Thread: Crappy photos of a Wilwood BNSL6 BBK Install

Crappy photos of a Wilwood BNSL6 BBK Install

Some of you may recall my last thread talking about Wilwood brakes for these cars. Well, in a fortunate turn of events, a member on here who recently sold his car had a 13" front and rear kit sitting in his basement since 2005 & 2007.

The rear kit is going on the DTR, I'd really like to buy a wilwood made 14" kit for that car, but depending on the future of the black car these 13's may end up on the DTR in the future. We'll see.

I will say, installing these took way longer than it should have. Both hardlines up front snapped because this car is a northeast shitbox, so I ended up buying a new passneger side hardline from tasca ford and Comin in Hot came got me a used drivers side from a 09 P71 at the local yard.

I also spent more time playing around with shims, washers and checking the offset of the caliper to rotor with feeler gauges than I did actually installing these. This is because this kit predates the newer style radial mounts, so as far as I understand this should not be an issue on newer kits. This front kit is from 2005, IIRC this caliper isn't even made anymore.

A few emails w/ Todd got me on the path to figuring out my shimming issue, once I got the drivers side squared away I had an idea of what to do on the pass side.

This kit also came with extra pads, Hawk HPS to be exact, which is great because my car has 15k mile HPS pads on the rear.

Now that the kit is installed and bled, I will say the pedal feel is a HUGE improvement over stock. I am sure many people with 300A's note how crappy the pedal feel is, my car when I got it had the pedal go half way or more to the floor before you got feedback. I swapped the booster from the DTR into this car and it made a good difference, but wasn't great. These wilwoods really fixed the last gap in the pedal, it's immediate braking once you put your foot down with great feedback. The hawk pads are starting to bite in hard, but I need to do another bed in procedure once less traffic is on the road and I update my tags to PA tags (these expired mar 31st).

Overall, the performance + looks is slightly outweighing the annoyance of install, I'm happy it's finally done. I'll have some better photos once the car is cleaned up.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Nice upgrade!

Definitely looks terrific and a great improvement!

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I put the Wilwood 14 inch vented front rotors and 6-piston calipers with Hawk HPS pads on my MM about five years ago. They are without question the best brakes on any car I have driven in the past 50+ years. On the rears I kept the stock size but put cryo treated vented rotors and the HPS pads. Todd's stainless lines all around. I had everything professionally installed, since I don't trust my own workmanship on something that is supposed to stop a machine weighing 2+ tons going joyously at warp speed down the highway.

During the bedding in procedure I got the front brakes literally smoking hot. The last stop was no longer than the first one . They perform as well today as they did then. Anyone who has power adders and has not upgraded the stock brakes is taking a chance. Dramatic statement but true.
    Ford should have put something like this on the Marauder right from the start.

Todd sells a great product and I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelQualityMan View Post
    Anyone who has power adders and has not upgraded the stock brakes is taking a chance. Dramatic statement but true.
    Ford should have put something like this on the Marauder right from the start.
    In some of the old PDF's released by Steve Babcock, PBR 2 piston calipers (same as the cobra/mach 1 or c5 vette) as well as 13" rotors IIRC were listed as future plans.

These cars really do have crap brakes stock.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Looks good Ryan.

Same kit in red (front only) and comparison to stock brake setup.

Complete2.JPG

New1.JPG

OEMSetup.jpg
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information