Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Mercury loves the low mercury!!

My Mercury loves the low mercury!!

55 this morning in Jupiter. The cold snap adds quite a snap to the stock MM.
    I was playing with a Dodge Dakota Sport (v8) at a light this morning and left two 20 foot strips with just a WOT go. Surprised the crap out of both of us and now he knows that a Marauder isn't just a black GM.
    Last edited by juno; 11-23-2005 at 05:47 AM.
    2003 300A Black MM
    3.73's, 3500 PI, T64e at 9.5 PSI
    Belts are for washing machines.
    Theme song (s) : Back in Black & Thunderstruck!!

Ride it like a Ford.!!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not a gynecologist....but I'll take a look at it.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean, had mine out for a drive this morning too.

Catchy title.

Yeah, the cold air is nice for these cars.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Had fun last night after work with the 40 degree temps ... love that cold, dense, inducted, compressed air ! ( Did I cover everyone ? )

"...went from sea level to 3k above... now all I do retune the toys..."

TripleTransAm Guest
    I've always noted a big change in this car's behaviour when the temperatures fell. Based on recollections of my track strip visits, I'd say the biggest difference came from the low end of the RPM range. I'd say there's something along the lines of knock retard or something that is not present at cold air temps that keeps the low end from falling on its face, either that or simply a matter of more dense air making up for the poor intake velocity at low RPM with these oversize heads.

Whatever the case, I was extremely surprised at how well my 2nd MM is taking to the cold weather. The powertrain on my second car seems more 'willing' than my 1st, and now with the cold weather it is just gliding on auto pilot. Very pleasant to drive. I wonder if this car could actually beat my 1st car on the track under similar conditions?

Drove the wife's Mustang GT today, accidentally got some rubber from a stoplight. Definitely like this cool dry air.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Yeap!

I had the car out both yesterday morning and today, and it's great!
    Best,
    Rick

2004 Silver Birch w/Light Flint Interior
    10.44 @ 131.66 MPH | 604 RWHP & 562 RWTQ

- Trilogy Supercharger #79 Twinscrew w/ 14PSI, Alternative Auto Forged 5.3 Stroker, Stage III Cams, JLT CAI, 405lph Return Fuel System, XL Heat Exchanger, 4.10's, Built Transmission, SCT 90MM MAF, Custom Tuned by Lidio.

- Kooks Headers. Magnaflow Cats & 18" Mufflers with 2.5" X-Pipe & Tailpipes. Megs' Res-Delete Tips

- Widened 9.5" Rear Rims w/Nitto NT555G2 Front Tires and NT555Rii Drag Radials.
       245/45/ZR18 & 305/45/ZR18. TCE Performance Brakes and SS lines.

- Spoiler, MMX Driveshaft, Metco Loop and Control Arms, ADTR Front and Addco Rear Sway Bars, Art Carr Transmission Pan, Eaton Posi, Stud & Girdle kit, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Marauder Door Sills, SS Inserts, Dynamat, Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX with 6x8" 260w Speakers and 12" 1400w Sub-woofer

TripleTransAm,

1. I think that I saw on one or two of your posts that you store some or all of your rides in the winter. I'll be doing the same w/ my Marauder, probably Dec. - March. It'll unfortunately be outside, but under a deck, and under a car cover. How much gas do you recommend I leave in the tank. What other storage measures, if any, do you recommend I take? I live in a cold climate.

2. Is your 14.56 car stock?

Thanks.

Question Laying rubber

What is a WOT go? Is it just punching it from a standstill? What's a good technique for burning rubber? Thanks, GJTcodered.

My MM ran smooth on those cool days. I could tell it had a little more power.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

WOT is just laying it to the pedal at take off.

Laying rubber on a naturally aspirated MM is best by brake torquing.

Hold the brake pedal just lightly, and let'er rip. I've learned as the rpm's increase this car just goes wild.

Love'it
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-White
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Silver
    2011 Ford Fusion SE

Retired 2003 Mercury Marauder/Trilogy 054
    Retired 2004. 13.00 on Nitrous safely tuned by Alt Auto.

Cool air

Even my daily driver 93' Vicki loves the cool air as well.
    Welcome to AMERICA.........Learn to speak English!

Quote Originally Posted by jstevens
    WOT is just laying it to the pedal at take off.

Laying rubber on a naturally aspirated MM is best by brake torquing.

Hold the brake pedal just lightly, and let'er rip. I've learned as the rpm's increase this car just goes wild.

Love'it
    With the mods listed below a pedal stomp will break the rear loose walking it to the right for second and a half. No snow or ice, just cold as hell out. Tires are 3K old

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mercfirst
    2. Is your 14.56 car stock?
    Totally stock. Only deviations from the factory "as delivered" conditions were the functioning oil pressure sensor and a 20% tint all around. Right down to the original factory air filter, too. The car ran 14.6s and 14.7s all night as I tried different techniques. I recall remarking how the low end response of the car totally changed with the cool night air.

As for car storage, it's much like an oil or wax discussion... each person's got their own technique and someone else is bound to disagree or comment on it. Personally, I try to make it as easy as possible on myself, since I'm on my 12th year of storing cars over the winter, and it can get old real quick. This is what I do, more or less in chronological order (easy to remember since I just parked the T/As for the winter earlier this week).

First, I tank up with a full tank of high octane fuel from a reputable source. By reputable I mean both brand AND station, since I've noticed varying results between stations of the same brand (results corroborated by others, so it's not just my opinion). Then I stick the car in my garage. In the case of my '78, I usually add gas stabilizer since it uses a carburetor and might take a bit longer to go through that tank in the spring since I tend to use the other cars more often for regular commuting, etc.

I don't often worry about putting stabilizer in my '98 and '87 since they're parked maybe 4 months or 4.5 months tops, and I tend to fire them up every month or two. I don't usually bother to unplug the battery... say what you will but I get 5-7 years out of all my batteries as it is without having to charge them over the winter until the last year of their life span. Of course, that all depends on the current draw when the car is stopped. so every case is different.

One of these days soon, I will pump up the tires to 40-44 psi to prevent flatspotting. I don't jack my cars up. None of them have sagged over time. Plus, I like my cars mobile in case of an emergency of any sort. Depending on the tire brand, 4 months of sitting on the same spot might be enough to flat spot them, so that's why I overinflate.

At some point in the next 2 weeks, I will change the oil. Old oil age-wise is just as bad as old oil mileage-wise, so I prefer not to leave the old oil fill in there. However, there have been situations in the past where I did not get the chance to do so, and I haven't lost sleep over it. Most of the time, I end up doing an oil change sometime in the fall, so at worst the oil is 6 months old when I finally do get to change it.

I don't cover my cars. If figure if there are some corrosive pollutants that will be deposited on my cars while sitting in the garage, paint damage is the least of my worries since I will be BREATHING that ***** while in there! So again I don't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita
    My MM ran smooth on those cool days. I could tell it had a little more power.
    Coldest morning here (so far ) No clue if I had more power, my teeth were chattering to much.

Wish I had bun warmers. Maybe Santa will bring them for me.

jeremy
    Last edited by jdando; 12-19-2005 at 06:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information