Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Compartment Cleaning?

Engine Compartment Cleaning?

Fellas, I always like to keep a clean engine compartment, but I have never owned a car with such an advanced and "electronicized" engine. My old method of cleaning the engine was to use a can of Gunk engine degreaser, or maybe some Fantastik or Simple Green cleanser on a warm engine. Then carefully spray off the residue, being careful not to directly spray water into the air intake or the alternator, using light water pressure. However, I'm kind of scared to do that with my MM since it has so much stuff under the hood that I'm not familiar with, and I don't want to make an expensive mistake. What do y'all do to clean your engines? Thanks
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

I know this may shock some people, and probably give LML a cardial infarction, but I DON'T clean my engines...sure, I wipe up any liquids I spill (adding oil, or windscreen washer fluid, etc) but I've never been an advocate of spraying noxious chemicals and/or high-pressure water on a motor with so many electronic components...on my '68 Buick, yes, I do clean that periodically, but not anything made in the last 15-20 years...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

OK take everything I say here with a grain of salt,YMMV,IMHO.

Heres what I do,spray everything down with SimpleGreen then hose it off.Then I dry off everything I can get too.

All of the connectors under the hood are weather tight so water shouldn't get inside them.
    That said I pulled the coil covers off and found moisture under them so you may want to go for a long drive after cleaning the engine.

Theres another thread around here about Armor All'ing the engine too.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by cyclone03

That said I pulled the coil covers off and found moisture under them so you may want to go for a long drive after cleaning the engine.

Yes, this was something that was brought to my attention by my favorite Ford tech, as I was mentioning the hesitation/surge when cold. Water does tend to get trapped in there and wreak havoc.

I'm no longer a big fan of watering down an engine. As weather-proof as these connectors are supposed to be, there may be some component that isn't. Look at the "famous" LT1s and their Opti-Spark ignition timing unit... on early models, one engine wash and you were DEAD in the water (so to speak). On later vented models, they could survive an engine wash, but it just meant a shortened overall life expectancy.

Before a car show, I'd take a bunch of really wet rags and wipe down the underhood area as best as I could, followed up by the occasional instant detailer for a little shine here and there. It took a bunch of time, and while at first it seemed futile, after I dedicated an hour here and there things began to look good. And after that, all it took was a little maintenence, devoting 15 minutes here and there after every wash.

I simply wipe down the engine with a damp cloth everytime I wash the car. I also used gunk and the hosed it off on older cars. This is a definate NO NO for the MM.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

TripleTransAm Guest
    Some of the products, if left on the finish, will corrode it. Apparently, Castrol Super Clean is really bad at this, very corrosive. It also attacks and etches aluminum. Simple Green has also been claimed to be corrosive, only much much less. Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to get anything remotely corrosive on my exterior finish, either through errant mist or splashing due to hosing off the engine.

Do to the fact that the Marauder has one of the WORST "drip-dry" capabilities that I've ever seen on a car.

O.K. What do I mean by this?

Well, water gathers like CRAZY in the door sills, trunk surround, and engine bay. I spend the extra few minutes after each wash with the hood, 4 doors and trunk open wiping down all the nooks and crannies with the towel that I used on the body/wheels and tips after using the California Waterblade.

Also, have tried the window cleaner on the engine bay which was suggested here in a previous thread and that works nice.

Engine cleaner

Hey Ross,

I remembered about a thread with the same topic. Here is a link.
    Not sure if anyone has done this to the MM yet.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...t=engine+clean

Hope this helps!
    300A Stock MM03 born on 6/25/2002 - sold June 2010!
    (owner from 8/26/2002 - June 2010)

- Production# 2003 of 7838
    - @17000miles 1/4 in 15.1s@93.3mph
    - 180 TStat
    - 235/50/18 on all four corners
    - Dyno tune by SCT (Jerry W.) on 04-03-04
    @ 260.7 hp/285.5 ft-lbs
    - Front and rear EBC brakes with SS lines
    - PHP upper & lower rear control arms
    - Metco C/F intake tube
    - Infinity speakers

jrzygrl Guest
    Originally posted by TAF
    Do to the fact that the Marauder has one of the WORST "drip-dry" capabilities that I've ever seen on a car.

Well, water gathers like CRAZY in the door sills, trunk surround, and engine bay. I spend the extra few minutes after each wash with the hood, 4 doors and trunk open wiping down all the nooks and crannies with the towel that I used on the body/wheels and tips after using the California Waterblade.

I hate that! I spend 30 minutes washing and an hour and a half drying! I even dry inside my fuel door, and those
    freaking drips on the rear bumper no matter what I do

Billatpro Guest
    Well this all very tidy but I use a tooth brush and paper towels, the tooth brush is for brushing my teeth, the paper towels are for drying my eyes from the frustration of the water spots.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by TAF

F-body seems worse. On my '87, I even have to remove the T-top panels and angle them such that the water will run out of whatever nook and cranny it ended up in. I even have to 'shake' them occasionally to get all the water out... not much, but enough to make you wonder what happens if it stays in there.

I did a half-a$$ed wash job on the MM yesterday due to lack of time, and this morning I only had a few spots on the rear bumper. My '87 will actually hold water in the 'seams' between the skirts and the body panels... if I try to apply any sort of product within the first few hours of washing the car, it makes an unholy mess.

My MM engine bay sucks dirt like it's free money and my MM body panels retain water like Hoover Dam. What can I do, wring her out? Only thing I can do, is drive her faster that water dries...

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Only thing I can do, is drive her faster that water dries...
    Remember the "Mighty Leaf-Blower"...

My wife says she "confirms my insanity" when I blow the Marauder dry....

Huh, Huh, Huh....he said "blow"^^^

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by Billatpro
    Well this all very tidy but I use a tooth brush and paper towels, the tooth brush is for brushing my teeth, the paper towels are for drying my eyes from the frustration of the water spots.

LOL! Good one... that toothbrush comment brought chills. I suddenly saw flashbacks to 1997 when I'd do the car show thing with my GTA. One particularly big show, I spent all of Saturday on hands and knees cleaning the wheels with (you guessed it) a couple of toothbrushes. And these are not exactly simple wheels to clean...

TAF, this 'mighty leaf blower' is fast becoming an icon on this board, much like the almighty Sable!

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    TAF, this 'mighty leaf blower' is fast becoming an icon on this board, much like the almighty Sable!
    Hey..it works! Just a word of caution...be sure you use the blower when the car is sitting in the area that you just washed it in...otherwise you just cover it again with dust. (NO...not from personal experience just thought of it last time it was talked about and meant to say it then)

BTW...there should be no "Do it in the wet-spot" jokes added below this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information