Thread: What to Look For In Purchasing Used Marauder

What to Look For In Purchasing Used Marauder

Hey guys,

I've been looking at Marauders since I sold my pickup. Is there any particular things to look out for in these cars before buying? I know with my truck I had to look for vacuum lines disintegrating, worn out ball joints, throttle position sensor and such.

I live in a the Midwestern US but, I'm looking in the Texas area to avoid getting a rusty one and find even more possible problems.

Dropped valve seats, slipping transmissions, inop EATCs, inop blower motor resistors, inop blend door actuators, stripped adjustable pedal gears, inop heated seats, inop sunroofs...these things are loaded with issues...
    ~Jon Barstow
    *2004 Mercury Marauder
    *1979 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by H_M_T_81 View Post
    Dropped valve seats, slipping transmissions, inop EATCs, inop blower motor resistors, inop blend door actuators, stripped adjustable pedal gears, inop heated seats, inop sunroofs...these things are loaded with issues...
    EATC (you can replace your own o-rings with the help of people here), BCM and LCM (you can have repaired and install yourself), and Blend door motor (you can buy a new one and install yourself but I hear is a PIA)

If the valve seats were dropped, surely the car wouldn't run very well, would it? Also, how common is the valve seat issue?

I'm fairly certain most if not all modern cars have damper actuators, are these more prone to fail? What about the blower motor resistor?

I heard the CV's have heater core problems, I would think the same on the marauder, right?

Lemme set things straight.

MMs do not have dropped valve-seat issues commonly. Yes, it has occurred, but is not common.

Blend-door actuator failure is fairly common across the whole Panther plaform, not just with the Marauder. The part is inexpensive, but the labour to replace it sucks.

Panthers with EATC, which includes all Marauders, do not have a blower motor resistor, they have a BCM...Blower Control Module...which does experience failure and is a semi-PITA to access, but the repair is simple and a replacement module (if needed) is relatively low-cost.

I have not heard of heater cores being an issue.

The adjustable pedal issue is pretty much resolved thanks to the Curless Cure.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

floating center caps

no really, i look for noisy engines ,smooth shifting transmissions, interior and body damage.
    obviously functioning controls, lights windows etc.
    if there are any doubts pay a mechanic to do a once over. usually 50-75 bucks.

good luck
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

I love my MM, but these things have lots of little issues. Not all are a big deal or should prevent a purchase.

Good luck.
    (Sold ) 2003 300A Black/Black.

BC4E dead pedal - JLT intake - Jmod - Rear cat delete - Lowered - MuscleMerc cooling mod - TCE SS brake lines - drill/slotted rotors - red stock calipers - 410s - Badgeless grill - Custom rear badge - JLT oil separator

facebook.com/bradtaylor33

Remember, eventhough they are special cars they are just cars. There are no normal issues or even the unusual issues with these cars that the very knowledeable and crazy people on here can't help you fix. Most times in person depending on where your at...

Quote Originally Posted by L.Mark View Post
    Remember, eventhough they are special cars they are just cars. There are no normal issues or even the unusual issues with these cars that the very knowledeable and crazy people on here can't help you fix. Most times in person depending on where your at...
    Great point right there. I've resolved most issues I've had with the help of MM.net.
    (Sold ) 2003 300A Black/Black.

BC4E dead pedal - JLT intake - Jmod - Rear cat delete - Lowered - MuscleMerc cooling mod - TCE SS brake lines - drill/slotted rotors - red stock calipers - 410s - Badgeless grill - Custom rear badge - JLT oil separator

facebook.com/bradtaylor33

Quote Originally Posted by 93flareside View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been looking at Marauders since I sold my pickup. Is there any particular things to look out for in these cars before buying? I know with my truck I had to look for vacuum lines disintegrating, worn out ball joints, throttle position sensor and such.

I live in a the Midwestern US but, I'm looking in the Texas area to avoid getting a rusty one and find even more possible problems.
    Big smiles (and empty wallets) are the most common defects.
    03 Black MM: Trilogy #19, Build Date 04/02/03 #7113
    03 SB MM: Lidio Tune/JLT CAI DD Build Date 04/02/03 #7114

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDOHC View Post
    Big smiles (and empty wallets) are the most common defects.
    Perfect!

So some moderate HVAC issues but, nothing mechanical to be worried about. Just keep up on regular PM stuff. Sounds like my kind of car.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Regular maintanence and you will be fine, if it breaks fix it asap and keep it movin.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Thread Information