Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rear mount turbo build

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    I would look at a stall in the range of 3500-3800 , for gears you want a tall gear (numerically low) ideally a 3.08 or so (3.55) is too much gear for a Turbo Marauder.

I can tell you you will be very unhappy with a Turbo that big on a 4.6L mod motor you need to look a 66mm Turbo with a .72ar housing , I would give Precision Turbo a call and go over your build with tech support they are very helpful and will tell you what will work and what will be a nightmare believe me ive dealt with them since the early 90s.
    Yea, Ive already accepted the fact that this car is going to be a dog when not at wide open throttle. Im ok with that. You saying that about the gears makes me feel better about throwing those 3.27 gears back there.

IMHO 66mm is just too small for my eventual power goal on pump gas as a rear mount. I spoke with comp turbo about my exact setup and this is the one they came up with and built for ~1000hp capable, street car but not revving higher than 7k. I didn't plot the compressor map myself but I took their word for it lol. Sole reason I went with comp is the turbo is oil-less. So I don't have to worry about oil Scavenging problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Really curious bout this , keep on the good work

04 p71 5 speed manual 5.4 2V N/A 390/382 at the wheels
    13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'

youtube vids
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCe...9CCkZAtI2pY2JQ

Oil-less turbo is an interesting idea. Hope it works out for you, but I am skeptical. $179.00 for a tube of turbo grease to be applied every 3,000 miles. http://comp-turbo.mybigcommerce.com/oil-less-grease-2/
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbob View Post
    Oil-less turbo is an interesting idea. Hope it works out for you, but I am skeptical. $179.00 for a tube of turbo grease to be applied every 3,000 miles. http://comp-turbo.mybigcommerce.com/oil-less-grease-2/
    Yea that was almost a no go when I saw that. At least it's not a daily anymore lol.

They used to sell the oil less turbos for any use, but then they started seeing failures with the extreme heat when mounted in the engine bay. So now they only recommend for remote mount, and seem to have some pretty good success. I'm still nervous about it though. Only time will tell

So I fixed all my grounding issues with the battery relocate, got a new battery and she cranks up nice and strong. Please ignore how janky everything looks, Im going to clean everything up and secure everything. This was just to get the car running. This is how the trunk sits now, where the filter is, is roughly where the turbo inlet will be

I ended up selling the meth kit and decided on getting a nice intercooler to fill behind the grill area. Kind of how I have this one mounted, but a custom horizontal one with inlet / exit going pointing down

Blog Entries
    I would keep an eye on coolant temps. If you can use it the OEM fan shroud is very effective.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    I would keep an eye on coolant temps. If you can use it the OEM fan shroud is very effective.
    For sure! Thanks. yup, factory fan

How are you planing to duct air into the sealed trunk??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Direct Trunk Injection
    I'm sure he's got a good plan. Seems pretty thorough.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by minimarine09 View Post
    Turbos like pressure before the turbo to help spool. (but not to much). You want as little back pressure AFTER the turbo as possible, which will decrease lag. If I could run no downpipe I would lol

Fake news
    We picked up 30 rwhp on a 2.3 turbo mustang by putting a smaller sleeve in a ATR 3 inch downpipe. Same dyno same day.
    4 inch is overkill for your car
    66mm turbo would make plenty of power for the street on these cars

Nice project you have. When will it be finished?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Fake news
    We picked up 30 rwhp on a 2.3 turbo mustang by putting a smaller sleeve in a ATR 3 inch downpipe. Same dyno same day.
    4 inch is overkill for your car
    66mm turbo would make plenty of power for the street on these cars

Nice project you have. When will it be finished?
    Lol? What do you mean put a smaller sleeve in a down pipe? I've never in my life heard of a turbo making more power with more restriction in the down pipe.

66mm will make plenty, sure, but not nearly enough for my future goal.

In my opinion, no such thing as over kill on a build that you care about.

As far as when it will be done, that is a question I ask myself every day lol. I just need to find the time. I already have allot of parts to install. But now that I don't have access to the shop anymore, I have to make things happen at home after work and school. But I'm making it happen

We put a smaller sleeve in the neck at the turbo, then the car made more power

Your turbo is too big. It is also way to big to make peak boost all the way back at the rear of the car. Good luck making 20 psi
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Anyone else thinking anti lag system?
    It's cool on rally cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    We put a smaller sleeve in the neck at the turbo, then the car made more power

Your turbo is too big. It is also way to big to make peak boost all the way back at the rear of the car. Good luck making 20 psi
    At the neck of the turbo? So you stepped UP to a 3" downpipe at the turbo. That would make sense. Because you are making MORE ROOM for the exhaust gasses to escape. I. E. Bigger downpipe equals more power. If you made more power by restricting the down pipe flow like diagram 1, Then you need to call a scientist immediately and report this defiance of basic fluid dynamics.

As far as judging the spool charictaristics of a turbo, the compressor size has little to do with spool. The turbine size /turbine housing /hotside pre turbo, and downpipe mostly determine the spool of a turbo to a given setup. My turbine size is significantly smaller than a normal 7xmm turbo. If anything my turbine housing may be a little big but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I don't know the exact sciences of sizing the wheels to the setup, but comp turbo does. Which is why I called them, and told them my EXACT setup. And they didn't pull a turbo off the shelf, they made the turbo to match the specs of my setup. So If you want to argue turbo sizing, go ahead and call comp and tell them their math is wrong.

Last edited by minimarine09; 07-20-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    Anyone else thinking anti lag system?
    It's cool on rally cars.
    Lol, that would be nasty but no. I wouldnt dare to put this turbo under that type of abuse. Maybe a cheap holset, or something that's easy to rebuild

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information