Thread: Exhaust Leak, Advice?

Exhaust Leak, Advice?

I bought my car used about a year and a half ago with alot of exhaust work already done to it. I got the stock exhaust manifold going into a completely custom setup made with 2 1/4" piping. I always loved the sound and tone it produced. High flow cats, x-pipe, Flowmaster delta 40 mufflers, and res-delete tips. The entire system is one solid piece wielded together all the way to the tips. The only couplings in the whole thing are the ones that bolt on to the stock exhaust manifold. A few months ago, I began noticing an exhaust smell in my car when I ran the heater. I found that it was leaking at both couplings on the driver and passenger side. I believe they are both ball and flange connections so I don't think this is going to be as simple as replacing a gasket. I tried loosening and re-tightening the couplings thinking maybe something shifted and it needed to be reseated, but the nuts were too rusted. They didn't budge. I was scared I would snap the bolt, so I stopped. What needs to be done to fix this properly. Do I need a new flange cut and welded onto my existing piping? Is there some sort of gasket that can be used on ball and flange connectors? Since it will probably need to cut and weld piping anyway, should I consider some options to replace my factory manifold, or will that still be alot more labor regardless of the work already being done?

Also, the previous owner that had all the exhaust work done is a former member of this site; MTAMERC9. Does anyone know where he had the exhaust work done? Do they offer any warranty on their work? (Wishful thinking)

This is my member gallery. There are some pics of my exhaust towards the end of it.
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showc...=3&userid=5893

Take it to a custom exhaust bender and they can probably fix er up in a half hour or so...spend the $ and save a life.

You break them bolts then you will break your wallet and your weekend fixing it, you were smart to stop, some are not so wise. I agree take it to the exhaust shop they are usally way cheaper than most think.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information