Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New heat exchanger

New heat exchanger

Well during NSHS it was obvious we needed to do something about IAT's in Sherm's car. At the end of the day we were starting at 130* IAT and ending at 17x at the finish causing timing to be pulled at 150* and loosing power.

The old setup was two trilogy HE's and no fans. Another thing I didn't like about this was the HE's weren't boxed in, so alot of air was probably going around the HE's instead of thru them.

So I got to thinking. I have had a griffin radiator laying around I picked up for a t bird years ago. So I decided to see if it would fit in the car. Guess what it fit. It was tight but I got er in there. Another plus about having a 15x24 radiator in there was to be able to attach a single fan to it to keep air flowing while in the staging lanes.

I had to cap off the 1-1/2 hose fittings on the rad and weld 3/4" tubes on to adapt the rubber IC hoses. Also welded some tabs on the bottom of the rad to hang the rad and one more on the top.

Also hooked the Snow meth kit back up in the car. Installed a single 625ml jet in a empty predrilled port in the back of the whipple.

Took the car out to Fun Ford Weekend in richmond for its first test. Started tweeking the tune to run 11.0's in the true street class. Got it down to 11.09 if I remember right. So we go out on the cruise and come back for the runs. Make the first pass at 11.1x thinkin thats pretty good. The next quickest 11 second run was 11.2x. Anyway Sherm came around and I checked the log for the IAT, started at 109 and ended 140. And in the time trials we were seeing the same thing. Which was alot better that NSHS the ambient temps where about the same between the 2 events.

Then the second pass of the 3 back to back when Sherm lifted off the gas at the finish a big puff of smoke came from the car. I though ah heck just blew it up. Car ran 11.2x. Can't remember the IATs on that run. Ended up being the torque converter seal got pushed out. Lucky the trans fluid didn't get under the tires.

All in all i think I'm getting it under control. Need to play with the timing next time to cut thru all that octane of race gas and meth. Anyway on to the pics of what this thread was about. The coolant capacity was doubled with this rad over the already doubled cap of the 2 trilogy HE's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Chris

I am impressed, amazing what a little Head scratchin and parts Rumaging in the spare parts Bin can do .
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

nice work.Im liking the IAT temps.
    • 82 GT coyote swap started
    • 03 300a Marauder, stroked,cammed,T/S Trilogy Supercharged # 216,Best Et 10.77@129.72 on slicks, 93 pump gas. driven to the track.
    • 2011 GT 500, 3.4 whipple,93 pump gas,10.47@133,Driven to the track.
    • 2003 azura blue Mach 1, cobra motor,2.9 Whipple,crusher inlet,built 4r70w trans,04 IRS rear.full weight street car, Corn Fed

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Looks like a good IAT/HE mod! nice work
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Blog Entries
    Good thinking. Has it affected your coolant temps? This may only become apparent when you drive it on the street at 20-40mph with the a/c on for True Street. If so just turn the a/c off.

As respects the cooling effects of meth it can only remove heat. If the jet is pre heat it can't remove what is not there.
    Last edited by sailsmen; 07-15-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Subscribing!

Very nice Chris! I to need to do something different as The Frozen Boost HE I got hardly helps when it gets super hot out.

04 SB-- Alluminator/2.3 Whipple 20lbs boost, 545RWHP/556RWTQ sold!!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue-My New Baby!

03 300A- Vortech S-trim A2A 500 RWHP -Sold

03 Marauder KB-S #7- R.I.P.Bought new 06-02
    sent to KB 1-03 #7 but it was the 3rd one they did

Awesome job Chris! That looks like a perfect fit.

Sent from my Ally while ruling the world from my toilet.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

It is very tight. The steel bumper is out of the car so I don't know if it would fit with that in there.

The other thing I forgot to mention was with it blocking all the air flow from under the bumper that may have made the trans over heat and blow the seal. So I have bypassed the stock cooler and added a 11x11 up higher so it gets flow from the grill.

I don't think the engine temps have changed but it hasn't been run alot yet since the install. I will report back when I get it back together.

I also want to divide the air coming from the grill, from the air coming from under the bumper. i don't want to create a high pressure zone above the HE, keeping air from naturally flowing thru it.

I'll get some more pics up of how I mounted it and stuff.
    ~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Blown3.8 View Post
    It is very tight. The steel bumper is out of the car so I don't know if it would fit with that in there.

I'll get some more pics up of how I mounted it and stuff.
    Well is it done yet?!

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown3.8 View Post
    I don't think the engine temps have changed but it hasn't been run alot yet since the install. I will report back when I get it back together.

The a/c is what requires air flow over the rad.

It's incredible how much heat the a/c throws on the rad.

If you don't run the a/c the engine temps will probably be aok. If not you can take off the plastic grill to improve flow at speed.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    The a/c is what requires air flow over the rad.

It's incredible how much heat the a/c throws on the rad.

If you don't run the a/c the engine temps will probably be aok. If not you can take off the plastic grill to improve flow at speed.
    No AC so don't have to worry about that. Maybe one day when the car is where we want it I'll put it back on.
    ~Chris

cooling

your snow meth kit alone didn't do the job??

Quote Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post
    your snow meth kit alone didn't do the job??
    I don't know to be honest. We ran just the meth before but I didn't have datalogging capability back then.

The thing there is that the IC water heats up sitting still so then that is just more heat for the Meth to take away.

Those big frozen boost HE's would prolly work just fine with a fan strapped to it to keep air flowing over it.

We just have to get it back to the track to see what happens with the meth turned off and just the big HE. The reason I didn't do this at the last race was had to get the car to run consistent 11.0's
    ~Chris

Chris I gonna go with the Killer Chiller for my MM....any thoughts on this......
    Im in the process of installing one on my bro's Cobra........
    • 82 GT coyote swap started
    • 03 300a Marauder, stroked,cammed,T/S Trilogy Supercharged # 216,Best Et 10.77@129.72 on slicks, 93 pump gas. driven to the track.
    • 2011 GT 500, 3.4 whipple,93 pump gas,10.47@133,Driven to the track.
    • 2003 azura blue Mach 1, cobra motor,2.9 Whipple,crusher inlet,built 4r70w trans,04 IRS rear.full weight street car, Corn Fed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information