Thread: Help, MM won't start

Help, MM won't start

My bad,
    I left my 2003 Marauder sit for a year without driving it and it won't start.
    I had to put a new battery in and then started it and it ran for about 15 seconds and shut off.
    It would not restart. I bought a new fuel filter but have not installed it yet but I can smell gas when I turn it over
    Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Can you hear the pump cycle?

its flooded. yes with efi it does happen.

I would turn the key on, floor the gas pedal to shut off the injectors, and then crank the car over for about 20 seconds. This will clear the flooded spark plugs.

Then shut the key off and wait a few seconds and start the car normal. See what happens.

Year old gas will burn just fine, so i would try what i mentioned and see what the car does.

You say it smells like gas, like its flooded. But i also had a car that smelled like gas and the fuel pump driver module kept the pump from working.

smack the tank real hard to see if the pump starts working if it doesnt fire up after you try my first piece of advice.

you can remove the gas cap and listen for the pump to work, if its not working, then the pump is locked up and may work if you beat on the tank... yes this method has worked in the past, and you will need to buy a new fuel pump.
    I sell the fuel pump drivers on ebay for about 30.00, but at this point i dont think you need it.
    Bryan
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

When it does start, I suggest Seafoam gas additive and a long gentle freeway drive to clean out and use the older gas.
    Last edited by 1Marauder; 10-09-2018 at 05:25 AM.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    its flooded. yes with efi it does happen.

I would turn the key on, floor the gas pedal to shut off the injectors, and then crank the car over for about 20 seconds. This will clear the flooded spark plugs.

Then shut the key off and wait a few seconds and start the car normal. See what happens.

Year old gas will burn just fine, so i would try what i mentioned and see what the car does.

You say it smells like gas, like its flooded. But i also had a car that smelled like gas and the fuel pump driver module kept the pump from working.

smack the tank real hard to see if the pump starts working if it doesnt fire up after you try my first piece of advice.

you can remove the gas cap and listen for the pump to work, if its not working, then the pump is locked up and may work if you beat on the tank... yes this method has worked in the past, and you will need to buy a new fuel pump.
    I sell the fuel pump drivers on ebay for about 30.00, but at this point i dont think you need it.
    Bryan
    I'm having a similar problem. Car sat since the early summer and now it just cranks and won't start.

I tried resetting the fuel cutoff in the trunk, no luck.
    I checked the relay and I don't think that's the problem (swapped it with another relay of the same part # and still no luck).
    I haven't tried to smack the tank....yet.

Could it be fuel pump driver module that you mention? I do see your ebay store with the item for sale. Where is this module on the car? I'm willing to try to the $30 option if smacking the tank doesn't do any good.

2003 Mercury Marauder - 300A (Born 9/02, Purchased 1/16/04)
    • 1 Coil Cut Off Front Springs & Rear Air Suspension Lowered
    • PIAA Xtreme White 9007's
    • Red Reflective "MARAUDER" Inserts
    • JLT Performance Intake
    • Accufab Throttle Body
    • SCT-1725 Tuned
    • Borla Mufflers

Before replacing stuff start with the basics.
    Fuses under dash and under hood.
    Test fuel pressure before replacing pumps or filters.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

I thought you couldn't run seafoam with catalytic converters?

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    No worries. You can safely put Seafoam in your oil, your gas, or your intake manifold if you follow directions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    No problem... I use it in all my cars.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Check the fuel rail pressure sensor, passenger side front of the motor on the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum hose off see if you smell fuel, they can fail and will flood the engine. I helped a guy here with a no start, it was flooding badly and that was the issue. Good luck.
    1987 GN running 10's. 2003 MM Blue Sold and dearly missed!
    2003 Black 300B
    Procharger P1sc with air to air intercooler
    3,000 PI converter
    4.10 Eaton posi 31 spline carrier
    Moser 31 spline axles
    Koos headers, with custom stainless exhaust, Megs tips
    Carbon fiber drive shaft
    Metco control arms
    Every autometer procomp gauge in the catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPanther View Post
    Before replacing stuff start with the basics.
    Fuses under dash and under hood.
    Test fuel pressure before replacing pumps or filters.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Check the fuel rail pressure sensor, passenger side front of the motor on the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum hose off see if you smell fuel, they can fail and will flood the engine. I helped a guy here with a no start, it was flooding badly and that was the issue. Good luck.
    What they said.

Thread Information