Thread: Exhaust Advice

snuffed04 Guest

Exhaust Advice

Let me start off by saying i have a stock 04 Crown Vic Sport...not lucky enough to have a Marauder (to be honest, i didnt know about them when i bought the Vic) Anyhow, im about to put exhaust on the car, and tho ill prob get a CAI and a tune, with the way the money is nowadays im just counting on doing the exhaust for sure. Since its not a beast like the MM, i dont want it to sound too loud, plus i wont drive my wife's minivan so its used with 3 young children as well. Ive really been leaning towards the Magnaflow because ive been told and heard that theyre not as loud when driving normal, and when you get on it they sound good but still not as loud as the Flowmasters. However, i absolutely love this vid of this Marauder burnout....

I think its a little louder than i want, but my question is this....being my car really is nothing like this particular MM, will it sound roughly the same as the video if i do use the same exhaust he has?? I am trying my best to get some Res Delete tips and i havent heard them on Magnaflows, just Flowmasters. Any advice??

If you are doing the exhaust for performance reasons the Manaflow will help due to getting ride of the stock mufflers. Stock is always quietest. I have a MM and I just had installed cat back system using three manaflow muffler installed. I had a 4x9x11 2 1/2 in and out used for an X-pipe to two 4X9X18 2 1/2 mufflers to the over axle pipes to my resonator tips that I had extended 1 3/8 inch from bottom of bumper cover. I have no drown and sound at Idle is like stock and WOT is not real load. My wife stated with the radio on you would not really hear the exhaust. So yes it is quit. I have about 300 miles on system and it is great. I had High tech transmission and exhaust do the work for me they are located in Marietta GA. Ask for Bryan.
    Last edited by 03mmmonroe; 03-06-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: picture update
    Russ, Monroe NC.

I'm running an '04 CV Sport, I have two (2) school-age kids, and I'm running 4x9x18 (body) Magnaflow mufflers with all other exhaust components basically stock. I like them a lot, as they are much deeper than OEM yet not too loud. Plus, when you step on the gas you can hear and feel a nice, deep growl but it's still not obnoxious. I think it's just about perfect for a sleeper.

This is an excellent starting point for a Sport. If you find the Magnaflows are not loud enough after a month or two on the road, you may want to experiment with removing the resonators and installing MM tips to make them a bit louder. (I did that and ran it for 6 months and finally decided to go back to factory tails to quiet things down just a bit and take a little edge off the exhaust note.)

Good luck with whatever you choose. Keep us posted.

P.S. I just re-read your entire post. If you want anything close to the loudness of that burnout MM, Magnaflows won't work for you...and your kids will revolt!
    Last edited by DJCV; 03-06-2009 at 07:25 PM.

I still really like my flowmaster delta 40's and cut off pounded out and reinstalled tips.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Honestly if you want a little bit more sound for cheap remove the 2nd set of cats and get some resonator delete tips but leave in the stock mufflers. Flowmasters are chambered mufflers and will make a lot of noise. Enough noise (interior drone) for me to switch to straight thru design Aero Turbine 2525. I had Flowmaster Super 40 series mufflers before.

2nd set of cats removed, Flowmaster Super 40's and 3.5" resonator delete tips.
    Exterior
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGaKzqoNZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgDVWNZjhQ

Interior
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuh4WH1jVDU

Same mods but different mufflers (Aero Turbine 2525) Sounds more throaty inside and outside. Don't have an interior video but the drone is a lot less than my old Flowmasters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCQgWuSEhs

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Here's a link to Sanco's 2004 Crown Vic P71 and my 2002 Crown Vic P71. Both have Magnaflows. Mine has Magnaflow Hi Flow cats,Magnaflow mufflers with an H pipe crossover on stock diameter diameter pipes with Magnaflow turn down tips.I believe Sanco has stock cats with larger diameter pipes,an X pipe crossover and delete tips.
    The link shows both cars from the rear,you'll hear the car on the left first,my car,then you'll hear Sanco's.Both systems have about the same amount of sound,most of the difference in the two cars is the H pipe VS the X pipe but they'll give you an idea of how Magnaflows sound on a 2V 4.6 modular motor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhftBGawlk
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

I keep hearing about bad drone with flowmasters, and have yet to hear it in my car Edit; only when cold for about a minute and a half. I didn't extend the tails at all because i think that looks ghey, and i also didn't install any weight or dampeners.

I get ZERO drone.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Or get whistle tips installed down at Bubb Rubb's shop.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

snuffed04 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleLar View Post
    Here's a link to Sanco's 2004 Crown Vic P71 and my 2002 Crown Vic P71. Both have Magnaflows. Mine has Magnaflow Hi Flow cats,Magnaflow mufflers with an H pipe crossover on stock diameter diameter pipes with Magnaflow turn down tips.I believe Sanco has stock cats with larger diameter pipes,an X pipe crossover and delete tips.
    The link shows both cars from the rear,you'll hear the car on the left first,my car,then you'll hear Sanco's.Both systems have about the same amount of sound,most of the difference in the two cars is the H pipe VS the X pipe but they'll give you an idea of how Magnaflows sound on a 2V 4.6 modular motor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhftBGawlk

I actually talked to Sanco back and forth and i believe thats prob what i'll go with, which is in fact stock cats, Magnaflows, X-pipe, 2.5 back and Delete tips. Not too loud for when driving normal with wife and kids, but loud enough to play in when im on my own.

I do really like the flowmasters on the Marauders Bob, but it matches yours with the Trilogy a bit better than my, what, 235hp??!!

I do really like the flowmasters on the Marauders Bob, but it matches yours with the Trilogy a bit better than my, what, 235hp??!!

Nonsense, The flows were my very first mod. Sound is more important than power in my book. Sound you use daily, power is for the "other" days.

Just listen to as many sound clips as you can find, this is a prime example of a much needed exhaust sound sticky.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

snuffed04 Guest
    I agree with you totally on the sound, i guess i always just associated the sound of Flows with power (people wanting to race, talk junk, etc.). Ya know, your not gonna make the decision any easier, i almost had my mind made up!!

A sound clip thread would be great. I know i spent alot of time searching for sound bytes on youtube and google before i found this site, but for me its been a tough road trying to decide when i didnt know exactly what it would sound like. Ive been clicking on sigs left and right these past couple wks!

snuffed04 Guest
    Vid of Sanco with the above mentioned set-up....i dont think he'll mind

It sounds like flowmaster super 40's are not for you. The delta 40's like what i have give off a suptle groan untill you stand on it.

We've been trying to get a sticky on the sound clips for awile but have not yet convinced the mods of making it happen.

Keep in mind with flow's that it takes almost a few thousand miles to "break in" and sound just right.

But don't get me wrong there is many good company's to go with and also many ways of setting up the exhaust your looking for, I was in the same boat you are in a year ago before i finally made the commitment. I was also looking for my car to stay a family car.

The magnaflows would likely be my second choice.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Thread Information