Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission shudder

Transmission shudder

Yikes! I hit 36,000 trouble free miles last week. Today I felt a shudder from my transmission. I was pulling away from a stop sign, in drive, and it felt like the tranny didn't know for certain wether or not it was in drive or reverse.

No extended warranty (I reminded the salesman I was buying a Mercury, not a Hyundai). He didn't want to argue that point.

No factory warranty.

What do I do now? It hasn't happened since. Anything I should check? Thanks.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

Flush fluid first...If that ain't it you will have to go inside??

I have a cure for converter shudder but this doesn't sound like the converter.

Good Luck!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Here is to a trans service taking care of it!

Every 15K, cause she earned it!
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

If your transmission fluid hasn't been changed in 36,000 miles, it's overdue.

Solution 1): At the very least, do a pan-drop and filter change...since that only changes approx 4 quarts of ATF, it may take a few miles of driving to notice any difference. Do another pan-drop (no filter this time) after a few hundred miles, then another one again. After that, get on a regular schedule of pan drops every 15,000 miles, with a new filter every other time. Installing a transmission pan with a built-in drain plug will make the job easier and MUCH less messy.

Solution 2): Do a complete flush...that will change 95% or more of the ATF and the improvement in shifting should be noticeable immediately. Do a complete flush every 30,000.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    Solution 2): Do a complete flush...that will change 95% or more of the ATF and the improvement in shifting should be noticeable immediately.
    This is good advice, and change the filter too. Your shudder may be just tired ATF, or, there could be other problems to diagnose. However, you cannot correctly diagnose that without ruling out old fluid. BTW, make sure the new fluid is pyre Mercon V, not another type with additives. Keep us posted?

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    BTW, make sure the new fluid is pure Mercon V, not another type with additives.
    ^^^what Mac said^^^
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I used the Cam II type V semi synthetic when I changed last. Gone 12k miles and shifting very nice! Also installed a drain plug in the factory pan so the next change will be less of a mess.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    BTW, make sure the new fluid is pyre Mercon V, not another type with additives. Keep us posted?

Do most of the F/L/M dealerships use a pure Mercon V? Just curious as I am taking the car in for an oil change, tranny service, and rear diff. service. I already verified that they use either Ford or Castrol synthetic for the oil, but did not ask about the tranny fluid.
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    Do most of the F/L/M dealerships use a pure Mercon V?
    A dealer had BETTER know the difference and use only Mercon V, not plain Mercon with some miracle-in-a-can glop.
    I already verified that they use either Ford or Castrol synthetic for the oil
    Eric, beware of anyone who claims Castrol is synthetic oil. It is NOT (except for 0W-30 GC- German Castrol). All of their product except GC is Group III mineral oil. Ask the dealer to use only Motorcraft oil in your car, unless you want to bring your own.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin
    I used the Cam II type V semi synthetic when I changed last. Gone 12k miles and shifting very nice! Also installed a drain plug in the factory pan so the next change will be less of a mess.
    I don't know the specs of this substitution, but it's seems fine in your application. Bravo!

Is it cheaper?

Do you have an aftermarket torque converter?

Do you have a tranny retune over OEM specs?

Now that you have a drain plug, you save even more money in maintenence. Just drain the pan every 5-6K miles and refill. Should save you a lot of money over the long run.

[QUOTE=Leadfoot281]Yikes! I hit 36,000 trouble free miles last week. Today I felt a shudder from my transmission. I was pulling away from a stop sign, in drive, and it felt like the tranny didn't know for certain wether or not it was in drive or reverse.

The advise here is good. This isn't just a MM problem but seems to be common with Mercurys. I had a 96 Cougar and had the same problem at 40K.
    A trans fluis change fixed it.
    Black 2004 Marauder
    Has everything but a moonroof
    35% tint all the way around
    Born on 04/15/2004
    Adopted 04/30/2004
    Number 2491 of 3213 Made in 2004

I had the 30k mile service done earlier this year. Fuel filter, oil change, alignment, and trans service. The rest I done myself. Brake inspection? Give me a break! Ditto for air filter. The tires were almost shot so I got new KDWS at 35k.

At any rate, My dealer messed up the fuel filter install. Check engine light came on. They re-set the trouble light and told me it was "possibly air" in the fuel line, and to bring it back if it gave me any more trouble.(it didn't). The 30k "tune-up" took 8 hours!

I don't have any idea what type of fluid they used. I'm certain they didn't drop the pan. I'll get that done soon.

With all the trouble Ford Automatic's have given me over the years it's a wonder I bought another one. Why doesn't Ford just give up and start installing GM transmissions in their cars? I'd rather have a TH350, TH400, or TH700R4 in my car. Bring back the Top Loader! I'd even prefer an old 727 torqe-flite to the junk were saddled with. Ford even spelled AOD backwards!

Sorry 'bout the rant..... And thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

New tranny fluid

New tranny fluid should solve your problem.....
    they probably gave you only a partial flush at your last service.

Good Luck!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot281
    My dealer messed up the fuel filter install. Check engine light came on. They re-set the trouble light and told me it was "possibly air" in the fuel line, and to bring it back if it gave me any more trouble.(it didn't).
    Actually, they most likely DIDN'T mess up anything. It's common for the CEL to come on after changing to the larger fuel filter (FG-800A), so as long as it didn't come back, I wouldn't worry about it.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I have had three CV/GM/MM cars since 1997. all have had tranny shudder at one point or another. a full flush is in order. Whenever any of mine show this symptom a full flush corrected it within about 100 miles of the flush.

The MM had it at 17K miles. a full flush fixed it. I'm at 35K now and it's probably due again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information