Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: engine builder recommends in San Jose area

engine builder recommends in San Jose area

Looks like the original engine finally gave up the ghost, I'll be looking to get it rebuilt. I would like to find an engine machinist with a proven track record of quality work, and completing projects in a reasonable time frame. I'm really not looking for someone who will need 6 months to complete an engine rebuild.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Looks like the original engine finally gave up the ghost, I'll be looking to get it rebuilt. I would like to find an engine machinist with a proven track record of quality work, and completing projects in a reasonable time frame. I'm really not looking for someone who will need 6 months to complete an engine rebuild.
    BRG Racing in Martinez. Make your schedule requirements clear. Most of BRG Racing projects are 8 weeks or less. I am an exception as I frequently change my requirements. Thus, I have never had a hard schedule to meet.

Most machine shops run at their own schedule, might just pick up a built shortblock from a vendor if you expect it in a timely manner

Plus a new shortblock has a warranty and you'll get it next week

Sucks yours let the smoke out, might be a paperweight if it was bad enough
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Wow, what happened - how many miles?
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Last edited by Lowndex; 03-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    Wow, what happened - how many miles?
    It sounds like a rod knock, came on suddenly. I drove it home 10 miles and shut it off. I'm pretty sure it is rebuildable. 138K miles. I wonder if I managed to starve the oil pump pickup with high cornering forces. There were a couple instances where I would gas it coming out of a corner and it sounded different for a few seconds, kind of like the hydraulic lash adjusters bled down.
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Most machine shops run at their own schedule, might just pick up a built shortblock from a vendor if you expect it in a timely manner

Plus a new shortblock has a warranty and you'll get it next week

Sucks yours let the smoke out, might be a paperweight if it was bad enough
    I'm can wait through reasonable machine shop time, I have had engines built before. If I bought a short block I would still need the machine shop to rebuild the heads, and I am not willing to go the iron block route either.
    Lifespeed

I'm can wait through reasonable machine shop time, I have had engines built before. If I bought a short block I would still need the machine shop to rebuild the heads, and I am not willing to go the iron block route either.
    My head work at BRG Racing took two months. It was time well spent. Ford stopped making the Annihilator (aluminum 4.6L). I do not know if a replacement is available. From my experience, I would not buy a Ford Racing short block.

Livernois Motorsports has motors in stock. Call and ask them was is available for immediate shipment.

Sorry to hear about your engine. Hope you get back up and running in short order
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

It sounds like a rod knock, came on suddenly. I drove it home 10 miles and shut it off. I'm pretty sure it is rebuildable. 138K miles. I wonder if I managed to starve the oil pump pickup with high cornering forces. There were a couple instances where I would gas it coming out of a corner and it sounded different for a few seconds, kind of like the hydraulic lash adjusters bled down.
    Whoops - 'rod knock / head slap sound'. Same thing happened to me.

Dude,
    Sorry to hear.

Your new suspension killed your motor... That must be some suspension!

Can't wait to get a ride in the rebuild.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Ideally, you want an engine builder with proven Panther experience. Other shops knew Ford motors, but none had Panther experience like BRG Racing.

Long standing member mmmonroe in the Carolina's might still have a good motor for sale. Shop it on a skid. Install it, rebuild yours how you like and them swap and still have a motor to re-sell
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Dude,
    Sorry to hear.

Your new suspension killed your motor... That must be some suspension!

Can't wait to get a ride in the rebuild.
    Just speculation, I don't really know. But keeping the oil pump pickup in oil around corners is a well-known issue.
    Lifespeed

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Wow sorry to hear this , great opportunity to install a Coyote Aluminator!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information