Thread: PS3 Marauder Theme

PS3 Marauder Theme

Revision 1

A few months ago, I asked some of you PS3 and/or photography buffs for some hi-res Marauder--preferably action--shots in order to compile (what I thought was) the best into a Mercury Marauder theme for the Sony Playstation 3. As of now, I've got a working theme, although there is still a ways to go.

I've carefully photoshopped (actually GIMPed) out anonymous license plate numbers, road signs, and other blemishes as I saw fit. Seeing as how it took me 5 months to get this far (work, camping, booze, females, cigars, and my MM were higher on my priority list), don't expect the update schedule to accelerate, although I would love input about what you like/dislike and if anything fails to function, as I would like to hone it a bit.

Get the marauder.p3t from the following link into the \PS3\THEME folder of your storage device, insert said storage into the PS3, and install from the Settings > Theme menu. If this is your first theme, Google about PS3 theme changes and try some of the established themes and methods. You might be able to navigate to this thread on your PS3's browser and download it directly. Due to my insistence on hi-res backgrounds, the theme is a whopping 16mb, so don't expect the download, transfer, or installation to go quickly.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/126985995/marauder.p3t

Status 4 July 2008:
    Happy Independence Day! Theme has non-default icon set and will change background everytime it is re-applied or the PS3 is rebooted. Can't confirm if the theme runs on firmware 2.40 as I'm still running 2.36 until the f/w is re-posted. Should be compatible with both HD (720/1080) and SD (480) resolutions. One of the times I re-applied in HD, I got the default wavy lines screen, so I think the PS3 hates one of the HD jpgs I loaded with the xml.

Icons: Stolen from a sample theme creator. It's the original Sony icon tileset, skewed and tinted. Not terrible, but needs to be Marauderized.

Backgrounds: 8 pictures selected by a committee of xopher, myself, and I. Here are the 8 in SD (the HD ones look great if you're running 1080):

I wanted action shots, but I wanted to stay away from burnouts, unless the pics are really tastefully done. I also started with no less than 16:9 and 1080 to eliminate any possible upscaling artifacts in my pretty, pretty MMs.

Anyways, there's the theme and the images. In my spare time, I'll consider revisiting the icon set if divine inspiration strikes me, and I'll consider changing out some of the backgrounds in the next revision if decent hi-res action shots emerge.

Enjoy!
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires
    Wish list: Eaton M112 kit and/or get bored and stroke it to a 5.0L

Don't let friends drive stockers:

Damn good job. I'll let you know how it looks on my Samsung 56" DLP.

Im a xbox 360 player, any screen caps of the finished product?

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LilCop2002 View Post
    Damn good job. I'll let you know how it looks on my Samsung 56" DLP.
    56MX195? I think we have the same TV And when the screen is that big, you can notice how crappy lo-res images look.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    Im a xbox 360 player, any screen caps of the finished product?
    Unfortunately, I don't have the setup to capture my PS3 output, so I copied and pasted the icons being used in the XMB onto one of the backgrounds so you can get a feel for how it looks. Those who don't have a PS3, but do own Sony TVs/DVD players/Bluray players might recognize this icon spread as being very similar to your device's main menu:

Others who have downloaded and successfully installed, please let me know what you think, aesthetically or technically, good, bad or ugly.

I just sent you a few more pics via PS3.

Hey, do you have another link for this or could you post it again online? The link is invalid anymore...Thanks!
    2003 300a Black

Old PS3 Marauder theme re-uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by neowire2002 View Post
    Hey, do you have another link for this or could you post it again online? The link is invalid anymore...Thanks!
    I was certain I had lost it, but I just found it buried on a USB drive. Now, it hasn't had any updates in 2.5 years, so it might no longer be compatible with the current PS3 firmware, but you can give it a shot and see what happens. Since it's so outdated, install at your own risk and backup any important stuff from your PS3 before trying it, but to make sure you don't lose anything important. Reposted on rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/444369157/marauder.p3t

As a special bonus, I also found the original 8 background images I used, in both standard def and high def, zipped them up and uploaded them as well. There's some good wallpaper material in here, and if someone is ambitious, they could find the tools to build another PS3 theme from the ground up with these as a start: http://rapidshare.com/files/444369916/marauder.zip

Good luck!
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires
    Wish list: Eaton M112 kit and/or get bored and stroke it to a 5.0L

Don't let friends drive stockers:

Thanks man, I was wondering what happened to it!
    2003 Black w/Charcoal int. #1301 of the 7839

Current Mods: Lidio 93 3.55 Tune, JLT Intake, Steeda under drive pulleys, Stewart water pump, 180 T-stat, Progard, REAL oil pressure gauge w/ stock face

Current Features:
    6 CD changer, trunk organizer, McGard Wheel locks, domed silver inserts

Coming soon: 4.10s? (maybe)

My baby's theme song?
    Heavy Metal (takin' a ride) 1981 (Don Felder)

Thread Information