Thread: My Marauder Story

My Marauder Story

I once had a 1969 Marauder X100, so when the new Marauders came out in 2003 I knew that I had to have one. After some due diligence I learned that they took a steep hit when they drove off the lot. I couldn't in good conscience buy one with that much immediate depreciation. One day after sitting on the sidelines and trolling the Marauder websitesI saw a TV documentary on the "Boy Racer" (2005 Mustang). Well, I ordered a white 2005 GT with help from BigSlims X-plan. After waiting six months I learned that my local dealer didn't have the necessary allotments for my order (damn I was pissed). I finally found one on the showroom floor in California and had it delivered up here to Seattle.

I had red stripes painted to match the boy racer and I was in hog heaven. Later that year my father got ill and it was necessary for me to transport him to and from the hospital. The first time he rode in it he grimaced all the way home...the stiff suspension was too much for him. A week later I got my first speeding ticket in 25 years and I wasn't even speeding. I took a picture to the judge and he stated that "that car looks like it's going 100mph standing still, but since you don't have any evidence to dispute the radar the ticket stands". Well as karma set in I sold the Mustang and renewed my search for a Marauder. I figured my dad would be more comfortable and surely nobody would ticket me in a cop car.

I found a DTR on autotrader in Ft. Collins Colorado with 13K on the clock and bought one-way tickets to Denver for my wife and I. We bought the Marauder and proceeded to drive it the 1300 miles home. We drove thru Buford Wyoming (hence my avatar) and were in Idaho (just outside Utah) and it was 70 outside at dusk and within 25 minutes the temperature dropped to 25 degrees with tumbleweeds blowing across the highway. It started snowing and we were in the nastiest blizzard I've ever been in and we were dressed for summer with no coats or anything. The wipers turned into clubs of ice and it was all we could do to keep the windshield defrosted. Well we made it home and I noticed the rear tires were bald...We were in a hurry and so excited to purchase the car that I failed to notice this minor detail. The Marauder's traction control kept us safe during that trip.

My father appreciated the fact that I had a more comfortable car to take him back and forth to the hospital. I then started my quest for mods (4.10's with girdle, Lidio tune, Resonator delete tips) and I was set for a while. Well my Pop passed away last year and I stopped driving the Marauder. I have four other cars and I just didn't want to put high mileage on the MM. I just happened to catch a thread on this site about someone fairly local that wanted a Marauder and I offered up the red sled. It's not a done deal yet, but when the new owner gets it I'm sure he'll have some stories to add to mine. I'll be sad to see her go, but glad that an enthusiast will take care of her. I'll let him chime in when he takes delivery.

Ken (aka junior)
    Last edited by junior; 09-24-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Former owner of a 2004 DTR MM

sorry to hear about your dad, mine passed away 8-10-07 and I still miss him. As far as the DTR, it won't ever look as good or sound as mean as it will when its driving away....then its gone!!!

'95 S/C Mustang GT aka "A'Teala" da' Run-caretaker since May '97
    '00 Lightning aka QuickSilver da'Toy Truck #3407 of 4966 born on 5/30/00-caretaker since May '01
    '03 Marauder 300A aka Blacular #1850 of 7838 #1850 of 7093 Black born on 6/24/02-caretaker since Mar '11 - 9/9/13..R.I.P You'll be missed.
    '03 Marauder 300A aka MarTilda #2215 of 7838 #2215 of 7093 Black born on 7/15/02 -caretaker since 9/26/13

Thanks Derrick, It brought tears just writing that up. At least I know she will be in good hands.

May he rest in peace sir
    cheers

Sam

Thanks for the replies...The new owner picked the red sled up this morning...yes, it was sentimental seeing him drive it away. Congrats on your new dream car Anthony84.

P.S. BTW Anthony, traction control in wet weather only gets you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    Thanks for the replies...The new owner picked the red sled up this morning...yes, it was sentimental seeing him drive it away. Congrats on your new dream car Anthony84.

P.S. BTW Anthony, traction control in wet weather only gets you so far.
    Thank you for helping me make the dream a reality, Junior.

The history and loving care that car has had will continue, started a journal/scrapbook last night to put all the papers into and to continue adding to it. Certificate from Ford ordered yesterday as well.

My boss, fiance, and myself are all impressed with the condition and care the car has had...and I still grin constantly...even walking to it. Finally let her rest at 11 p.m. last night after showing it off to everyone I know here.
    Current cars:

2003 Marauder (*mostly* all original)
    2020 Kia Niro Hybrid (wife’s car & our commuter)

Previously owned a 2004 DTR and a 2003 DBP…and 76 other vehicles but we don’t have time to list all that.

such a great story. i send my condolences.
    2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX sport. 53,600 original miles when purchased. Marauder 80mm MAF, Mo's speed shop 87/93 tune on the way, ADTR custom ceramic coated 80mm high flow intake pipe on the way, Reinhart heatshield with JLT and S&B CAI filters, Dual thunderbolt mufflers [Flowmaster 40 series knockoffs], Marauder Tips. Panther Lover.

Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 09-01-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

I was playing the market for a living in 2001. My Dad's docs in Minnesota said he could no longer live alone so I moved him to California with me. I had a 1987 T-Bird. The seats were cloth and the door opening was not wide enough for him to get in easily. We put garbage bags on the seat so he could slide in. I got a job and after 2 months I bought my 2003 Marauder. The door was wide enough and the leather seats allowed him to slide in without a garbage bag. I managed to sell the T-Bird for $1500 on eBay. A guy bought it for his nephew who was into 1987 T-Birds. Kid drove over from AZ with a friend on a Saturday and picked the car up Sunday morning. He had already printed a temp AZ plate to put on the car. After a couple of years I decided the Marauder was going to be the car I owned when I die. After all the T-Bird lasted me over 20 years. The Marauder is roomy and just right for a big old fat guy. So I bought a 2006 Fusion to be my 110 mile daily driver. Needless to say my Dad could not get into the Fusion so the Marauder got a weekly workout going to doctors.

He passed in May, 2009. Can't believe it has been over 4 years.

I retired in March this year. The Fusion has over 140,000 miles and the Marauder has 110,000. The Marauder gets a bit more use now but the Fusion is the go to car. I will drive it into the ground.

I just had the same model audio system put in both cars. This allows me to USB connect my 150 gig of music to either car using a SSD drive.
    2003 Marauder 1907 of 7838
    Built 06/24/02 Bought 10/25/02 Sold 1/5/19
    Reinhart chip,stat,plugs
    McGard locks
    Mercury logo valve/plate bolt caps
    Bob White black reflective letters
    Pioneer AVH-X2500BT
    Kicker 10" sub and 250 watt amp
    Gods Head spinners by Jerry

Junior. Thank you for sharing your story and cudo's to you for selling to a younger/another Marauder owner.

All of our condolences with you and all others who lost their fathers.

Funny I didn't realize that after I bought my marauder in Tennessee, I drove it straight to Oklahoma to show it to my father... He loved it,

Thank you for helping us all to see more clearly the important things in life.
    Your story brought tears to my eyes... So Friday night "Cheers to all of our fathers...
    Last edited by 1Marauder; 10-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Junior. Thank you for sharing your story and cudo's to you for selling to a younger/another Marauder owner.

All of our condolences with you and all others who lost their fathers.

Funny I didn't realize that after I bought my marauder in Tennessee, I drove it straight to Oklahoma to show it to my father... He loved it,

Thank you for helping us all to see more clearly the important things in life.
    Your story brought tears to my eyes... So Friday night "Cheers to all of our fathers...
    I'm no longer a Marauder owner, but still feel like I belong here. Thanks, and I'll drink to that after I get off work!

As long as we're into dad stories...........

I still remember my dad, a guy that loved to drive, who taught me how to drive a 52 Plymouth stick when I was 15, who loved used Caddies and Buicks, who came to this country from Italy as a little kid, who never passed the 6th grade, who never took lessons but could play the accordian and piano, who almost cried when he had to give up his car keys.....

Now, mom and dad are both up on a mountaintop in New England where they loved to vacation. RIP.
    Last edited by jerrym3; 10-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Thread Information