Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I like High Performance cars

TripleTransAm Guest

Why I like High Performance cars

Picture this:

I'm headed to my parents' place this morning to drop off my kid, nestled safe and sound nicely secured in the back in his child seat.

I'm on a 2-3 lane highway headed towards a bridge crossing the river to the South Shore of Montreal Island. Traffic slows down a bit in front of me, then speeds back up. Being the type to regularly check my mirrors and be aware of my surroundings, I instinctively pick up on a silver/champagne-coloured car that just isn't driving to my 100% satisfaction. It's a pre-2004 Honda Accord 4 door.... you know where this is going.

About 20 seconds later traffic once again comes to a halt, no big deal, right? I see the Accord coming at me at a VERY decent clip, with the #$%$$#% old hag on her cell phone. Alarms instantaneously go off in my head, I'm pretty sure I emitted an unrepeatable expletive or two, and I turned the wheel and mashed the gas pedal as quick as I could (the lane to my left was shut down... further ahead, it's used as a reserved bus lane).

Too late. Contact.

It wasn't a bad hit... my primary worry was my priceless occupant in the back seat. I've hit potholes that felt worse. But it was a contact nonetheless.

I pulled to the side of the highway. Got out to check the bumper, hoping for the best. Damn. Could have been worse... lots of grey dust from her car, which seemed to wipe off, but the paint was sc***** in some spots and spider-cracked under the Marauder lettering. And one gouge that didn't go through the bumper. From 2-3 feet it simply looks like a dirty bumper, and sadly the spider-cracks and the gouge/scrapes will be unmaskable.

The Accord... the front end was completely demolished. I'm sure it was her front decorative license plate that tore into the surface of my bumper, otherwise I'm sure the damage to my car would have been even less!!! I'm not sure what her damage would cost her, but she'll need a new hood, new bumper, fenders, headlight equipment, and who knows what underhood hardware was damaged. While angrily taking down her insurance info, I noted there was visible damage to her back end as well, and there were two other cars stopped on the other side of the highway. 5 lanes of quick moving traffic separated us at that point, so I didn't really feel like walking over and trading war stories with them. Let them work it out with her, I immediately called my insurance company with the details 'hot off the press', on the spot.

Honda makes good durable cars, to be sure. Too bad they don't include a built-in ignition cut-off sensor to keep them from being operated by morons. When she idled by me after the impact, she had her cell phone still stapled to her ear... from her business card, she appears to be a real estate agent, and judging by the time of impact and where she works, was late for work. My advice... get a better alarm clock, b*tch.

(Which leads to a secondary point... now that I've calmed down, I noticed something different about my reaction in such a situation. My first worry was obviously my kid, not so serious considering the lightness of the impact thanks to having mostly moved out of the way in time. Then I checked my bumper... as I was headed to the rear of my car, I saw her idle by me to a stop. My first reaction to her was to hold up my thumb and scream "Great job!! Good work!" in French (turns out she was English speaking, with a foreign accent). Not ONCE did I even give a flying farg about her state of health. Amazing how a family situation can change a person... I honestly couldn't have cared less if she had lost all control of the vehicle and gone spinning off the bridge into the cold waters below... except for the fact I would have had a harder time getting her insurance information. At least I'm being honest... all I cared about was my family...)

So there you have it, ladies / gents / those-yet-to-be-classified. With a lesser performance vehicle, I probably would not have had the handling or acceleration response available at hand to avoid a worse situation. When used with respect and care, you cannot put a price on having good brakes / handling / power when it comes to keeping you and / or family safe on the road! And by all means, driving defensively allows one to be aware of what's happening around you, which allows ample use of the safety margin provided by the higher performance vehicle (as long as you're not driving near the car's limits).

Glad you and the baby (girl-boy) are OK.

Better check for behind the cover damage.

People that try to drive while talking are buttholes with a capital B !!
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Steve glad to hear that you and Victor are ok and the the damage to your car was minimal. I also agree with you on the welfare of the B**ch driving the Honda, get a new alarm clock and get off the phone.

I think Ford needs to hook up a Honda alarm to our cars. Ever time a Honda gets within 50' feet the alarm goes off telling us to get out of the way.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

I wish there was a button on my dash to use in cases like this.

When i press the button, a huge Spring deploys from my rear bumper to bouce off these pesky asswipes who think it's ok to tailgate or to not pay attention when they are driving. Perhaps instead of a large spring, it could be a big metal spear so i could make japenese shishkabob.

glad your occupant[s] were ok

Wow, glad the whole Triple gang came out unscathed! I think what impresses me the most about this story is the presence of mind to try to avoid the imminent impact, rather than the all too typical response of the deer in the headlights look. I don't know how Canadian insurance works, but if it's like a lot of our more "liberal" states, you may be responsible for your own damages. Down here they call it "no-fault." It's not deemed to be politically correct to try to blame someone for an "accident." After all, they are called "accidents." This is how it was explained to me in Michigan by my insurer. They were of the opinion that the other guy, who was at fault, and recieved a citation for his lack of driving sense, should have paid for all my damages, but the politicians had taken away that re-course. Well, good luck anyway, and I hope all works out for you, and again, even more important, I'm real glad for the lack of injuries.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Picture this:
    Could have been worse... lots of grey dust from her car, which seemed to wipe off, but the paint was sc***** in some spots and spider-cracked under the Marauder lettering. And one gouge that didn't go through the bumper. From 2-3 feet it simply looks like a dirty bumper, and sadly the spider-cracks and the gouge/scrapes will be unmaskable.

The Accord... the front end was completely demolished.
    Yet another Marauder gives up a shiny spot to save it's occupants.

Whoa! Dude! I know how you feel, the same thing nearly happens to me about 3 times a week, but I have no occupants to be concerned about, and I usually drive the CV, which I don't care that much about. It's purpose for existing is to save my life in such situations. Good reactions too, Toro! Toro! Let the guy in front of you take the impact!

I'm very glad to hear you and the ankle biter are all right. I'm also very sorry to hear the other lady is too. Airbags + anti lock + crumple zones are a detriment to natural selection.

If they remove the rear facia, sand and repaint, it'll be as good as new. No worries.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Ever time a Honda gets within 50' feet the alarm goes off telling us to get out of the way.
    No, every time a Honda gets withing 50' a panel opens from the trunk and emits a 50 terrawatt Electromagnetic Pulse to disable and fry it.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T. Casey
    W I don't know how Canadian insurance works, but if it's like a lot of our more "liberal" states, you may be responsible for your own damages. Down here they call it "no-fault."
    Most provinces here don't have 'no-fault' insurance. I'm not sure about Quebec, but Saskatchewan does IIRC.

But irrelevant - she was on a talking cell phone. In most provinces, this is specifically illegal, and in all others it's called "driving with undue care and attention". Typically, rear ending another vehicle is "following too closely". The accident is 100% her fault, whether she is charged under the Highway Traffic Act or not.

Her insurance company will have to pay for Steve's repairs.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Blog Entries
    It reminds me of a "safety automobile" GM was touting in the 1970's. It was chock full of technology to protect the occupants.

Airbags, soft impact absorbing interior, crumble zones.

GM was so proud of it they put it on tour around the world.

They even sent it to Germany and showed it off to Mercedes Benz.

Mercedes Benz repsonse was the car did not meet their current safety standards! How could that be?

The "safety automobile" had inferior brakes, substandard handling and poor acceleration.

In so many words Mercedes said the driver would not be able to avoid an accident.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Honda makes good durable cars, to be sure. Too bad they don't include a built-in ignition cut-off sensor to keep them from being operated by morons.
    I honestly couldn't have cared less if she had lost all control of the vehicle and gone spinning off the bridge into the cold waters below... except for the fact I would have had a harder time getting her insurance information.
    ^^^ HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ^^^

I had to get that laugh out, but I'm really glad you and your little one are alright.

I was coming up Rt 130 in Bordentown, NJ at about 3am on Saturday. I had my girlfriend and two other friends asleep in my MM. As I was approaching an intersection I saw a stopped Mark VII at the other light. When I got about 50 feet from him, he pulled out into the intersection... RUNNING HIS RED LIGHT!!

I didn't have time to think because the Mark was now stopped again directly in front of me. I did a shuffle-steer to the left as I laid the pedal to the floor. The a$$ kicked out a tad and then I counter-steered. I just kinda slid right around the Mark. Afterward, I pulled into a Wawa to grab a breath of fresh air. I looked back at my passengers: they were wide-eyed and appeared to be still hanging on for dear life. Wish I had a camera for their faces!
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

Glad to hear that you and the baby are OK. Dip****zes like that gal should be whipped!
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Steve, glad you're both ok. Another good reason why I left Montreal... Too many idiots drivin' 'round... Beware on your bumper, your cover would've popped back, but you probably took fairly significant damage to the bumper infrastructure underneath the cover. Won't be evident until the cover's pulled off...

Steve, i'm glad that everyone is okay, and the damage appears to be minimal. That is just terrible how these dip**** people punish other people with their carelessness. It seems like Marauder owners are really taking a beating by getting hit left and right by other people out there. What's worse, is this was another Honda! What in the hell is up with Honda's and Marauders?
    2006 Silverstone AWD Chevy Trailblazer SS
    -custom grind cam, kooks long tube headers, pcmformless tranny cooler, Vector CAI, Vector custom tune, Corsa catback, efans

2004 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder
    -gone

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan
    It seems like Marauder owners are really taking a beating by getting hit left and right by other people out there.
    ^ That reminds me of something I was taught during the pursuit portion of police academy. The main instructor told me that, if I was ever in an uncontrollable spin, I should never look directly at an object. He said that if I stared at a pole, tree, divider, or other car... then I was doomed to collide with that object. He was obviously being humorous and trying to make a joke... but it seems to be true. Everybody out there driving a little riceburner keeps staring at the MM's and they eventually hit us. In fact, mine is sitting in the body shop as I type... getting ther rear bumper filled and sprayed from a run-in in a parking lot.
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

LNYTUNS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Steve glad to hear that you and Victor are ok and the the damage to your car was minimal. I also agree with you on the welfare of the B**ch driving the Honda, get a new alarm clock and get off the phone.

I think Ford needs to hook up a Honda alarm to our cars. Ever time a Honda gets within 50' feet the alarm goes off telling us to get out of the way.

TTA, glad that you and your child are OK. I would feel the same way about the lady in the Honda.

Haggis, your idea is good but I would have to listen to that alarm 24/7, as I have a Honda sharing a garage with my MM. So far they have gotten along quite well, no fights yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information