Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine misfires

Angry engine misfires

my engine keeps mis firing but the check engine light is not on and i checked the cylinder coils and that was not the problem either. i took it to the shop and they couldnt find what was causing it. has anybody on here had this problem also? if so what causes it?

Quote Originally Posted by djyelloboy View Post
    my engine keeps mis firing but the check engine light is not on and i checked the cylinder coils and that was not the problem either. i took it to the shop and they couldnt find what was causing it. has anybody on here had this problem also? if so what causes it?
    Hopefully you don't have the dreaded burnt valve from lack of cooling in the head. Is it popping out the exhaust on the driver side?

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Did you check your spark plugs? One may have backed out.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

We really need more to go on here, MPH, idle, how many miles, what was done recently???
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Do a compression test, then go from there. I like you started with evrything but the compression test $200 dollars in parts later I needed the heads rebuilt.

it does it mostly when goin up a hill or pulling a load. its most common at around from anywhere between 30 and 60 mph. nothing was done recently to it and it only has 56,000 miles. i didnt check the spark plugs and i dont know about the burnt valve.

First things first. When the engine is stone cold after sitting over night check each of the spark plugs make sure they are in proper if all is okay there pull them out one @ a time and take a look to see if any of them look differnt from the others it might help with indicating which cyl is miss firing. Check the gap and so forth.

If you have an ohms meter preferably digital to get a more acurate reading check the coils put the pos lead on the left hand prong of the wire conector and run the neg lead to the bottom of the spring. Mark down the results of each coil check and see if you have a problem there.

If you can rent a set up to do a compression check while your @ it just to make sure there is no problem internaly and log the results.

If you find nothing on all 3 counts then you need to do a load test @ a shop where each cylender can be checked to see which of the coils are cutting out on you under pressure.

Doing the first bit of the process on your own if your capable will save you some bucks instead of paying a shop to do it all.

Once you have more info to present someone might be able to help you further.
    Last edited by LeoVampire; 05-29-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot something

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

If you can rent a set up to do a compression check while your @ it just to make sure there is no problem internaly and log the results.[/QUOTE]

AUTOZONE may let you use one for free if you stay on the property and don't leave. That is where I found that cylinders 7 and 8 had low (125 and 65lbs) compression. They are fixed now FWIW
    Rick
    2003 MM 300a
    Trilogy #109
    CAI
    Cobra 18" Wheels
    Tint Job
    Chromed Grill with Badge Delete
    Everything else Stock

Dude don't get so discouraged just find a good shop or Mercury dealer not some wrench head with greasy pants that calls himself a mechanic. If you can't do the work of previous posts mentioned. I'am sure it is a simple fix.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

I'm a wrench head with greasy pants? LOL To get the most accurate readings doing a compression test, it should be done with the throttle body wide open. Autozone rents these for free and yes you can take it home. I crank from 5-7 seconds per cylinder till the guage goes up and levels off, record each cylinder onto paper. I remove all plugs and throw the COPS all to the side and remove the fuel pump fuse. This way you can check all eight in a matter of minutes. Whole job = 20 minutes start to finish. And I do mine on a slightly warm engine............flame suit on.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

sounds like coils, or the connector springs.
    "A street walking cheetah, with a heart full of napalm."

"If You can keep Your Head About You, While Others are Losing Theirs and Blaming It on You..."

"Sometimes it is wiser to remain silent, and seem a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt."

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."[5]

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    I'm a wrench head with greasy pants? LOL To get the most accurate readings doing a compression test, it should be done with the throttle body wide open. Autozone rents these for free and yes you can take it home. I crank from 5-7 seconds per cylinder till the guage goes up and levels off, record each cylinder onto paper. I remove all plugs and throw the COPS all to the side and remove the fuel pump fuse. This way you can check all eight in a matter of minutes. Whole job = 20 minutes start to finish. And I do mine on a slightly warm engine............flame suit on.
    Didn't mean for you to take it the wrong way it's an expression. As you can see I did say to try the above post mentioned that are suggested by knowledgable people. I should have clarified it further "knowledgable wrench heads" No disrespect ment.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

I was pulling your leg friend, I knew what you meant. I have VERY dry humour sometimes.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

ill probably just end up taking it to the shop cuz i really dont havew the know how to or time being in college and playing football! but thanks for all the input i really need to learn more about my car!

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    sounds like coils, or the connector springs.
    ^^ BINGO!!!
    No Marauder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information