Thread: New noise

New noise

At 600 miles on the rebuild i started to hear a very hard to explain noise it sounded like a bad ac pump with every revolution you could hear it grinding metal like a clat clat clat real fast but it came and went with almost perfect timing lets say once the car started it took 1 to 2 min to start then would last maybe 60 to 80 sec then go away for 1 to 2 min and then back on like clock work. I started with everything in the belt drive and pulled the belt off started the car and it still happed but right before i turned it off it blew the pcv valve out of the valve cover and the next time after that that i tried to start it i heard a weird bang sound. so yesterday i pulled the motor and today started at the front cover thinking it was the chains i just got the harmonic balancer off and found that it was wearing into the front cover in a half circle on the bottom 180 to 360.

I think this is my problem but i just wanted to throw it out here if anyone has heard anything like this.

Any ideas on what would cause the pcv to blow off

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks Tim
    03 MM 10/7/02
    5407 0f 7838
    5406 of 7093 in Black

the balancer is an issue but i dont think that is your only one. sounds internal to me.
    2010 fusion se

Everything looks fine inside the front cover. I couldn't seen any wear marks and all the tensioners were fine the chains were not loose and the guides were not worn at all. Tomorrow ill put it on the stand and drop the pan but it was definitely coming from the front so other than all that the only thing left is the oil pump and it was new also so I'm at a loss if i cant find anything visually wrong i don't want to put it back in the car also I'm gonna take the balancer to a local place called damper doctor and see if they can test it i hope its my problem
    03 MM 10/7/02
    5407 0f 7838
    5406 of 7093 in Black

I had that same issue when I had my engine done, the crank pulley dug into my front timing cover too. I also had cold piston slap which I didn't think was normal along with the front pulley being a issue, we pulled the engine back out and I replaced the pulley and had my engine taken apart and gone over. They never found a issue with the engine and the noise was normal for the pistons I put in. The replacement pulley never touched the cover either.
    I looked at my pulley numerous time and I didn't notice anything abnormal with it. I was thinking that someone may have dropped it and separated the outer ring from the inner or it was out of round but I couldn't see it by eye.
    As for your issue, the oil pump gears are located behind the harmonic balancer. Its been noted that a out of balance or impact installed balancer can damage the gears and destroy the oil pump. Early piggy back style underdrive pulleys were notorious for doing this. Its possible whoever installed the dampner fractured the gear and its now damaged which is your noise and sucked the balancer in enough to hit the cover. The blown out PVC could be due to a oil pressure issue associated with the oil pump being damaged.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

when you say you had the same issue do you mean the noise would come and go like i described? i got the pan off today and there is nothing visually wrong. the balancer was hammered on with a block of wood then torqued in the sequence the book said could hammering it on damage the oil pump gears. its the last thing to look at i just didn't want to take the chains off but its looking like i need to now that i cant find anything wrong. i cant take the balancer to be tested until Monday so maybe that's still an issue
    03 MM 10/7/02
    5407 0f 7838
    5406 of 7093 in Black

Your probably best to check into what Blackened suggests as I know he was frustrated with the problem til he narrowed it down and fixed it. Your motor is out now. Be a shame to re-install it only to have to pull it right back out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tore Back View Post
    when you say you had the same issue do you mean the noise would come and go like i described? i got the pan off today and there is nothing visually wrong. the balancer was hammered on with a block of wood then torqued in the sequence the book said could hammering it on damage the oil pump gears. its the last thing to look at i just didn't want to take the chains off but its looking like i need to now that i cant find anything wrong. i cant take the balancer to be tested until Monday so maybe that's still an issue
    Holy crap, found your problem. Who hammered on the dampener?

You need to use a dampener install tool, no hammer, no impact. Visually you wouldn't be able to see the damage. It's possible you messed up the crank by pounding on it. These are shimmed and set up at very tight tolerances.
    Last edited by babbage; 07-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Thread Information