Thread: Crossover tube plug problem

Crossover tube plug problem

I was driving My 04 Black on Saturday, went to pick up some friends to go apple picking. She said "your car smells hot" mind you it was 60 degrees outside and the car ran fine all summer with the AC etc... Yeah no problem...

3 min later waiting at Starbucks idling, my eye catches the temp gauge at 3/4 position!!! Yikes. So we headed home to swap out to the 04 Vic LX, the temp went down once moving.

When I got home later that afternoon, noticed no obvious coolant leaks, some crud along the COT plug I opened the COT plug and coolant came right out and a burp. Ran it for a while with the funnel in place, no real bubbles came out, and really did not add any net coolant. Drove around and of course could not budge the temp gauge past half.

Next AM, pulled the COT plug and put in the tiny amount which went down, tried to burp again and just filled the funnel up with expansion. This time I noticed the O ring on the COT plug was falling apart!! HMM

Turns out I must have had more of a air leak instead of a coolant leak, so it formed a bubble in the COT.

I tried to search for info and came up empty, then used google Site:www.mercurymarauder.net Crossover and found this

Quote Originally Posted by vegasmarauder
    've been messing with these plugs since they were used on Continentals in the late 90's. There are two reasons why the plugs get stuck.

First, change the O-ring whenever you remove/install the plug. The coolant leeches up into the threads and corrodes them, making it impossible to loosen in the future. Now if that happens, #2 is to mix up a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Mercon V trans fluid. Use that as a penatrating oil around the edge of the plug. If you can see corrosion along the plug seam, you may have to do this a few times with a few hours wait in between.

Next, take 2 ball peen hammers (or a regular hammer I guess). Press the striking end of one of the hammers against the side of the sealing gap. The take the other hammer and tap the OPPOSITE side from the stationary hammer. Move each hammer around the circumference of the plug. Do this a few times. Then Tap on the top face of the plug a few times. You don't have to hit anything hard enough to cause dents in the metal, just some harmonic vibrations through the metal.

Then take the 1/4 drive breaker bar and loosen the plug. I have literally done 50 plus of these stuck plugs in MM's, Mark 8's and Continentals over the years.

Last, Clean the plug and the bore it goes in and change the o-ring! The size is 9/16" ID, 11/16" OD and 1/16" thickness. Use anti-seize on the threads only.
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...63&postcount=9

So I am driving the LX till I get a new O ring from Mc Master Carr

The size has the -015 designation

Chemical-Resistant Viton® Fluoroelastomer—Offering the same excellent chemical resistance as multipurpose Viton® fluoroelastomer O-rings, except with a durometer of A90 (hard) for better wear resistance. These resist boric acid, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol, fuels, and transmission fluids. They meet ASTM D2000/SAE J200. Temp. range is -20° to 400° F. Color is black.
    Chemical-Resistant Viton® Fluoroelastomer
    Fractional
    Size Actua Inch Size Pkg Qty. Pkg.
    Width: 1/16 Fractional (0.070" Actual)
    DashNo. ID OD ID OD
    015 9/16 11/16 0.551" 0.691" 50

8297T125 $11.25
    Product Detail
    Abrasion-Resistant O-Ring, Chemical-Resistant Viton®, Dash Number 015

Packs of 50
    ADD TO ORDER
    In stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

How about a stainless steel plug with a new o-ring?

PM me if your interested.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Or a stainless cot plug with a gods head engraved in it??

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=92253
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Make sure your fan is working.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Take the cot plug to a hydraulic hose making shop

Tell em what it's for and they will get you the correct durometer o-ring

For like 24 pennies
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Thread Information