Thread: Been Searching...

Been Searching...

I haven't posted much of anything on here, but I've been searching for and getting great information. Kudos to the good questions and great answers before my joining the message board. I've already adjusted the shifter cable and solved two or three problems with that simple task. Plus, I've never sat in a car while in went on the 4-post lift before. That was different. I can't find the particular post that I used to learn that trick, but thanks to the author (found it - http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=57119). The previous owner had gone to two or three shops (including a dealer) about his tranny being difficult to get in reverse and the shifting not being correct sometimes. He was told it was common problem with Marauders and the only cure was to rebuild the transmission. I knew the first time I drove it, I was 99% sure it was a shifter/linkage problem. This forum's info got me squared away.

Great discussions on which oil and filter to use have given me good guidance. The transmission servicing info is great, as well. I'm looking forward to putting in a "working oil pressure gauge," too.

I purchased a 2003 with 82,904 miles back in April from the original owner (a friend) that took very good care of the car. Ever since he bought it, I would ask him if was ready to sell it, he would tell me no, and that he was never getting rid of it. On April 6, he let me know that he was not driving it, tired of paying the taxes and insurance, and told me that if I was willing to give him what CarMax offered him, I could buy it for that price. I paid $5,000 for the car. My friend, that is a master mechanic, and I spent almost two hours going over that car. Fixing the shifting problem was the only thing that needed to be fixed right away. Brakes are good and the original rotors have been taken off the car. I plan a brake upgrade later. I will be replacing the upper control arms because the boots are torn on the ball joints and I can upgrade and replace ball joints at the same time. The previous owner had just had the oil changed and I will be changing all the fluids, and I mean all, over the couple of weeks.

I am enjoying driving the car - more since the shifter cable has been adjusted and it is working correctly. I plan on getting more info from this board.
    Last edited by Hawkco; 05-11-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Terry Hawkins
    Certified Car Nut, Camaro Owner + Ford Fanatic=Dysfunctional
    Husband, Father of Four Girls
    Broke

Great write up! Look into getting the SS Brake Lines from TCE Performance. Good luck and take care of it!

#1618 of 3214

I will look into that.
    Terry Hawkins
    Certified Car Nut, Camaro Owner + Ford Fanatic=Dysfunctional
    Husband, Father of Four Girls
    Broke

Congrats on the car, sounds like a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkco View Post
    I plan on getting more info from this board.
    That's what we're here for...

The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thread Information