Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret ways to remove smoker smell...

Secret ways to remove smoker smell...

I didn't notice untill after owning my car for a few days but it has a very slight hint of ciggy smoke. If the car sits all day outside my office I get in and its kinda easy to tell she was smoked in. The good news however is I havn't found a single burn spot.

Here's my plan of attack.

Shampooing carpets. (already did the floor mats)
    Using leather conditioner.
    Shampooing the head liner. (If I sniff the headliner/visor thats where most of it is) Then febreezing the hell out of it...

Just wondering if there are any "magic" fixes. I'm not a smoker nor have I had to deal with this before.

Thanks guys.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

I've never shampoo'd a headliner. If I were you I would first look into the cost of a new one from Ford. One reason being it might be cheap enough for you to get a new one and install it, the other reason to be prepared if you do damage to this one while cleaning it.

Good luck!

when detailing, usually they do not included headliner in the cost. and believe it or not the additional fee is almostas much as getting the motor detailed. its like an additional 35 bucks. mabe b/c its a PITA or requires special treatment

I agree with not trying to shampoo the headliner. You'll probably just loosen the adhesive holding the foam backed material on & end up replacing it anyway.

Clean everything else real well & be sure to put some conditioner on the leather if you use any cleaners on it. Maybe even ever so lightly mist the headliner with Febreze. Again LIGHTLY, don't soak it.

Something else you can try ... get yourself some coffee grounds. Yes COFFEE GROUNDS.

Find something just tall enough to put a decent layer of the coffee grounds on the bottom of it, but keep the grounds from getting all over the floor.(piece of tupperware/pie tin etc etc. If you can leave the car sealed up for a few days with the grounds in it(as in NOT drive it), even better.

The coffee grounds can help draw out & absorb offensive odors. And yes before you ask, your car WILL smell like coffee grounds when you're done, but the coffee odor does NOT liinger in the car for long(couple days at the most).

I've done this in the past on cars that were in the bodyshop & had lingering odors of body work supplies/paint etc etc & it worked very well. This lil' trick was told to me by a friend that's been detailing cars for over 50 years(you read correct - OVER 50 years).

It was time for a new signature .....

Here it is .....

X

Febreze works well.
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

It might pay you to remove the "hush" panel below the passenger's dash and vaccum the blower fan intake area. That area is pretty gross typically - especially when the car has automatic temperature control. You can also affix a fabric softener sheet with a nice smell over the intake area to help filter out particulate crud and give the a/c ducts a freshened-up scent. Oh, by the way, start the car and turn ATC to 60* and the recirculation door will open and allow you to do a little more cleaning.

Most auto parts stores carry an a/c evaporator cleaning spray which may help in the duct work. It is usually alcohol based and you can spray it directly into the fan intake. Just follow directions on the product.

Good luck,

J
    Alex, you'll always be with us!
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport 230A
    Bone Stock (Really, would I lie?)
    I couldn't see destroying a Marauder as my daily driver!
    '03 Marauder 300B as in blue
    DOB 5/12/03 - adopted12/01/06
    1 of 328
    SS Inserts

OK heres the top secret method
    A box of arm and hammer baking soda, Just open the box and leave it in the car overnight that will absorb the odors, or you can go the old fashioned route like guys would do when a car was flooded and had a mildew smell in it, Cut a few potatoes in half and leave them under the seat and in the back seat. That will draw the odors also.
    Sounds crazy I know ,but it does work
    When all else fails, Find a detailing shop in your area and have the interior shampooed. It can even bring the new car smell back.
    I was lucky and my MM was never smoked in so it has a hint of new car smell still in it.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Don't know what your temps are like nowadays, but my wife bought a car with smoke smell that reared its head a few weeks after we got it. (i.e. the dealer had shampooed because we had asked about not getting one that was previously a smoker car) We left it in the driveway, windows down for an afternoon in the sun. Then the next few days we drove around with windows open, and it was gone. Sunshine and fresh air worked for us.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

We got the stink out of a car pretty good by running an inozation machine in it overnight with the doors closed.
    I figured that if it can get the stink out of an office space, it would do wonders in the car!

You results may vary...... stink is tough.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

I was going to say baking soda at night for a few days(with windows closed), then follow up with Damp Rid for a night or two. If ya got some sunny days, open all windows and the sun and fresh air will do wonders too.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

What Rich said above..I had to stay at hotel once and they used an ion machine to rid it of a smoky smell. I didn't think it would work, but had to admit after 24 hours the odor was gone.

JR

2003 Black MM 300A
    Build date: 6/4/02
    Start date:11/16/02
    Adopted 10/22/04
    #507 of 7838
    *40% Tint
    2011 Pearlwhite Nissan Maxima

We used an Ion machine when I used to detail cars...it worked wonders....DO NOT CLEAN HEADLINER...the sticky will unstick and your liner will have upside down hills....We also took out the seats to make sure we shampoo'd all the carpet, but be careful if you go that route, you have to get the seats out a certain way and put them back in the same way...
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC
    I didn't notice untill after owning my car for a few days but it has a very slight hint of ciggy smoke.
    Looks like you have gotten lots of advice on how to get rid of the odor.

I am a smoker; but decided on the day that I picked up my MM that I wouldn't smoke in it at all. Now 28 months later, I don't even feel the need while I am driving. Even on the long trip to Detroit for MV III/WDC last year, I never even noticed it.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Smoke can dissolve the headliner and other interior glues. That's why the headliner droops down in some old hoopties. Nearly every vehicle I see with the headliner fabric hanging down has a driver with a cigarette in his/her mouth. One thing to check when buying a used car is whether there is any evidence of ashes in the ash tray.

Having replaced a few headliners....

All of what was mentioned above actually breakes down the FOAM of the headliner. The result is the same, the cloth bubbles and sags.

I have used a product called OZIUM very successfully. Get a bottle from your local auto parts store. Spray carpets, headliner, etc. Spray from a distance that the aerosol is almost dry when it hits.

The secret: turn the vent on full blast. For the jap cars, no recirc. The air is sucked in under the wiper blades. Spray OZIUM into that vent near the wiper blades.

I use the above technique for trucks that collect leaves in that vent. They eventually start a stink. the OZIUM works great.

Be prepared. The stuff smells like a hospital!

Good Luck
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information