Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your VIN

james_hart6 Guest

Check your VIN

As ya'll know, my MM has been on the block and I've been negotiating with Jay from Yonkers about the car - our schedules have not been able to mesh.

On Friday Jay and a buddy flew in to Detroit to check out the MM and, hopefully, drive it home. Jay even brought CD's to crank up on the ride back.

It looked as if the deal were done until Jay checked the VIN stickers on the fenders, doors, and trunk.

They don't match the VIN number of the car. At least, the right side fender, doors, and trunk deck don't - the left side does.

Off the the selling dealer we went - it's a one owner car and I ain't been doin' no parts swappin'.

After some amount of round around (which Jay will probably detail) the dealer located the "missing" parts to my MM - on a police interceptor in Utah!

Apparently someone on the production line got the stickers in the wrong order, and the numbers were swapped.

It occurs to me that it may have been just these two vehicles. Dealer, Jay, and Jerry (Jay's buddy, who has forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know) all say that they've never heard of such a thing. Maybe but maybe not - these might not be the only cars; suppose the fella working the left side of the line started off the day wrong and stayed wrong all day long?????

Build was 5/02.

Jay couldn't accept the deal (for which I don't blame him a bit!) because the NY authorities are much more tuned to mismatched VIN stickers than here in Detroit. The dealer wasn't willing to certify a letter that the car was legit, he prefers to let Mercury handle it (again, for which I don't blame him a bit, except since he's the selling dealer he's already pretty much involved) and Mercury won't have anything concrete before Tuesday. Jay had to get back to NY, so the deal was DOA.

Lessons learned - check the visibible stickers on the fenders (under the hood, quite visible), doors and trunk - making sure numbers match VIN (they won't match the whole VIN, but the numbers will be the last digits in the VIN sequence).

If Jay and I had communicated better I could have checked the numbers before he flew in, delayed the deal until Mercury solves the issue, and saved Jay a wasted trip and a bunch of $$$ on airline tickets. It just never occured to Jay to ask, since the VIN numbers are never wrong out of the factory. Except when they are. It never occured to me to look - I supplied Jay with the VIN for him to check out before he came, and figured that was all we need do, since the car was new when I bought it.

I felt terrible for Jay - who laughed it off, apparently Jay and Jerry had been on more adventures on road trips before than they could relate (but I know he can't be laughing about the air fare!).

So the sale of the car will be on hold until Mercury comes up with something (like new stickers????); I don't want someone else to go through this.

Jay had a good point, too - if I had sold the car in Detroit most likely no one would have thought to check the numbers. In ten years, assuming these things appreciate in value, the owner might have a difficult time proving the provenance of the car!

All in all, a horrible day. Jay and Jerry went back to a hotel to wait for their morning flight, I went home and put on Sinatra and opened the Scotch.

I hope all of your VIN's match!

Jim

DetGeno Guest
    Holy ZHIT! I AM CHECKING MY NOW!!!

Dam, sorry the deals on hold, i'll have to go check mine now.

James I hope the deal works out. Good luck with FMC.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Blog Entries
    You will be lucky to get a letter from Mercury, IMHO they will not issue new stickers with out first having the stickers returned from the car that has your parts.

I beleive Roy Pita? can run an oasis and see if perhaps your fenders were replaced due to damage.

There is no reason why the dealer cannot issue a letter verifying they were the original selling dealer and that the car was sold to you new.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Maybe someone who works at Ford will confirm this, but I don't think those stickers have anything to do with legality of VIN ID on a car, they are only for assembly, and are related to painting.
    Never-the-less, it has caused a lost sale for a first owner, and Ford should respond
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

With my car on a trailer half a country away, I can't even check! Now you Texas boys better not get any bright ideas with respect to my car!!

Kepp us posted and let us know if there is anything that we can do.

Hmm. Stickers...

Mine are all blank, like the numbers were removed. Seems that the warranty inservice date is 9/27/02, but the car was never sold until 7/16/03, then back on the lot a month later. I bought it used in September 03 with only 3700mi. Lost a year on the warranty, but I'll rack up the miles in 24 mo.

This may have been a demo car? Any ideas out there?
    2003 - 300A;Built 8/16/02
    Zack's Badgeless Grille
    God's Head Emblems aft
    Addco Sway bar; Silver Star Head and Parking/Turn; KB Dead Pedal; Fr & Rr Molded Splash Shields (Mud Flaps); Door Edge Guards; McGard locks;
    Mac & Zack's control arms
    CVPI rims and snows for the winter

Hi JCMM,

I can't say I've ever seen them blank. I just checked an 89 Lincoln for a friend last weekend and the numbers were still fine.

They are light when new and I have to use my glasses but they should be there.

Look close with a good oblique or difuse light source.

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 09-30-2003 at 02:58 PM.
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Arrow Hello!

Originally posted by JCMM
    Hmm. Stickers...

Mine are all blank, like the numbers were removed. Seems that the warranty inservice date is 9/27/02, but the car was never sold until 7/16/03, then back on the lot a month later. I bought it used in September 03 with only 3700mi. Lost a year on the warranty, but I'll rack up the miles in 24 mo.

This may have been a demo car? Any ideas out there?
    What dealer did you buy from?

Lawrence L&M has sold two demo Marauders, one blue and one black.

I work in Ewing Twp. 4-12 PM 609.771.9542

Jim K.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I hope everything get resolved.

You (or the new owner) should monitor the status of that Utah Interceptor. That unit would make a great parts car for your Marauder. They're kind of like brothers.

James,
    2 questions. One, how may places should we have those stickers, and two, what kind of Scotch?
    Ex Marauder owner,
    May 5th, 2003, March Bought new
    February 2007, Installed Trilogy,
    March 30th, 2011, sold to a great home.

Great car, great people, great times, wonderful memories.

Mine on my MM were halfway pealed off on the front and rear bumpers but i have corrected that!
    SILVER/300B ONE OF 418 (RE-CONTENTING)
    35%TINT
    CONSOLE MOUNT DVD-MP3-PLAYER TV & TRUNK MOUNT VCP PLAYER
    7.0 INCH COLOR FLIP DOWN SCREEN
    HEATED SEATS
    CARGO ORGANIZER
    FACTORY TRUNK MOUNT 6 CD
    SUPERCHIPS TUNED
    SILVER STARS
    V-1 RADAR DETECTOR
    KENWOODS X4
    XM RADIO
    *LOOKING FOR A DEAL ON A "Trilogy Supercharger"*

Dang! I got all new bumbers including trunk and hood all around when my car was repaired from March wreck...hummmmm...best go check --probably won't find anything since they were single parts ordered from factory for repairs.....the only vin remaining is under the front glass drivers side that I know of---gotta go look...
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Originally posted by marauderman
    Dang! I got all new bumbers including trunk and hood all around when my car was repaired from March wreck...hummmmm...best go check --probably won't find anything since they were single parts ordered from factory for repairs.....the only vin remaining is under the front glass drivers side that I know of---gotta go look...
    I'm in the same boat, Tom...going to lose my #s on several parts of a car that Steve Babcock says was the first full day of production Monday, 6/02/02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information