Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marauder Resurection Story

Marauder Resurection Story

It has been awhile since posting but I have an update to my Marauder story.

It started this last winter after I purchased the Marauder. First was the inspection - suspension issues and missing front cats.

- replaced the entire front suspension including nearly new take off OEM springs (Joe Walsh)- figured why not just do it all.

- parking brake did not work - replaced rear brakes

- Aftermarket Radio would go in and out - turned out it was the unit so replaced

- Installed OEM front cats (thanks Joe Walsh)

- Posted that I had a ticking sound in the engine. Couldn't figure it out so decided to send it to Marty for a look see.

- Just before sending it to Marty steering, started going in and out. Couldn't figure it out and frustrated by this point so put it on the list for Marty.

- Wife complained about smell since previous owner smoked in the car. I can't smell that well so missed how bad it was.

BREAK ______________________________ _

- Got it to Marty.

-Turns out the #4 cylinder had a small hole in it. So, rebuild by Marty.

- Steering turned out to be a bad steering shaft

- Marty convinced me to go to 4.10 gears with tune. He also knew I would eventually get the big brake kit done as well. I did.

- Hood had the pop out/cut issue so Marty had that painted along with some other sections painted for me.

Flew down with my son and picked up the practicaly new Marauder. Very nice drive home big smiles

Break _______________________

Deal with smell next. Decided to just strip the whole interior except the dash.

- New head liner (bought one from a member and had it covered)
    -bought some used visors
    -bought a used overhead console
    -replacement carpet
    -lots of ozone treatments (works wonders)

While it was stripped, I decided to go all out and installed dynamat and dynaliner throughout the interior and trunk. This was a lot of work.

Nearly done. Just need a little more material for the trunk.

Just as I got it all back together and could drive again, the blower for AC/heater stopped working. Very frustrated at that point as I have been going at this car for a long time. Took fuse out and switched with another and it worked. Put the original back in and still works - don't know.

So, I am now basically done and enjoying my new very quite daily driver Marauder.

Thanks to Marty and all those that got me to this point.

Now that it is so quite I hear a whistle sound coming from the engine. Will post seperatly that issue.

Tried to keep it short - but I am really enjoying it now. As I said to Marty during this whole process, I went down the Marauder rabbit hole. But, I am coming out happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome Greg!
    Glad to hear that your Marauder is back in tip top shape.
    It must be quiet as a tomb with that DynaMat.
    What was wrong with the #4 cylinder?
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

The piston had a small small hole near an edge if I remmember correctly.

Glad to hear you got it running again !!!!
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

I have really enjoyed following your progress, you never gave up on the car and hopefully now you will be rewarded with many miles of trouble free performance!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Tried to keep it short - but I am really enjoying it now. As I said to Marty during this whole process, I went down the Marauder rabbit hole. But, I am coming out happy.
    I'm an ex-smoker so a faint smell wouldn't bother me. The odor will go away eventually when using Febreeze or something similar on a regular basis. I burned a breakfast biscuit in my microwave a few months back - took a month to get the odor out of the house and another month to get it out of the microwave!

Previous owner of my car was a smoker but he never smoked in it as far as I could tell. He had been using the OEM ash cup in another vehicle and handed it to me during the sale - I washed it out with Ajax Lemon Fresh Dish Detergent not long after arriving home - looks and smells new.

Care to share with us your spending? In general terms of course.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

My DTR was used as a ashtray from the previous owner, i used tea bags and a friend gave me some oil spray to get rid of smoke smell "for weed users i guess they know everything".. I just used the spray once and tea bags are still in it.

The smell is gone.

Good to hear yours is back on the road. FUN cars!
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Looks great, do you know how much dynamat was necessary for interior and trunk?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    Looks great, do you know how much dynamat was necessary for interior and trunk?
    Interested as well, I commute everyday 90+ miles and the noise is much more noticeable at highway speeds, drowns out the great sound of the sound system

I bought three of the dynamat mega packs.

http://www.dynamat.com/dynamat-xtreme-mega-pak/

That should be enough to do the roof, interior, doors (outside and inside skin) and trunk. I came up just barley short. If I was more efficient I would have made it.

I also did dynaliner on the roof, door panels (took off the felt because it smelled), behind the seats, transmission tunnel, etc. It took a lot of boxes to do it all. I had to use the liner behind the back seats because the existing felt/rubber matt smelled.

If you don't have the smell issue, I would probably just put the 1/4" liner on the roof on top of the dynamat. It made a big difference there.

The stereo does sound a lot better.

Took me many hours to complete. But, I know how to take all the interior apart now. Hopefully will never do it again.

For those that are wondering about the carpet. Everybody gets them from the same place (Auto Custom Carpets - ACC). It is not OEM.

Stock Interiors (distributer)
    ORDER DETAILS:
    Item: 13232
    Quantity: 1
    Description: '03-'06 Mercury Marauder Molded Carpet 4 Door, With heelpad
    Color: 8945-Ebony Plush Cut Pile
    Backing: MassBack - 58.00
    13232 - 137.95
    Price (each): 195.95
    Item Total: 195.95

No complaints on carpet. Slightly darker but very close. I used some additional dynapad under the foot areas and 1/2" dynaliner in other areas. The OEM has more felt (jute) then the replacement. Got it in less than 2 weeks.

If you just want to dynamat, you can reuse your carpet. It comes right out - not glued.

I bought three of the dynamat mega packs.

http://www.dynamat.com/dynamat-xtreme-mega-pak/

That should be enough to do the roof, interior, doors (outside and inside skin) and trunk. I came up just barley short. If I was more efficient I would have made it.

I also did dynaliner on the roof, door panels (took off the felt because it smelled), behind the seats, transmission tunnel, etc. It took a lot of boxes to do it all. I had to use the liner behind the back seats because the existing felt/rubber matt smelled.

If you don't have the smell issue, I would probably just put the 1/4" liner on the roof on top of the dynamat. It made a big difference there.

The stereo does sound a lot better.

Took me many hours to complete. But, I know how to take all the interior apart now. Hopefully will never do it again.
    Wow, that's quite an investment with 3 packs. Hope it's very quiet now!

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

It is quiet and the stereo sounds better. Finished the trunk this weekend. Done

The carpet is from a crown vic. Removed the CD changer (don't use with new radio). Fits pretty well. But, the right side has a bulge that I don't know what it is there for.

The sound material investment is only a small part of me going way over what I should have spent. I shouldn't be anybodys financial advisor.

Local car show - new and old

Bonus GTR Nismo

Local car show - new and old
    Nice! ...Your Marauder is looking great!

Burtonsville 'Church of the Holy Donut'.
    I saw that 428 4 speed S55 over there a few years ago....what a sweet survivor!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information