Thread: 2200sl belt slip issue

2200sl belt slip issue

What are you guys doing about belt slippage at high rpm? I already have 8 ribbed pulleys. I also just replaced the tensioner and belt. If I get a belt any shorter I won’t be able to put it on.

sorry to hear you still have slip with 8 rib.
    I am in the end stage of 8 rib upgrade, all thats left is a tune with Marty. I drove the car about 30 miles easy after the upgrade and before the tune, and there is a small amount of belt dust present. not much.
    I have a vortech v7 supercharger, a 10% od balancer and a 2.75 inch supercharger pulley.
    through many conversations on this board, it seems all this is left is a sturdier tensioner. however, 1) it would require mods to somehow attach it to the engine cover 2) these tensioners arent cheap, 3) cant find one online.
    this has left me dependent on the oem tensioner, and something better is probably my next improvement - just not sure how to proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

the Thump RRR single bolt tensioner would work, however, I think those have been discontinued… anyone got one for sale?

'03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I did a little digging this afternoon..
    https://americanracingsolutions.com/shop/tensioner/mach-1-street-performance-76mm-belt-tensioner/

link for ars tensioner

I think this one will work...not cheap!

Here is a good write up from 2017, where the modder used an ARS tensioner - I believe the above one.
    He had to modify the vortech SC bracket to allow the new tensioner to fit underneath.
    This is a good write up for anyone considering upgrading their MM to 8 rib, especially if the have a SC.

https://www.modularfords.com/threads...689/?id=244689

Many on this site will disagree with me, but this (in my opinion) is the only way I would install a centri

8 rib setup is a must
    3 bolt timing cover
    ThumpRRR tensioner
    Mechanical vacuum pump (independent PCV system)

i dont disagree!
    where do you find a 3 bolt timing cover ?
    does it need lots of modifications to “fit” a MM ?

I found that the pulley peaks were too sharp on a pulley. So I chucked the pulley up on my grinder motor and filed them down. You can see the shiny peaks from the belt before I flatened them.
    https://tinypic.host/image/Screensho...-Chrome.D3EMg2
    https://tinypic.host/image/Screensho...-Chrome.D3EHwU
    ~Chris

Thread Information