Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your Marauder vin etched?

Is your Marauder vin etched?

Is there a small number etched on the exterior glass? (usually at the bottom)
    Some dealerships do this treatment and sell, hole in one theft insurance as an aftersale.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    It's just a rip off IMO, but NY supports it. I suppose if it's the VIN it's OK. Sometimes it's an Insurance policy number, which is useless unless you purchase the Insurance
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

my car has it, but i didn't pay for the service.

there are etchings all over the car.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    They do every piece of glass. As I understand, in NY if it's done there is a law that allows an insurance discount if it's the VIN
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

That was an anti-theft feature that was added on the price at the dealer. It's just one more thing to negotiate off the sticker so you think you got a deal. Unless you pay to activate it, it's useless. You can record the number and if it gets stolen it is another way to tell where you parts end up at.....
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

This etching used to be offered in Jefferson County, KY by the Police Dept. as a free service. Not sure if it is still done, but your VIN would be etched in all pieces of glass in the car as a theft deterrent.

Insurance providers would recognize that as a small discount.

Just not sure about today. I receive a discount from my Insurance Co. for the theft system from the factory on my MM and Mountaineer.

Mike.

AAA Insurance in Michigan will do it for free. I wonder if the glass is weakened though.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Yeah I always wondering about that. Mine was on it when I bought it.

Rear window bottom drivers side, also has 1-800-551-2314 underneth CVZ725 which isn't any part of my vin#.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

NYPD will vin etch your vehicle for free and give you documentation for your insurance company.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Yeah I always wondering about that. Mine was on it when I bought it.

Rear window bottom drivers side, also has 1-800-551-2314 underneth CVZ725 which isn't any part of my vin#.
    Unless you bought and keep that insurance policy from that company, the number and telephone number are useless.

They usually aren't large insurance companies either, or at least not he big main ones. One has to wonder how long they'll be around.

Cars these days already have the VIN on hundreds of parts from the factory, have to by law. I really don't think adding it to the glass is that much of a deterrent to a thief.
    Member Number 32

Replacing glass is added cost to parting out a car. Or stealing it and replacing said glass.

I would not want the 1+800 number on the glass. Nor have I seen that before.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MM2004 View Post
    Replacing glass is added cost to parting out a car. Or stealing it and replacing said glass.

Mike.
    Same here, have never seen an 800 phone number etched in like that.

If I was purchasing a new car and saw the dealer doing this I would walk right off his lot.

These are the same dealerships that "claim" to have applied paint sealer & fabric protection. When you balk that you don't want it and wont pay for it they say but it's already been applied we can't just take it off.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MM2004 View Post

Mike.
    the 800 number thing is quite common actually. It's an "insurance" thing supposedly, and the other number is just an Insurance Policy number.. Companies supply dealers with all the etching materials free. It only costs the dealer 15 mins labour to apply. They make a small fee with every "insurance policy" they sell. Most dealers don't care that much if the policy isn't purchased, but they push it.
    The Portland OR area dealers almost all do it.
    To me it defaces the car, and for a potential collector or specialty car, devalues it.

For a car that becomes collectible 15 or 20 years down the road, such etching on the car will be a big negative
    Member Number 32

Don't know Mang.

STRYKER
    GOLD P74 INTERCEPTOR, A NEW PANTHER IN TOWN.

As an LEO, I think it is a great idea. There are not alot of cars with this feature. It will make your car stand out more to LEOs than others. If the car is stolen, etched glass is less parts the bad guy can uses. And when I think like the bad guy, I would wonder what else this guy did to protect the car. I'd probably move on to another car.

I do not think this weakens the glass. Senecas Marauder has a phone number etched on the glass also.
    Last edited by DEFYANT; 01-12-2007 at 10:44 PM.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information