Thread: Front End Woes - Addco Sway bar issues / Front End Clicking

Front End Woes - Addco Sway bar issues / Front End Clicking

This is really a two part problem to my knowledge. These occurrences are independent of each other. Looking for suggestions as I will be tearing down the front end on Friday.

I will start with my biggest issues the front end clicking.
    I have had about 1/2 dozen different people look at my front end and NONE of them can pinpoint exactly where the clicking is coming from. This problem started when I took apart my struts to cut the springs. The clicking/binding noise happens when I use my brakes or go over large bumps. I seems if there is any lateral movement on the CA's/Spindle like going over the curb on the end of a driveway, speedbumps etc. I did not mark my coil on spring assembly when I tore it apart so it was aligned by eyeballing it and sticking it in there <<< area of concern. I have been told to take them apart again and use white lithium grease on the boot where the spring sits... so I did. With no result.
    • I will try and get a video of the phantom click this week
    • I will post a bunch of pics of how every thing went together/apart on Friday.

- One note I am currently driving with no front sway bar so it sadly wan't the cause of my clicks.
    Last edited by kmastl; 12-17-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmastl View Post
    This is really a two part problem to my knowledge. These occurrences are independent of each other. Looking for suggestions as I will be tearing down the front end on Friday.

ISSUE #1
    I will start with my biggest issues the front end clicking.
    I have had about 1/2 dozen different people look at my front end and NONE of them can pinpoint exactly where the clicking is coming from. This problem started when I took apart my struts to cut the springs. The clicking/binding noise happens when I use my brakes or go over large bumps. I seems if there is any lateral movement on the CA's/Spindle like going over the curb on the end of a driveway, speedbumps etc. I did not mark my coil on spring assembly when I tore it apart so it was aligned by eyeballing it and sticking it in there <<< area of concern. I have been told to take them apart again and use white lithium grease on the boot where the spring sits... so I did. With no result.
    • I will try and get a video of the phantom click this week
    • I will post a bunch of pics of how every thing went together/apart on Friday.

ISSUE #2

I am having trouble when the sway bar moving side to side and having the MOOGS endlinks hit the rotors on my front SB. I think the bushing may be worn, the paint where the bushings rub is gone. I grease them every three months or so with "ford lincoln mercury branded valvoline branded moly fortified multi purpose greese". Once I left them go to long and it started to click and there was not enough grease. Also I am one of the caps on the endlinks is missing can I order a replacement? or does anyone have a good idea for something else to use? Also where can I get a new bushings for this sb?

- One note I am currently driving with no front sway bar so it sadly wan't the cause of my clicks.
    I'm curious what the result is because my Moog end links also rub and I have the click when I stop and go which nobody can find and I greased everything while making sure all is tight and I still can't figure it out. One mechanic told me he saw on a expedition that the K member clicked and his repair was to loosen it up and put some grease on the top of the member between the frame and that solved it. I haven't tried it yet on my car so I'm not sure if thats the fix.
    I also had my front end aligned and the end links still rub. I think the Moog are just a little too fat in design compared to the OEM. Thats what it looked like to me when I last looked at them 2 weeks ago and saw the rubbing.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    I'm curious what the result is because my Moog end links also rub and I have the click when I stop and go which nobody can find and I greased everything while making sure all is tight and I still can't figure it out. One mechanic told me he saw on a expedition that the K member clicked and his repair was to loosen it up and put some grease on the top of the member between the frame and that solved it. I haven't tried it yet on my car so I'm not sure if thats the fix.
    I also had my front end aligned and the end links still rub. I think the Moog are just a little too fat in design compared to the OEM. Thats what it looked like to me when I last looked at them 2 weeks ago and saw the rubbing.
    Did you notice if you sway bar moves left to right? It looked like mine was sliding through the bushing and one of the guys that looked at my car said that the bushing should hold it into place from going left to right.

Gottta be the lower control arms. Mine has seemed to stop the clicking. Replaced both sides atleast twice.
    392 Challenger YELLOW JACKET
    12.28@114 stock

I had it up on a rack this past weekend and we came to the conclusion that is coming from the upper CA area. I can FEEL the popping most right above the three bolts that are atop the strut. I will try and get that video up tomorrow. I have been battling this thing for 5 months.

- btw the click started when I took the struts off to cut the springs so it has to be something I did

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Gottta be the lower control arms. Mine has seemed to stop the clicking. Replaced both sides atleast twice.

Blog Entries
    Go back to OEM and see what happens.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

You should be using full synthetic lube with the aftermarket sway bar / bushings.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I had the clicking until I removed my swaybar (experimental). I have not put the bar back on, but I am cut springs as well (one coil)
    Ms. Jackson
    300A
    Single cam conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
    Desecrating a Marauder with a Chevy engine makes me want to throw up. I'd rather have the pink interior and wagon wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmud View Post
    why would you ever want an engine that has far more potential than a mod motor?

GOOD NEWS. I have fixed the clicking noise! and installed the stock front sway bar. I hope the end links stop rubbing.

It was these two bolts in the pictures.. The ones directly above the upper control arm toward the front of the car. I have never touched these bolts but took it apart tonight goofed around for about an hour. The fix was a quick spray with white lithium grease, didn't even have to loosen the bolt.

It seems odd that this happened at the exact time I cut the springs. Must have been the change in geometry that caused a new stress to that spot IDK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kmastl View Post
    It seems odd that this happened at the exact time I cut the springs. Must have been the change in geometry that caused a new stress to that spot IDK.
    Not really, you changed the geometry of your front suspension. Since you cut a coil the CAs sit at a different angle now.

Did you torque down the CAs with the full weight of the car resting on the suspension? If not they may been binding but the lube loosened them up.

I have the same issue with the sway bar moving. It took out the ABS sensor cable on one of the brand new hubs I had just installed. 1/2 mile later it wad back to the store for new stub.

My car had the Addcos when bought it but the bushings were never greased. I was doing an overhaul of the suspension and used the ES bushings w/grease fittings.

I got standard ES bushings, lightly greased them, and have clamps on the bar on the wheel side of each bushing. Going to order tbe improved bushing/bracket kit from Addco and hope it works. May blast the bar and get it powder coated, once I order the bushing kit.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cougar9150; 12-03-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    04 SB MM RIP 4/24/09
    Number 553 of 3213 04s, 208 of 993 Silvers 04s

03 SB MM (the new girl)
    Born 5/15/2003, Adopted 7/17/09
    Number 7458 of 7838 03s, 225 of 417 Silver 03s

Mods: K&N CAI, 180° stat, SW headers, custom 2.5" h-pipe exhaust from headers to tips w/Dynomax VT mufflers, Part of the Art Carr Stage 2 tranny kit, rebuilt with Alto Black bands and clutches, deep transmission pan, big ass trans cooler, PI 3.5k rpm Triple disk TC, Dynotech 4" driveshaft, Metco Drive shaft loop and rear CA's, Addco front and rear sway bars, just a bit of powder coating, stock size performance brake upgrades, QA1 shocks in the rear with KYBs in the front, and replaced every stock suspension bushing. Tuner's Inc tuned 298 rwhp/306 rwtq

Thread Information