, that they wanted to sell me the entire bottom seat. I talked to a bodyshop man and he found just the part for me that was broken, not the whole magilla, at a fraction of the cost the dealership wanted. Hope you have the same luck.

Are those cookie crumbs under your seat???
    RIP 03 Procharged Marauder/FIT Kit #3.
    New Toy: 2001 Mustang GT built motor, heads, cams, and a Procharger D1sc. 539rwhp 457rwtq 11.5@125 on stock rear end and bald drag radials.

Arrow I agree with the "Big Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogjim

What he ^^^^^^^^^^^^said.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMarc
    Are those cookie crumbs under your seat???
    No, I don't think they are. But hey, it's my daily driver - and I only get to clean on the weekend... so it was at the end of the cycle.

Right now my plan is to wait until Monday - and order the 8 way power unit from TheDealer. I'd really hate to have a weld break as I'm travelling down the highway at a semi-illegal rate of speed.

Thanks for all the advice, and I promise that I'll clean up the carpet under the seat.

Had the wooden frame of a bed give out once ...

But I guess that's a whole nuther' story.

It was time for a new signature .....

Here it is .....

X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information