Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Police Driveshaft

Thumbs up Police Driveshaft

I just ordered the driveshaft that mensrea gave the part number for in an earlier thread. Fordparts.com sells them for $213.55 with $21.36 shipping. Less than 5 minutes after I ordered by email, I got a call from them to make sure I had the correct part since I listed an 03 MM. Great service & price. The part # is XW7Z-4602-AA It is listed for the Police package.
    Thanks mensrea for the part number and thanks tetsu for the fordparts.com connection.
    Dealer price $285.88
    Mike Eaton

A politician is Someone who promises someone another person's money.

What's that driveshaft rated at (speed-wise)?

Well guys I just looked it up in my parts catalog and the description for part # XW7Z-4602-AA is as follwsOLICE PACKAGE DRIVESHAFT,METAL MATRIX COMPOSITE

How 'bout them apples?
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

buddie Guest
    THANKS GUYS

FIRST TIME POSTING im a new member of the best site on the web .
    had my mm for 8 weeks the first MOD will be this driveshaft next will be the chip
    also thank you logan great site

What gets me really angry, is how LM put this car on the street with a "known problem" part to begin with. They think we're buying these cars to drive 55? Jeeze...

Save your reciepts, guys, may be some reimbursement due after enough of us scream loud enough!

Sarg had to "chime-in" here

I do enjoy your post and almost always agree with your points. However, I don't think this one is far or valid. I put a Dyno-tech metal matrix driveshaft from Dennis in my car and I couldn't be happier. I don't think the stock shaft is "defective" if there is a remote possibility of a concern @ 120mph. Have I pegged mine a time or two at 140? Yes. would I have done that with a stock MM? No, because it is speed limited in the ECM. Is it crazy to go 140? Yes. (but she sure is smooth there) Are all cars made to go whatever their speedo says? No.

Just wanted to say, I respectfully disagree with any complaint against Mercury on this one. Now, you want to talk about wipers that stink, a "sub-par" sub-woofer that rattles or a sloppy carpet job...I'm with you.

Not a "flame"...just a comment.

The thing is Todd, even with the car at its maximum governed speed, it's still shakey. Here's a car getting A LOT of donations from the PI's, why doesn't it get the driveshaft also? Maybe to deture MM owners from out running the police in stock form?

I'm with you LMM, but...

The stock shaft IS better than what had been on a normal GM. I'm just saying that I feel I got what I paid for from Mercury. The other 3 examples I listed are probably better arguements than the drive shaft. I LOVE my Marauder. Even MORE with add-ons from Dennis.

OK..."flame-away" on me. I'm defenseless...getting on a plane and won't be able to log-in for the next 48 hours.

I just don't think IMHO that the driveshaft is as valid of a complaint.

Flame away boys.

Burn baby burn! LOL, no, JP Todd!

V10_P70 Guest
    The Police P71 MM shaft is speed limited to around 130 mph, depends on the final ring gear, 3.27 or 3.55. The top speed has moved from 117 to 130.

If I may:

I, too, agree more with toddalan than with the Sergnt on this one. Other than trained LEO's, very few of us are qualified to drive on public streets at much over the legal speed limit. Now calm down, I'm not suggesting that everyone should "drive 55", I just mean that even if you ARE qualified, MOST people are not, and they won't be expecting you to be barrelling down on them at a buck and a quarter. THAT is what makes it dangerous...

Personally, I didn't buy the Winged Messenger (we're also toying with "Black Falcon") to float like a butterfly at 140 mph. I bought it because, like my SuperCoupe, it's more of a "sleeper"...no one expects that Granddad's boat might actually have some 'nads and might beat them to the next stoplight.

We own a very unusual car here, my friends, and if Ford keeps doing the bang-up job of advertising they have been, we members of MM.net may very well be the ONLY ones...that's OK with me as long as we have people like Dennis et. al. around to support us.

Respectfully...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I was going to sit this one out... but...If manufacturers build cars that are capable of high speeds I believe they should equip them with the proper hardware. Many cars have speed limiters on them, but isn't this usually due to the tires. If you remove the limiter on other cars, chances are you won't toast the shaft. And for that matter, why make speed limited tires (Z rating is pretty high) However, I don't recall if anyone on here has toasted a tail shaft bearing with stock gears and a chip, so the 4.10s really decrease the critical speed. I guess the moral of the story is when you change the gears, change the shaft. Get em both from Ford and you can't go wrong. With the PI drive shaft I have no "vibration" which I did before. Do I think Ford should pay for my shaft... mmmmmm
    And as far as the reliability of the PI shaft, there are a couple of blown vics out there that run em, and they are into the 12s.
    2 shoes and a nice pair of comfy socks

I think our stock tires are rated to 167? Where'd I see that...?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Actually the Aluminum MMX drivehaft was used in '99-'00 Police Interveptors. The rest use an aluminum shaft. That part number Shaft Ford is selling is a replacement MMX for the '99-'00 Interceptors, so I've been told. So don't feel bad the Marauder driveshaft may well be the same as the current Police Interceptor shaft

There is another solution to this "problem" that is cheaper and maybe better than the either the MMX or Dyno-Tech route if you are really concerned. Take your car to a local driveshaft fabrication shop and have the stock driveshaft tested and re-balanced if you need it... The MMX shaft you purchase blind may very well not be any better than the stock shaft on it now.. or as RC pointed out it maybe the same..

If, BIG IF, you have a problem the local shop will fix it..for around $100 to $200.. and you won't be left wondering if you just tossed money at something that wasn't an issue... If it was a issue you know it was fixed right not just replaced with an unknown...

The local SVT dealer (Team Ford) I talked to about doing my mods recommended two local shops.. Check your yellow pages and save some money...

BTW Todd if you miss breakfast tomorrow we will "flame" you real time then...
    Wayne

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information