Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marauder overheating

Spring towards the engine, ie the hot fluid. That's all you have to remember when installing it. I found this out the hard way.

if your t-stat does not have the by-pass holes, the t-stat will not heat up fast enough and the car still start to over heat. It needs the by-pass holes to allow the hot coolant to flow past it and heat it up.

If you squeeze every single coolant hose in the engine bay multiple times while your filling it up with the engine off then you should be fine to cap it and drive.

This is all I've done the last couple of years on multiple MM's and never once an issue.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I'm not sure if the Motorad is the right one or not. I just remember someone pointed me to that one when I was trying to buy more parts to complete my supercharger kit that DR shafted me on.

I took it to Big O Tires and they said they were able to burp more air out of it. They said they had to add more coolant because so much air was still in there. They said it isn't overheating anymore so they didn't think it needed another thermostat. I'll try driving it around when I get it back and see if its having anymore problems. The new motorcraft one did arrive this week in the mail if I have to have it replaced again.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

the marauder overflow bottles are "de-gas" style overflows, that means you should never have to berp the cooling system. I have always done it because im old school. but I did it once in front of a new school guy. He looked at me like i was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass_forever View Post
    the marauder overflow bottles are "de-gas" style overflows, that means you should never have to berp the cooling system. I have always done it because im old school. but I did it once in front of a new school guy. He looked at me like i was an idiot.
    Not "old school"....... it's "NEW SCHOOL"

It's a proven fact that you DO need to BURP the cooling system. Change the stat or hose and try driving without burping......
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 04-17-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Not "old school"....... it's "NEW SCHOOL"

It's a proven fact that you DO need to BURP the cooling system. Change the stat or hose and try drive without burping......
    Correct info here!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Got the car back from Big O. Drove it for about 45 minutes sometimes spirited and even took it for a stint on the highway. So far no overheating. Seems normal. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I'm not sure if the Motorad is the right one or not.
    I'm sure none of the Motorad are correct for a Marauder
    Glad you got the air out of it.

Put the motorcraft unit in when you get a chance - have the 2nd shop do it that got the air out.

good luck.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

A degas tank is part of the pressurized cooling circuit and is designed to allow air bubbles to be forced up and out of the cooling circuit. Some include a pressure cap and serve as a fill point as well. Not all engines utilize a degas tank.

Right from the ford manual at work.

Have not seen a marauder yet that did not need burping if system was opened, etc
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Have not seen a marauder yet that did not need burping if system was opened, etc
    I agree, I had to berp my 4v as well.

Mine overheated on 2 separate occasions right after getting out of the shop, they didn't know either. All was fine after burping.
    2004 DTR
    Born 9/25/2003 Adopted Aug 11, 2010
    #175 of 980 DTR, #537 of 3,214 2004

Lidio Tune, K&N CAI, 4.10s, FlowMaster40s, SS Braided brake lines, SS Bumper Inserts, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Lip Spoiler, Grill & Trunk Badges by Daniel, Audiophile 6L8T18C815FD.

Was getting gas this morning and noticed the temp gauge went higher than I felt comfortable when I was going over the bridge on the way to Costco. But after I got gas and drove to my brother's apartment, the car was normal temperature again until I got home. Everything is closing right now so I took it to a place that is open on Sunday. I asked them to put another thermostat in there but they said they have to diagnose it first. I'll hear back from them tomorrow.

Step 1 - get correct t-stat. Scroll up! I'll bet dollars to donuts that the shop puts in a wrong t-stat yet again. I'm loosing count is this the 3rd or 4th time you brought to shop?
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information