Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ez Pass

new car buyer Guest

Ez Pass

Does anyone here use EZ Pass on thier MM. I signed up for it the other day and there was a note that said the windshield on certain cars (MM was one of the cars listed) have soem kind of metal inthem and EZ pass can not be read through it. You have to get an exterior EZ pass. Does anyone use this. I'm worried that if I attach it to the front license plate as the directions say to do, it will be easy for someone to steal. Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone? Thanks.

Illinois response

I know that the people from Wisconsin call us FIBs, but here is my experience.

The I Pass, offered by the Illinois Tollway, works fine in our MM.

Simple answer.

PS>>A FIB is a f****** Illinois Bas****

I concur... the IPass works fine.

I believe it's the same device.

I use an EZ Pass in MA. It is the same one that is in NY. I have no troubles with it on my MM windshield on the inside.

Danbie,
    Why do they call youFIB's in the first place?

Dan

Don't use EZ-Pass. They track where you go and when, take photos of your vehicle, send you speeding tickets in the mail.

Wait the extra 20 seconds for the other cars ahead of you, and pay cash. It's not worth the headache. Not to mention if you sent it up on an actual credit card...you're paying more for your tolls than they actually cost. It's also not wise to give a company like that access to your checking account...so they can pull $50 bucks every time your EZ-pass balance drops below $15 bucks.

I lived in Westchester County NY for 2 years a while back. I had never been to a place where you had to pay to drive on the highway. It wasn't just one highway...it was EVERY highway. Whats this...a Bridge? Oh...that'll be $8 bucks please.

EZ-Pass

-Mat
    2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    Trilogy Eaton Intercooled Supercharger #200
    483 RWHP 471 RWTQ @ 13.5 lbs of Boost 2.8" Pulley
    11.76 @ 116.25 1.65 60ft
    17,500 Miles

I've used E-Zpass for about 8 years. The inside pass has worked fine on my previous Grand Marquis' and on my Marauder.
    They take a picture of the car & license plate when you go through the tolls. If someone took you inside or outside pass, it wouldn't take long to get them.

It's a great system. It works from Maine to Washington.

They DO NOT send you tickets in the mail. The reason for E-Zpass is to keep traffic moving and have less employees at toll booths. NY has a law that they can't use the e-zpass for speeding. I'd be in jail if that were the case with the times logged on the NY thruway.
    They will take away your pass if you speed through the toll booths....safety issue for the workers walking to their booth.
    There are some high speed lanes in places where you can go through at 70 mph.

My account has a $30 high. They charge my credit card when it gets to $10.
    If you do much traveling, it's a super system.
    Last edited by Mikeenh; 06-28-2005 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by new car buyer
    Does anyone here use EZ Pass on thier MM. I signed up for it the other day and there was a note that said the windshield on certain cars (MM was one of the cars listed) have soem kind of metal inthem and EZ pass can not be read through it. You have to get an exterior EZ pass. Does anyone use this. I'm worried that if I attach it to the front license plate as the directions say to do, it will be easy for someone to steal. Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone? Thanks.
    Thats a load of BS...

I have my EZ Pass stuck on the window in the BLACK AREA behind the rear-view mirror.
    I've never had any problems with it from Maine to DC, and from NYC to Buffalo.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeenh
    They DO NOT send you tickets in the mail.
    Don't be too sure of that...
    You haven't got one yet.
    I know several people that received summonses through EZ Pass.
    Pete...

DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,

Quote Originally Posted by mpearce
    Wait the extra 20 seconds for the other cars ahead of you, and pay cash.

I lived in Westchester County NY for 2 years a while back.
    I had never been to a place where you had to pay to drive on the highway.
    It wasn't just one highway...it was EVERY highway.
    Whats this...a Bridge? Oh...that'll be $8 bucks please.

EZ-Pass
    You must have lived in Westchester when there was like, 4 cars on the road.
    The Governor, the Mayor and their mistresses...

Today the lines to get through tolls are sometimes 15 - 20 minutes long.
    And you can always get your cash back from your EZ Pass account without any hassels.
    The TBTA monitors your account over a 6 month period, and it adjusts to your usage.
    You use more, you get charged more. If you use less, you also get charged less.
    You can also pay CASH on your EZ Pass account but they want a deposit for the tags if you do it that way.
    There are also charges and penalties if you allow the account to run low, so a Credit Card is the best option.
    Pete...

DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

03marauder Guest
    I have the I-Pass here in Illinois. I felt the same way about it, not wanting it since that would give the ability to track speeding. And I sure didn't want to get tickets in the mail from this. The only reason I ended up going with it was because of the fact that Illinois doubled tolls, except for those with I-Pass. And since I use the tollway everyday, I wasn't about to pay double. Although, the claim about it helping to resolve traffic jams around toll booths I have not seen. Since the traffic just jams on the other side of the booths anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MENINBLK
    Don't be too sure of that...
    You haven't got one yet.
    I know several people that received summonses through EZ Pass.
    I just got one because I was using my sister's pass and my car is not in her list. It's a $25 processing fee and the toll. I got charged $26.15 for a $1.15 toll. I went and signed up for one in my name.

I would think that you have to be speeding in the toll lane or speeding excessively to get a ticket in the mail. I would think that you would have to have a high average speed for them to say you were speeding. The amount of time taken to get from toll to toll.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

EZ Pass works great in our Marauder, or most anything else we've tried so far as well... we've gone through the high-speed lanes at 65 mph.

The only car I've seen it not work in in my father-in-law's Buick Roadmaster wagon with the big glass roof above the back seat... I think the system can't figure out which one is the windshield.

If you just sit at home I guess there's no reason to get one, but we love ours.

In PA they don't seem to track what car you have it in... I'm always switching and I haven't updated the records and nobody complains.

However, if mine were lost and I called it in... I'll bet they could find the bad guy in short order.

It's not 1984, it's the 21st century and they ain't all out to get us.
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

I've used the DC area Smart-Tag on my MM since it was new last October. I put the device just to the right and behind the mirror but not up into the black mask area. Now Smart-Tag in the DC area is united with EZPass up the East Coast. I have only had one problem. There is one lane on one of my exits that always causes me problems but no other lane anywhere else. They say it's my problem. I say it's their problem. I just avoid that lane and use one of the other two lanes at that exit.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, dark toreador red/dark charcoal interior
    Born On Tuesday, May 18, 2004
    Sequence Nos.: 2,991 of 3,214 ('04), 10,829 of 11,052 (total) & 926 of 980 (DTRs) & 1 of 2,000 '04s without moonroof
    Purchased On Friday, October 22, 2004
    Sold On Wednesday, February 29, 2012
    Final Miles = 099871
    6 CD Trunk Changer, Heated Seats, Alternative Auto Performance Tune, Borla mufflers (#40652),
    "Powered By Ford" 2005 Ford GT Coil Covers, Aeroforce OBD2 Scan Gauge, Replacement Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge,
    McGard Wheel Locks (#24130), 2005 oil filter drip deflector

Talking EZ Pass

Don't use EZ-Pass. They track where you go and when, take photos of your vehicle, send you speeding tickets in the mail.
    -Mat

???-They only record the time and date you go through the tool plaza to charge your account and the camera in all the toll plaza,s record your plate number in case of toll cheats and toll violators ex-Speeding etc. That was there before EZ-Pass was created.

Wait the extra 20 seconds for the other cars ahead of you, and pay cash. It's not worth the headache. Not to mention if you sent it up on an actual credit card...you're paying more for your tolls than they actually cost. It's also not wise to give a company like that access to your checking account...so they can pull $50 bucks every time your EZ-pass balance drops below $15 bucks.-Mat
    20 SECONDS -yea , 20 seconds at about 3:30am with no traffic. Waiting up to 45 minutes ,like on the Tappan Zee Bridge or the George Washington Bridge toll entrance. that in itself is the headache. I have had no problem with the credit card and EZ-Pass which is run by the MTA-a state agency , not a private company.

I lived in Westchester County NY for 2 years a while back. I had never been to a place where you had to pay to drive on the highway. It wasn't just one highway...it was EVERY highway. Whats this...a Bridge? Oh...that'll be $8 bucks please.

EZ-Pass -Mat
    Your State Tax that you pay , part of it goes to highway repairs and at least for I-87 in NYS , the trucks pay most of the tolls. we pay to cross the bridges and some counties have tolls on the highway so that can't be helped.

Bottom line- EZ Pass just makes my trip smoother and helps in getting through the long traffic back ups.
    Last edited by 03SILVERSTREAK; 06-28-2005 at 10:16 PM.
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

mine works fine in my 04 and i do alot of traveling through tolls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information