Thread: Musclemerc Is Back And He's Bringing New Power With Him

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Musclemerc Is Back And He's Bringing New Power With Him

I felt the need for more power so I called an old friend from SVTperformance.com and talked him out of the Terminator engine he's been holding for the past 7 years. The block is 100% stock and had about 27,000mi on it when he pulled it for an Aluminator.

I had just completed the construction of my new home shop so time is on my side. I now have plenty of space for my projects and weather wont affect my getting it done.

I found a buyer for my stock Marauder block so I got the green light to move ahead with the new build. The owner of my original block is a fellow Marauder owner that I bartered with for a set of widened wheels. This was a WIN for both parties.

I came up with a list and a plan for new power and the first must was a driver side inlet. This need left me with only 1 option. Call James Hell....
    He's the owner of Cobra Engineering. After placing my parts order with him I made a cut sheet on parts I wanted.

This is the component list for my new build.

Engine Components:

Terminator Forged Short Block (stock)
    2003 MM Heads with 9 thread inserts
    Melling HV Oil Pump
    Terminator Lower Intake
    Griffin high flow intercooler
    FRPP GT500 TVS Supercharger Gen1
    VMP Gen1 TVS elbow
    VMP Mechanical Super Cobra Jet SBTB
    Cobra Engineering GT500 adapter plate kit
    Cobra Engineering Rear Cooling Mod
    GT500 Slot MAF
    JLT Carbon Fiber CAI
    Innovators West Harmonic Balancer with Metco Adapter
    Metco Stock lower ring
    Billet Flow 2:93 upper pulley (93oct)
    Billet Flow 2:76 upper pulley (race gas)
    LFP 10 rib Idler Pulley
    Jerry's SS COT tube
    Jerry's HD SC brackets
    Thump RRR SC Tensioner
    Thump RRR 76mm idler
    Custom 10pint Intercooler Reservoir
    Frozen Boost Type 100 Heat Exchanger

Fuel System:

FRPP 60lb injectors
    Stock Fuel Rails
    Dual GT supercar pumps
    Dual FPDM's
    Dual (in tank) Wiring
    full wiring upgrade
    KB BAP w/4lb hobbs switch

Drivetrain:

PRW 8 Bolt Flex Plate
    PI 3000 stall
    4R70E Built Transmission
    31 Spline Axles
    Cobra C/F Differential
    FRPP 4:10's

Exhaust:

Stainless Works LT Headers
    Full 3" SS mandrel bent exhaust
    Stock resonated tips

I picked up a slightly used Ford Racing TVS 2300. I chose a Gen1 unit mostly because it has the removable elbow. This makes injector, COP, and plug swaps on the DS a breeze. With the 1 piece unit you must remove the SC to access the back of the cylinder.

The OEM Gen2 TVS was a no go for me because I would have to send it out to BPS to have the 5.8L logo machined off. Although the inlet is larger than the Gen1. I felt it was a small trade off. Here's the SC after I received it.

VMP performance quickly became my go to place for questions and TVS specific parts. I ordered the "elbow" for my SC and also sprung for a mechanical Cobra Jet single blade throttle body. I also picked up a TVS pulley puller kit. All I can say is they're second to none with their support and products.

The throttle body opening is BIG...

My next purchase was an impulse buy. Everyone knows I'm a short tube guy but, to make serious power I had to come to the reality long tube headers are the only way to go. I didn't want any BS so I ordered a set of Stainless Works headers. Took them a month to get here but it was well worth the wait. Their quality is second to none.

My next round of parts were some of the hardest to find. With all the Terminator swaps and the age of the Cobra's the lower intakes, IC pass through plates, and valley heater hoses are getting harder and harder to find. After months of looking I got the needed parts, cleaned them up, and got them on the shelf.

My next task was to shake down Jerry. There was no way I was going to go through this build and not use his custom bits. At first he was hard to find but after I made some noise I got him on the phone and he started making my parts. I ordered his HD supercharger bracket and SS COT, in the end I ended up with a whole lot more. Thanks Jerry for helping me pull this off!!!

At this point parts are ordered, commitments were made, the new engine is on the stand, and parts are being shipped in. I took a long stare at my hollowed out engine bay and went through a thorough degreasing of the K member.

The birds nest that had become of the AC system bothered me the most. I ordered a stronger material from DEI and made this from 1 solid piece of aluminum coated insulation. It was a PITA but the finished product was just as I imagined it

Last edited by musclemerc; 01-20-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Thread Information