Thread: Testing the air compressor

Testing the air compressor

Is there anyway to run the air suspension compressor to make sure it is functioning properly? I need to determine if my bags are done or is the compressor the issue.

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

try this....

OK, here's what you do to get the car back up to ride height (if its the compressor that died, not the bags that blew.)

This works a little easier w/ 2 people, and an air compressor with a rubber tipped air nozzle (worked well for me, the tube type may as well if that's all you have) a small 5 gallon (@ 80ish psi) tank should have enough air in it. It doesn't take much air to get the bags back up

Pop the trunk, you will need access to the air ride switch. Remove the air box (if you have it, or other intake assembly) to reveal the suspension compressor beneath. locate the air line coming out of the small tank attached to the pump. remove the air line. Push the colored ring in and pull the tube out to remove it.
    with the air ride switch in the on position,and the air compressor all ready to go, have a buddy hop in the car and turn the key to 'On' but dont start it. in a couple seconds you will hear the compressor kick on/grind/howl (whatever noise it makes if any) and/or you will hear the solenoids 'click' from the rear bags. once you hear either of those, start pumping air from the compressor into the air line you removed. that will start to inflate the rear bags. keep filling until the suspension pump stops, or the rear solenoids click shut, or until you get whatever rear height you want.
    once you get to the desired height, go to the trunk and flip the air ride switch off so that the computer doesnt make the solenoids open again and you lose all your air. FYI having the air bag switch off will also make the 'air ride' light come on in the dash.

thats how you can manually add air to the bags and still drive around with a broken compressor. I did that for a week when mine went out..

also, my pump died because of the windshield washer reservior. You cant fill it more than 3/4 full otherwise it will slosh out of the little vent hole in the top of the cap and leak down onto the suspension pump and corrode it until it dies.
    "A street walking cheetah, with a heart full of napalm."

"If You can keep Your Head About You, While Others are Losing Theirs and Blaming It on You..."

"Sometimes it is wiser to remain silent, and seem a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt."

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."[5]

Replaced the height sensor on Firday and of course today the compressor went. I used this write-up to fill the air suspension. Thanks for the writeup it was perfect. I have an intercooler right there but all I had to do was loosen the windshield fluid jug, move it a bit and got the air house off in a few seconds.

Now to determine if I get a used compressor, but a new one with new bags, or go to a HD spring suspension package.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Buying a used compressor is a coin-toss, as with any used part. New ones from Arnott or Suncore are only $200. No need to replace the air bags unless you have a leak.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

i bought a used arnott compressor from kmatsl on here, about a 8 months ago and it works perfect. said it was 6 months old. to see if your bags are leaking, turn off your air suspension switch in the trunk(this closes the solenoids that allows air in and out), measure your height of the fenders at your rear wheels, both of them. let the car sit overnight, and before you move the car in the morning, measure them again. if your measurements are lower....you have a leaky airbag/s. as rf overlord said, no need to replace the bags if theyre not leaking.

when my compressor went up, i tried fixing it with no luck, and was told from a few people on here that if i went with the springs, id regret it.

these guys know these cars back to front, they've never given me bad advice.

bags don't leak so far - we changed the airbags out of my sister's GMC with springs and it rides better. With all the mods I have done to this car I'm not too worried about stock vs custom or getting the most out of it anymore. I rarely drag race, sometimes road race it but not concerned about "best" performance, I'm just into enjoying the car as much as I can
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Thread Information