Thread: Remote Electric Fuel Door Install for 300B (Part 1 of 2)

Remote Electric Fuel Door Install for 300B (Part 1 of 2)

Remote Electric Fuel Door Install for 300B (Part 1 of 2)
    Parts List:
    3W7Z9B242-AA Button (black like factory button)
    F2AZ9B242-A (Chrome Button if you prefer)
    E8EZ14489-DA Electrical connectors (2 required) Same as connectors for under hood light
    4 Metal connector pins to fit the above clips (should be dealer stock items)
    18 feet of wire (if using wrecking yard parts, try for White with Pink stripe)
    Two 2 foot sections of black wire (one for each connector end)
    1W7Z5427936-AA Inner housing assembly (goes on inside of rear fender over filler neck)
    F3AZ5428610-B (Door latch assembly)
    2 screws and 2 J-clips to attach latch to housing (These are usually dealer stock items)
    1W7Z54405A26-BA Fuel Door-Remote 2001 & up(must be painted body color)
    1W7Z5428608-AA Fuel door Retainer 2001 & up(small plastic part attaching to fuel door)
    Retainer screw (discontinued) It’s just a small short metric screw though
    (Optional)
    Tire Pressure Decal (Special ordered by VIN number, currently obsolete)
    Fuel Specification Decal (Special ordered by VIN number, currently obsolete)

If you are able to get to a wrecking yard, you can get the wire assembly from any year CV (Crown Vic) or GM from 92-up. Get it from the latch to all the way to the door switch. The early cars have a connector at the left kick panel, but I just cut the ends and soldered the wire together. Use liquid insulation and then a piece of heat shrink tubing (slide it on the wire before soldering). If you find a 1990 to 1999 Town car, you can just use the rear half from the kick panel connector on two cars and put it together to make one wire. With the wrecking yard parts, you don’t need the connectors. If using dealer connectors, the dealer should have the metal pins to fit in the end of the connectors. These have to be crimped on the ends of whatever wire you use for the 18-foot section.

Remove the driver’s door panel as per the shop manual instructions. In you don’t have a manual, here it is in summary. Remove the small cover in the center of the inside door release handle and then the Torx screw. The inside door release will pull straight out with some gentle prying. Use something to protect the door panel and latch from marks. Then the window control panel lifts straight up and toward the front of the car. It is held in with snaps that are fragile, so be careful. Once off, unplug the wires from the switch. There are three screws around the perimeter of the door on the lower edge and rear. These come out. There is a screw inside the window control opening. The triangular shaped trim panel on the front upper portion of the door above the door panel snaps out toward the interior of the car on top and then lifts straight up to unclip from the door panel. If everything is off, the door panel lifts up and off. Unplug the wires and set the door panel aside. Remove the door speaker, unplug it, and set it aside.
    Remove the left front sill plate by gently prying it up. The clips are tough, but are located on the flat portion that is to the outside. It has to be unsnapped from the kick panel and B pillar molding by moving the sill inboard and up before prying it off the sill.
    Remove the driver’s door weather strip by pulling it straight off the pinch weld. Do this up to a point above the kick panel. Remove the left kick panel by prying rearward on the two white pins visible in between the kick panel and the pinch weld. Remove the hood latch handle by taking out the 10 mm bolt and nut. Then the black plastic pin that holds the rubber water shield over the door jamb harness that is located down low and to the rear. When you lift this water shield, you should see a bunch of wires going into the door.
    Remove the left rear sill plate in the same manner as the front one. Remove the driver’s door rear weatherstrip, left rear door front and rear weather strips in the same manner as the front door. The left lower B pillar cover comes off by gently pulling it toward the inside of the car. You can see the shiny metal clips if you look through the gap the door weather strip covered. Remove the lower rear seat cushion by pushing it rear about 2 inches (it takes some effort) and then pull up. You will hear it unsnap from the floor. Open the right rear door and push the cushion over to the passenger side. The C pillar lower cover (next to rear upper seat cushion side) comes off by prying it toward the center of the car. You have to compress the seat cushion to get it far enough in to clear the long alignment pins. These can be flexed slightly to get it off. It you absolutely can’t do it this way, you have to remove the upper rear seat cushion. It is bolted in at the bottom.
    Remove the left rear trunk interior trim panel by removing the two push pins in the upper edge. If you have a trunk CD changer, the trim panel for that has to come off by removing the large black screw head looking things. The interior trim panel can be folded down onto the trunk floor. It doesn’t have to be removed.
    Ok, now that half the car is apart, let’s begin.

Drivers’ door:
    Pop out the switch hole cover from the door panel and install the switch of your choice. On the door itself, look at the door wiring harness near the take-out for the trunk release button. It should be covered by the white water shield. Lift up that section of the water shield and you should see a bundle of taped wires. Make a 3-4 inch slit in the tape at the trunk switch take out and look for the black wire with a white stripe. It is a pretty thick wire. If you have a test light with a needle probe, it should be hot all the time. Pull this wire away from the rest of the harness and then slit about 3/4" of the insulation off this wire without cutting it in two (see photos). Remove the center locking clip from the new fuel door connector and then the wire that is going to go to the fuel door latch out of the connector. Put the fuel door plug in line with the trunk release and temporarily tape the wires together. This will help you get the length right. Run the short wire up from the new fuel door connector and over to the place where the insulation was stripped off the black/white stripe (B/Ws) wire. Strip 3/4 off the end of the wire from the connector and solder into the B/Ws wire. You can use a wire tap if you don’t want to solder. I like to use the liquid insulation and then some tape to cover the joint.

Next use either a fish tape or a soft wire hanger to fish the wire through the rubber connector between the door and A pillar. Bend the end of the hanger into an oval loop. Work it through the rubber connector from inside the door. You can massage the outside of the rubber connector to help it work through the rubber without puncturing the rubber. Once it is inside the pillar, hook the end of the white/pink strip (W/Ps) into the hanger loop and feed it back through the rubber connecter into the door. Follow the route of the harness to the place where the trunk switch take out lead is. Run the wire to the new connector and reassemble the connector. You can now tape the four wires (two for fuel door, two for trunk) together until about 4 inches from the connector. Tape up the area where the wire was soldered and then every four inches along the door harness back to the inside of the door. Make sure the wire is not against any sharp edges. At this point you can reassemble the door if you like.

Rear Body:
    Now run the wire along the left sill plate to the back seat. There are two small screws that hold the black sill conduit cover in place (there is a provision for a third screw in the rear door opening, but I have never seen it used from the factory). If you remove the screws and open the conduit, you will see a bunch of wires. Leave enough wire to follow the harness as it comes from the door down to the sill plate and then run it along the sill conduit. Tape it to the wire bundle about four to six inches along the way.

From inside the trunk, run the fish tape (hanger) from inside the trunk along the top of the driver’s side wheel well. You will see two other harnesses running through there already. Once the hanger is fished through to the rear seat area, pull the wire into the trunk. Again tape it every so often as you can reach and make sure it is away from sharp edges. You can test the operation of the wires by putting a test light on the trunk end and pressing the button. You should have 12V.

(continued in Part 2)

Remote Electric Fuel Door Install for 300B (Part 2 of 2)

Remote Electric Fuel Door Install for 300B (continued from Part 1)

From outside the car, remove the four small screws that hold on the fuel door (front two) and the inner spill housing. Remove the gas cap and then remove the four screws around the gas tank opening. One of them is the fuel cap retainer strap. Put a rag into the tank opening to prevent any small screws from falling while working around the opening. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area as some gas fumes will escape. When not directly working around the filler pipe you can take the rag out and put the cap on to keep the fumes down. Now jack up the car by the frame in front of the left rear wheel. Lift only a few inches. Refer to the photo and following the filler pipe to the tank you will see a retaining ring near the tank. This ring is held in by an 8-mm bolt that goes into the tank flange. It is directly inboard of the upper shock absorber mounting bracket. Remove this bolt. The photo shows a flat rachet on the head of the bolt for reference. The bracket may be stuck to the tank, but will loosen once the bolt is out. Then push the fuel filler pipe into the tank. It will only go about an inch or so, that’s far enough. With all the screws out of the upper the end, the spill housing should come loose. There is a drain hose that runs from the spill housing to the lower rear wheel opening that has to be pulled out also. If you look at the new housing, you will understand.

Using an angled tool (a brake spoon is perfect, a kitchen spoon will do), lift the housing over the fuel inlet pipe opening. Lift the spill housing up toward the roof of the car and it will clear the pipe. Then move it to the back of the car and out from inside the trunk. Assemble the latch assembly into the housing with the screws and J-clips. Leave it loose so it will move. It should fit only one way on the housing, but the hook should be to the opening of the housing. Install the spill housing in reverse of removal and the drain hose. You can re-install the two rear small housing screws to hold it in place. Install three of the four filler pipe screws, leave the one out for the fuel cap for now. Install the new outer fuel door with the other two small screws. Once the four small screws are tightened, check the alignment of the door. If it needs to be tweaked, you just gently bend it in the direction it needs to go. It shouldn’t need a lot if any at all. Don’t put the retaining clip on the door until after the alignment is set.

Back inside the trunk, run the wire to the latch connector along the air suspension harness. The ground wire from the connector I ran to the bottom bolt of the fuel pump shut off switch. This is the switch with the red button on top. If you thread the wire from behind the inner panel through a hole near and put a ring terminal on it, it is almost invisible. Plug in the connector to the latch and test it. Press the button and the latch should click. If so, then install the clip on the door. The latch assembly will move in and out to get the door flush with the body. It’s just trial an error. Tighten the latch when it’s set. The final screw to retain the gas cap can be put back in and the 8mm bolt for the fuel filler pipe retainer in the wheel well.

Reinstall the trunk trim panels and you’re done!

The tire pressure and fuel decals are coming back as obsolete parts, so you can try to transfer your old ones to the new door. The tire pressure decal has the last six digits of the VIN number printed along the top. I am working with my parts guy to see what’s up with the decals. I’ll let you know.

As always, E-mail with any questions.

I have this in WordPerfect format if anyone wants it.

I just installed mine today and it went without a hitch. Kudos to VegasMarauder for the research and post. I found the filler pipe goes down into the tank enough without removing the retaining ring bolt. 1/2" was enough for my car.

Oh, and my L/M parts department wasn't very helpful about the connectors, he wanted to sell me "pigtails" for $15 each. I told him to screw and went over to the Ford place and that parts guy went out to the back and cut me two off an old wiring harness for free. I think I might be giving that guy my business from now on. The L/M guys seem to be used to always hitting home runs with those old farts that have more money than brains.
    I recommend this be made sticky as I think the 2004's didn't even offer the option of a remote fuel door.

Glad you liked the article. The biggest problem seems to be the connecters. I have been stock piling them when I go to the wrecking yard, they usually charge me abuck a piece. I have a couple sets. If anyone does the mod and has a hassle at the dealer, drop me a PM and I can mail two out for $3.00.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vegasmarauder
    Glad you liked the article. The biggest problem seems to be the connecters. I have been stock piling them when I go to the wrecking yard, they usually charge me abuck a piece. I have a couple sets. If anyone does the mod and has a hassle at the dealer, drop me a PM and I can mail two out for $3.00.
    Excellent write-up. I'll take two of those connectors if the offer still stands.

Thank you.

Sent you a PM
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vegasmarauder
    Sent you a PM
    Thank you.

You have one as well.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Thread Information