Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Risk? Even a Pinto has to be hit in the back.....

Fire Risk? Even a Pinto has to be hit in the back.....

The Pinto got a bad rap. It was no more dangerous than other small cars of the era.

I had read: The big settlement in question involved two girls who just filled up their Pinto on a foggy night in Indiana, they forgot to put the gas cap back on, so they stopped in the middle of the road to put the cap on. A driver of a work van behind them dropped a doobie, and bent down to pick it up. He rear ended the Pinto at highway speed and gas spewed every where , causing the flareup.

Not really a big deal nor a major concern.
    I mean, judging by all the dirty, peeling paint Hondas that I see on the road, few....if any.....wash their cars.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Blog Entries
    And Ford calculated the cost of sending Roses to the funeral as part of their cost decision as to whether or not to fix them or pay for the BBQ.....
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

sailsmen wrote: And Ford calculated the cost of sending Roses to the funeral as part of their cost decision as to whether or not to fix them or pay for the BBQ.....

https://users.wfu.edu/palmitar/Law&V...ett-pinto.html

I think the general cost calculator tool was not intended to be the final word ...a YES/NO on a specific design decision. (Buy your kids a big panther, and you won't have to worry as much!)
    Last edited by Agent2006; 02-16-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    sailsmen wrote: And Ford calculated the cost of sending Roses to the funeral as part of their cost decision as to whether or not to fix them or pay for the BBQ.....

https://users.wfu.edu/palmitar/Law&V...ett-pinto.html

I think the general cost calculator tool was not intended to be the final word ...a YES/NO on a specific design decision. (Buy your kids a big panther, and you won't have to worry as much!)
    Tell that to the police cruisers that were bursting into flames after being rear-ended. Better get your kids a 2003+ panther

Blog Entries
    "In 2001, Ford learned that a specific component – small tabs on the U-brackets attaching the rear stabilizer bar to the axle -- was contributing to a high incidence of post-impact fuel-fed fires in Crown Vics. In a crash the stabilizer bracket tabs are pushed forward into the tank and punctures it. Gas escapes, and a fire starts, which is continually fueled by gas draining from the puncture hole. These are hellish fires that burn savagely.
    In 2001, Ford changed the bracket design so it would not puncture tanks, but Ford did nothing to protect the public from this defect for the nearly three million Crown Vics made between 1992 through 2001that were on the road.
    Instead of notifying consumers or recalling the vehicles, Ford issued a “Technical Service Bulletin” advising repair facilities that the dangerous tabs on police cars [not regular Crown Vics owned by individuals] could be corrected by grinding off the U-bracket tabs -- a simple and extremely inexpensive fix that takes less than ten minutes and could be done with the U-brackets in place without removing the bracket from the vehicle.
    Ford had a duty to warn the public in 2001 and did nothing.".

Don't know how accurate the above is from a plaintiff atty website.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Tell that to the police cruisers that were bursting into flames after being rear-ended. Better get your kids a 2003+ panther
    Funny you two wrote this. Both of my boys drove/drive CVSports or HPPs.

All thier friends like the car. Another of the neighborhood friends drives his Dad's same era Northstar Caddy.

When I mentioned to the group that they all drove sleds... They all laughed and said, "That's cause they ride smooth!" I think this generation of kids (now 16-20) will be car guys n gals!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Arrow

sailsmen - "In 2001, Ford learned that a specific component – small tabs on the U-brackets attaching the rear stabilizer bar to the axle -- was contributing to a high incidence of post-impact fuel-fed fires in Crown Vics. In a crash the stabilizer bracket tabs are pushed forward into the tank and punctures it. Gas escapes, and a fire starts, which is continually fueled by gas draining from the puncture hole. These are hellish fires that burn savagely.
    In 2001, Ford changed the bracket design so it would not puncture tanks, but Ford did nothing to protect the public from this defect for the nearly three million Crown Vics made between 1992 through 2001that were on the road.
    Instead of notifying consumers or recalling the vehicles, Ford issued a “Technical Service Bulletin” advising repair facilities that the dangerous tabs on police cars [not regular Crown Vics owned by individuals] could be corrected by grinding off the U-bracket tabs -- a simple and extremely inexpensive fix that takes less than ten minutes and could be done with the U-brackets in place without removing the bracket from the vehicle.
    Ford had a duty to warn the public in 2001 and did nothing.".

Don't know how accurate the above is from a plaintiff atty website.
    And / +(plus) ... Fire Suppression System

Didn't catch fire (without either of the above) .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post

100% not factual, it should read after many departments screwed aftermarket equipment down and punctured the fuel tank, when it was hit, combined with the structural integrity of the tank being compromised with 30 holes in it, it spewed fuel on impact and caught fire.

With that said, the 25 years I have spent at a large SO, we have multitudes of vehicles in many different states of crashes that would have seemed like fire or death would have been a certainty, and officers mostly walked away, never a fatality or fire.

Actual real world facts, instead of made up internet rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Yep....and many of the CV fires resulted from numb nuts who were driving 70 mph and then plowed into the back of Police cruisers that were stopped on the shoulder.
    Not many vehicles are built for 70 mph rear end collisions.

Now...... back to the OP's topic of fiery HONDAs!!
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=1932

....minimum impact speed for the fatalities was 60 MPH. Federal standard for rear impacts was 35 mph, which the Ford passed no problem. Chevy 9C1 had a much higher death rate.

And? I read it on the internet, it’s fact? For certain..... high speed impacts can cause fire, no matter the vehicle choice. You should sell your Marauder, it’s unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    You should sell your Marauder, it’s unsafe.
    I sold mine because it was a fire hazard.....

to my wallet!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information