Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I would skip the sway bars.

For the rear I would get control arms and a watts link from Sparta Motorsports. Monroe heavy duty shocks are great.

My front setup is Eibach springs, KYB shocks, and SPC camber bolts but the springs are in possible to find now.

I should mention my car is lowered front and rear. I have the exact same set up on another marauder, but it has sway bars. I feel the sway bars drastically take away from ride quality and make the suspension too harsh.
    Interesting... You think they sway bars make the ride more harsh, vs the lower stiffer spring and shocks? Not being snarky here, just trying to learn. I have two Marauders and about to do suspension on the2nd... Would have never thought the sway bar would "harshen" the ride... Hmmmm.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Interesting... You think they sway bars make the ride more harsh, vs the lower stiffer spring and shocks? Not being snarky here, just trying to learn. I have two Marauders and about to do suspension on the2nd... Would have never thought the sway bar would "harshen" the ride... Hmmmm.
    They both have the exact same suspension setup with the exception one has Addco sway bars, one has the factory bars. Both suspensions are noticeably stiffer than stock (I also have a stock marauder). The one with the Addcos is ridiculously stiff, especially at low speeds It doesn’t soak up the small bumps like the stock sway bar car.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    They both have the exact same suspension setup with the exception one has Addco sway bars, one has the factory bars. Both suspensions are noticeably stiffer than stock (I also have a stock marauder). The one with the Addcos is ridiculously stiff, especially at low speeds It doesn’t soak up the small bumps like the stock sway bar car.
    I think it may be the poly sway bar bushings instead of rubber. BTW..... I love the ride.... the wife not so much.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I agree with Derek. We have 2 MM's one with all the goodies and it's pretty stiff. Mine was stock till recently I added Watt's link and CA's. Went from cushy to borderline stiff. I'm keeping the stock sway bars.

I have one MM suspension fully "done" as you guys do. And I gotta admit on perfect pavement/asphalt it is amazing... Which means it is a little harsh on regular roads. I never tied this to the sway bars though. Very interesting. May not install the addco sway bars on next one. Thank you.

Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

I still don't understand how sway bars can contribute to ride harshness. When level, the sway bar essentially does nothing. It's only when the body starts to roll during a turn that the sway bar tries to twist, which transmits the force to the other side to help limit that roll. My Marauder has the upgraded Addco rear bar (stock front) and I didn't notice anything other than that the car remained flatter during curves, like on off-ramps. No change in ride quality.

I also have the Zack & Mac control arms...I don't know if that changes the equation...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I still don't understand how sway bars can contribute to ride harshness. When level, the sway bar essentially does nothing. It's only when the body starts to roll during a turn that the sway bar tries to twist, which transmits the force to the other side to help limit that roll. My Marauder has the upgraded Addco rear bar (stock front) and I didn't notice anything other than that the car remained flatter during curves, like on off-ramps. No change in ride quality.

I also have the Zack & Mac control arms...I don't know if that changes the equation...
    My guess is when you start taking flex out of the equation ride suffers. Like Sacramento said on perfectly flat smooth roads it's livable, but on roads that need attention Paula's car is hard on the bod..

Any of you guys running ADTR's front and/or rear sway bars? Just an option to the sometimes not in stock ADDCO's.

https://adtr.net/product-category/mercury-marauder/

When you have a stiffer sway, and you hit a bump on one side, it xfers some of that energy through the sway and it acts as a torsion bar as the other side is essentially solid mounted to the wheel that didn't hit the bump. Think a Chevy suspension that only uses torsion bars. Same concept other than the other end of the bar is frame mounted instead of wheel/spindle mounted.

Sway bars can make a huge difference in stiffness as long as we are talking uneven bumps.
    Over a bump that both wheels hit, it won't change anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreChiMM View Post
    Depends on the dollars you have, monroe quick strut is about the same as stock but lifts the front end about 1/2"(115$ each about), ride tech, (700$? a pair) I can't speak for but from what people say is unmatched performance and adjustability.
    I did the easy struts on my 2006 Taurus and HATE them. It sits noticably higher and actually didn't make an improvement. I bought this car with 14 miles on it and there was zero difference after replacing my originals at 111K miles. I bought the Monroe Severe Duty for the Merc and haven't installed them yet.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdombles View Post
    When you have a stiffer sway, and you hit a bump on one side, it xfers some of that energy through the sway and it acts as a torsion bar as the other side is essentially solid mounted to the wheel that didn't hit the bump. Think a Chevy suspension that only uses torsion bars. Same concept other than the other end of the bar is frame mounted instead of wheel/spindle mounted.

Sway bars can make a huge difference in stiffness as long as we are talking uneven bumps.
    Over a bump that both wheels hit, it won't change anything really.
    Great explanation. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information