Thread: I got my first car back on the road!

Talking I got my first car back on the road!

The first car I ever got was a 1990 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. My dad bought it new, kind of. It was purchased in fall 1991 after it had been sitting at the Chevy dealer for over a year. No one in Chicago wanted this S.U.V. and this was before they became mainstream.

When I was 16 it was my daily driver until I blew the engine less than a year later. Oil plan rusted though, oil leaked out and the engine froze up. It was rebuilt, but never quite right. Later I put in a Ram Jet 350 crate engine with EFI and it was great after that. After about 60,000 miles the trans went out and due to a major change in life, the truck had to sit.

For seven years it sat in storage. Nearly every one except my wife told me to junk it and throw the engine into something half the weight. Only about 2 people in my entire life understood the want to fix my first car, especially one that was purchased new. A few years back Eric (A Marauder owner near me) helped me pull the transmission. I had intention of putting in a junkyard one, but never made the time. Later, I realized if I wanted to do this properly, I better save my dollars and do it right. Get it rebuilt, new parts, TC, everything.

Well, due to horrible unexpected events this year I was forced to bring the truck out of storage. It was towed back to Chicago thanks to Eric again and brought into Chicago. After about a month of sitting in a body shop, it had to be moved again. I had it towed to my apartment and it sat in the street with no transmission attached. The transmission made it to a shop and gave me a huge discount for cash payment, plus being that I already removed it, zero cost on labor for install since I was doing it with assistance at home.

About a week went by and it was done. I was in a bit of a panic because I had never done anything like this before. I had a little help, but mainly for the heavy lifting (quite literally) and I was highly concerned for my safety due to the fact I was working on an uneven street with traffic going by. It's a one way and not a busy street, but I still needed help getting the trans in to balance it on the jack while tightening the bolts.

One night two guys came over to help get it up in the vehicle and another night another with the transfer case. I almost had to remove everything again because I noticed someone put in a torque converter bolt that was too long and the TC couldn't make a full rotation, getting the bolt out worked with extra long needle nose plyers and rubber bands for grip. No one told me to do it that way and a reliable source told me "The trans must come out."

So after that bolt was removed, proper one in I noticed the cross member was in 180ed. I corrected this. It was quite a learning experience due to 80% of the work was alone, in the street. The wife wasn't around to help and some of the people who were going to come over changed their minds. I don't like waiting for anything, so I decided to figure it out. I took it apart with guidance, why not give it a go?

I needed a project to keep my mind off of sorrow and this worked. As of yesterday I was driving down the street for the first time in seven years. I cannot express how rare this proud moment is and new confidence I have in working on cars. It's no special turbo project or upgrade, but to save $2,000 and get something rolling again is something that makes you feel good every time I put it in gear.

Final tuning will be done today due to the fact that it has the wrong TV cable, but I cannot believe I did this. I didn't have a book, nor did I really youtube anything other than how to install the TV cable, which I did correctly, but it's too tight. With a fresh transmission and a low mile 350, I'll be cruising all night. Maybe mudding for the first time ever, we will see.

Last edited by Motorhead350; 07-14-2016 at 01:08 PM.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Here is how it went...
    Last edited by Motorhead350; 03-18-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Way to go DOM

Wish I could say that I'd be driving my first car. By now, that thing is probably been a soda can twice.

Congrats--------that's a good looking K5.

Congrats Dom, good to see you got it going again. That thing is pretty nice for a 90', I cannot imagine anyone junking one that looks as nice as yours.....
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    Nearly every one except my wife told me to junk it and throw the engine into something half the weight. Only about 2 people in my entire life understood the want to fix my first car, especially one that was purchased new.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBLUE View Post
    Way to go DOM

Wish I could say that I'd be driving my first car. By now, that thing is probably been a soda can twice.
    Dom, Congrats on getting the Blazer running, its a good looking vehicle and I bet you more proud of it because you put the tranny in. .

I think a lot of us would love to have our first cars again. I agree with MMBLUE other than mine have probably hit the soda can market 5 or 6 times and created a new washer and dryer. 1st car a 1961 Ford Galaxie 500.

Well maybe not quite like the attachment, as it was a 4 door with rusted out rocker panels and a 292 V8 that the lifters just tapped like crazy. If any of you know the 292 you will know what I mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shornaday; 07-14-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Update
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Silver Birch
    2003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Aspen Green
    2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab - Silver Metallic
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 - Vermillion Red - Silver Frost

Happy K5ing
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Congrats, Dom! I know how much you liked that truck and glad it's finally got a second lease on life.

Love the pix of you working on it in the street at night with headlights like a true backyard mechanic...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Nice job Dom!. I love the gentlemans SILVER K5. It was the most handsome color. Congrats on just doing it! Looks very clean.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

We need a LIKE button!
    MARAUDERS get me ****!

Way to go I totally get it cuz my first car is in a shop being done now so awesome cant wait till I get mine done.
    # 2352 Lidio Built my Hot Rod... 2011 S55-001

Thanks guys!

This is actually Mercury Marauder silver. I might paint the wheels black. I love black wheels under a silver body, but it's a clean setup as is, might just clean them up.

Also, it needs exhaust work so I might do side pipes like the red truck in the movie The Driver. Might be too old of a movie for some of you.

Thread Information