Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPC Camber kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SPC Camber kit

I’m having a nightmare getting the car to carfixer alignment specs after I got the camber spc kit installed. My local Firestone tech is telling me the SPC bolts aren’t adjustable to how they want it. The tech said he wants the passenger side bolt to the left which I highlighted. Also he said he wants the driver side bolt on the right. Somebody please help

Passenger side

Drivers side

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chi Stallion; 03-12-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

Did you. Or he notch out the aluminum frame to get the extra travel?

I’m thinking whoever installed them did not install them properly, they did not not notch the crossmember.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

SPC Camber kit

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I’m thinking whoever installed them did not install them properly, they did not not notch the crossmember.

The crossmember is notched is what my mechanic who installed them said. I just have a hard time trusting the local Firestone shop.. My Mechanic said he can adjust it to that angle, just gota bring it back to mechanic shop.

I just don’t know if the Firestone alignment tech actually knows what he’s talking about and if I’m waisting my time getting it adjusted to where he wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chi Stallion; 03-12-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

I agree they prob didn’t clearance the frame holes.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Print the directions... And have them watch the video. You (or they) will need the notching tool (basically a shaped drill bit/file) that SBC and others sell.

If you (or they) have never done this... It seems a little different /odd at first, but once you do it it makes perfect sense.

+4 above it seems they didn't notch the existing hole... And the camber bolt cannot travel/adjust.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

All they have to do to get the big picture is remove the nut. Then they’ll see the notch and try harder..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

SPC Camber kit

I believe the Firestone tech didn’t know what he was talking about when he was adjusting the camber because it seems like he didn’t loose the bolt in the back. Then he started bashing the kit saying it was cheap and it wouldn’t turn etc. He mentioned the passenger side camber adjustment isnt where he wants it to be. Also he scratched the hell out my passenger side cam washer.

So I brought it back to my installer and he got the passenger camber adjustment to where the Firestone tech said he wanted it. Instead of going back to that shady Firestone, I took it to Just Tires and gave them the car fixer specs. Here’s the specs I got after the alignment. When I left the Just Tires shop the alignment was even more off then when I brought it in, with the steering wheel all the way to the right while the wheels are center.

Called my mechanic and showed him the specs I got and he said bring the car in Friday. So what he plans on doing is drilling more into the passenger low control arm bushing with the SPC 85137. He said he wants to get the “toe” more even. So will have to take it back for another alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chi Stallion; 03-13-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

If the notch is not long enough the cam will not turn 360 degrees, So if they can't get to the needed setting in one direction, then try the other direction. Either that or have the notch enlarged to allow the 360 degree turn.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

My Garage

My Marauder has a lot of front tire inner wear. Just had some new tires put on and want an alignment. I've asked for carfixer specs before (used to have the specs from MM.net somewhere, can someone please provide them?), but I think I drove away with regular specs. Anyway, last time I was there, they said I needed flaps or whatever its called removed to make further adjustment. What are those things called and please provide me the carfixer specs again. Thanks!
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

They call them flags.
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    1.56 60' 6.80 1/8 @ 104 mph 10.5 1/4 @129 mph
    #BSTDMRC #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

Courtesy of Carfixer

The inside edge wear of the front tires is caused by 2 things: negative camber and negative toe (toe out). Caster is not a tire wearing angle. The outside edge wear can be caused by excessive toe in and aggressive cornering.

Factory camber spec is -.5 degrees or- .75 degrees
    Factory toe spec is -.15 degrees or- .20 degrees
    (BTW, this info came from their website which is updated periodically and may differ from previously published material, such as cd's and paper manuals)

That means your alignment could have -1.25 degrees of camber and toe out of -.35 degrees and still be in the green. This will wipe out the inside edges in 20K miles IMO.

All of the MM's I've aligned (about 10) had at least -1.0 degrees of camber and always toe out of -.10 degrees or more from the factory. That's why almost all MM's you see have excessive inside edge tire wear.

For best tire wear, here is what I use on all MM alignments:
    Camber: 0 to -.3 degrees.*
    Toe: Zero degrees.
    Caster: 5-6.5 degrees positive with .3 degree lead on the right side.

*Camber can affect cornering feel. The more negative camber you have, the better it will handle corners. Most drivers will never feel the difference, especially on the street.
    Trilogy #167
    Teksid block
    Manley H beam Rods
    Mahle pistons
    Forged crank
    3.0" pulley
    factory exhuast
    Dyno: 436.99 HP 437.81 TQ
    Best et 12.823 (w/ a lot of spin)
    Best mph in 1/4m 115

Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    Courtesy of Carfixer

The inside edge wear of the front tires is caused by 2 things: negative camber and negative toe (toe out). Caster is not a tire wearing angle. The outside edge wear can be caused by excessive toe in and aggressive cornering.

Factory camber spec is -.5 degrees or- .75 degrees
    Factory toe spec is -.15 degrees or- .20 degrees
    (BTW, this info came from their website which is updated periodically and may differ from previously published material, such as cd's and paper manuals)

That means your alignment could have -1.25 degrees of camber and toe out of -.35 degrees and still be in the green. This will wipe out the inside edges in 20K miles IMO.

All of the MM's I've aligned (about 10) had at least -1.0 degrees of camber and always toe out of -.10 degrees or more from the factory. That's why almost all MM's you see have excessive inside edge tire wear.

For best tire wear, here is what I use on all MM alignments:
    Camber: 0 to -.3 degrees.*
    Toe: Zero degrees.
    Caster: 5-6.5 degrees positive with .3 degree lead on the right side.

*Camber can affect cornering feel. The more negative camber you have, the better it will handle corners. Most drivers will never feel the difference, especially on the street.
    So I went to get my alignment done and gave them these specs. They said they know all about the removal of the flags etc. But here is what I got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
    They call them flags.
    They come off with a hammer and chisel. About 30 seconds per side.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information